Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #46
wwat
Enthusiast
wwat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, iPod
I note that hieronymos in his post (copy below) mentioned that we don't need to root the device if we have access to a Linux box, what about a Mac?
Can someone please posts the commandline script for this if it is possible via a Mac.

Many thanks,
W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
[Whole thing is obsolete since 19/12/2011 update. New procedure here www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1890381&postcount=33]]

Note that you don't necessarily need root, if you have access to some Linux somewhere, as you can remount /system as rw and then just push the apk to /system/app through adb:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=46

Oh, and you can get the Market here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.ph...on/Google_Apps

If you want to have no hassle, just push them all to /system/apps.
The long and easy instructions: download the apk and zip, extract the zip to your harddrive. Inside the zip there is a folder called system/apps - get the list of apps above our of there and put all together on the SD.
Then open ES File Explorer or whatever of choice, Settings - tick Root Explorer, tick Mount File System. Select all the apks on your SD, copy them, navigate to /system/apps on the Vox, paste, reboot. Go to Settings - Accounts, add your Google Account, reboot. Spend your money on the Market.

Alternatively, if you want the unrooted adb way, make the adb connection and then copy all the files like "adb push Vending.apk /system/app".
wwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #47
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
It should be possible on a OS X machine, too. I just got a second hand OS X machine recently (I do computer security, so I'm going to try attacking it and finding vulnerabilities) and I'll try to see what's needed to get it all set up for you sometime after Christmas.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #48
wwat
Enthusiast
wwat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
It should be possible on a OS X machine, too. I just got a second hand OS X machine recently (I do computer security, so I'm going to try attacking it and finding vulnerabilities) and I'll try to see what's needed to get it all set up for you sometime after Christmas.
And a Merry Christmas to you Jeff, thank you. I played with it a little then not knowing the OS I didn't want to push my luck so I'll wait.

W.
wwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #49
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Works great! Now I can easily pay for the apps I want.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #50
iMPLiCiT
iMPLiCiT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Does anyone know how to get this up and running? I've got Ubuntu x64 and Windows 7 x64 and I am having trouble figuring out how to install Gingerbreak with ADB when there are no drivers?
iMPLiCiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #51
Odieman
Enthusiast
Odieman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Hook up the vox to the computer, turn on usb storage and copy to the vox (will show up as a drive on the computer). If you have added an SD card copy there and use a file explorer on the vox and install from the vox.
Odieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #52
iMPLiCiT
iMPLiCiT began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odieman View Post
Hook up the vox to the computer, turn on usb storage and copy to the vox (will show up as a drive on the computer). If you have added an SD card copy there and use a file explorer on the vox and install from the vox.
Where is the file explorer?
iMPLiCiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #53
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Mods, shouldn't this be a sticky thread?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #54
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMPLiCiT View Post
Where is the file explorer?
You need to install one (astro, es, etc.).
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #55
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Just got my Vox 2 days ago, but have been following this forum for about a month now in anticipation I went through the steps found earlier in this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=33]) using Dropbox to do most of the installs and it worked flawlessly.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #56
Szara
Book Junkie
Szara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Ohmygod. It works. You guys are all awesome.

Szara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #57
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Just like to get a headcount of people who have added the Google Talk app, I installed it on mine and it didn't work (and others mentioned it wasn't working) but just recently I installed it for a friend and it worked perfectly.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #58
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Just like to get a headcount of people who have added the Google Talk app, I installed it on mine and it didn't work (and others mentioned it wasn't working) but just recently I installed it for a friend and it worked perfectly.
What exactly is Google Talk? Is it just text chat, or real VoIP? If the latter, what does it use for a mic?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #59
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
I tried installing it from the CM7 rom pack when hacking my Vox for the Google Market. It didn't work. What version of gTalk did you install on your friends unit? Might be that an older apk will work.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #60
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Try placing the talk.apk to /system/app. I think either CM6 or CM7 talk.apk works, I tried them both at one point and got it to work once I placed the app in the system folder.
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote