Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Off-Kee
Nameless Being

Stephen King's The Stand - Original, Edited, Ebook?

Hello, all -- long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I've been almost solely motivated to create an account in the hope that you vendor-savvy folks can help me find Stephen King's The Stand, as it was published in 1978.

I haven't read it (I only began reading King's books this year), but I've heard a resounding 'meh' from all sides regarding the extra 150,000 words added in the later, un-edited re-release -- which includes, from the looks of things, Amazon's ebook edition.

Are there any ebook vendors which you know, with certainty, to stock the original 1978 publication, or is this edition not 'in print', so to speak?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
FWIW, back in the 80's, I bought both editions in paperback. I bought and read the shorter one first, and I was more than pleased to find the longer one, which I promptly read and preferred. I still have them, with the longer one now being held together with duck tape, that's how many times it was read (and not only by me). When I got into ereaders, I bought the ebook from kobo and read it again. I know it's all a matter of opinion, if some found the longer version to be not to their liking, but I enjoyed the way King developed his characters back in the day. When my memory of the shorter version was a lot fresher than it is now, I recall thinking that the lengthier version did a better job of rounding out the characters in the book. Some long books I've read got tedious (like Diana Gabaldon's "Fiery Cross", for example). I did not find that to be the case with The Stand, even with the extra length.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question, but I just thought I would mention that you might not mind the longer version.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'd second most of what 49Kat said, I see no good reason to search for the old version, and some good ones for reading the "uncut" version - some of the additional material is very good. Maybe some of the inserts/updates weren't perfect, but it remains an excellent book.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Off-Kee
Nameless Being

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm by no means scared away by the amount of extra content (IT was amazing, and I've read Tolstoy's War & Peace), but I do stand by my request for the original edit, if it's available electronically. If my request is out of line for this kind of forum, then I apologise, but I'd prefer knowing whether or not the original text is available electronically, rather than being told I shouldn't bother to try to find it. If it's not available, I'll buy the new version -- but my preference, at least for my first experience with the book, remains firmly in the 'original' camp.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
In which case I suspect you will have to resort to searching second-hand bookshops for a paper copy. According to the author website:
Quote:
This edition is no longer in print following the 1990 publication of The Stand: The Complete & Uncut Edition
I would expect "in print" to apply to electronic editions too (I could be wrong, but it seems unlikely).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Off-Kee
Nameless Being

Thank you, gmw. I hadn't looked at the author website, only in various vendors. I suppose I'll be purchasing the newer edition, after all.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just buy a used copy.

There are used bookstores in my cities. There should be many used copies in paperback of the first version from 1978.

Or try ebay for a used copy.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Amazon has a used section on The Stand First Edition

The Stand First Edition 1978

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've got both in paperback and there isn't a great deal of difference. A few new characters pop up and old characters get to have a few more scenes and that's about the extent of the differences. In the uncut edition Stephen King even says that not everything that was cut originally was put back in. Some of it was left on the cutting room floor where it belonged.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I don't know if you can check out books from Openlibrary.org, but it looks like there is an ebook copy that *says* copy write 1980. I did a search for "The Stand" not Stephen King, by the way. Now, I don't know for sure if that means it's the old version or not, and I can't check it out right now because it is checked out, but it's the only place I've seen the original in ebook.
Hope it helps.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Open Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I don't know if you can check out books from Openlibrary.org, but it looks like there is an ebook copy that *says* copy write 1980. I did a search for "The Stand" not Stephen King, by the way. Now, I don't know for sure if that means it's the old version or not, and I can't check it out right now because it is checked out, but it's the only place I've seen the original in ebook.
Hope it helps.
S
The Stand

Actually it says '28 editions First published in 1978' which implies to me that i's just like any of the available ebooks and is not the original, but instead is the re-edited and added-to version.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Off-Kee
Nameless Being

Thanks, folks - used paper books have a tendency to disagree with my eyesight. I've purchased the uncut ebook. (Along with a whole troupe of other Stephen King books... Oh dear.)