Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #31
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Good luck - I actually stopped trying at 1.3. 1.5 plays fine, but then starts asking for an update and the lower versions have fine sound but no image.
Maybe we'd just need to find out where the application queries for an update - and then block that request somehow (I'd do it directly on the router - but then again, it might as well tell me that it can't connect and close).

I myself just ran into the battery not-charging-problem, so I'm out of the game for the next 5 hours :-)

Edit: Well, I was able to block the request. However, the application then starts to complain that Netflix can't be contacted and that I have to exit - most likely, their servers are doing a client check.
Maybe I'll just write an email to Netflix asking for the right to my service by disabling this stupid client check (that doesn't help) and put the account on hold.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #32
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Same experience here. 1.4.1 sounds great but no picture. 1.5.0 asks for an update.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #33
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Something else to add to the root section:

If you want to tether the tablet to the wifi tether from your iPhone/Android phone, get:
ZT-180 Adhoc Switcher, i.e. from the SlideME market, and some busybox installer, i.e. from here: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...n.busybox_v5.1

Install busybox, launch the WiFi tether on the phone, launch the Adhoc Switcher and be careful to go only to 'just to try'. It might take a little time (I even had the notice that the app isn't responding), but after some waiting it will deactivate wifi, reactivate wifi and connect to the phone hotspot. To disconnect, tap on the disconnect button in Adhoc Switcher, wait a few seconds and the wifi will reconnect to normal Access Points.

It would of course be awesome if could do this without the need to hack the tablet (*hint, hint, Kobo*)...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I can tether my Vox to my Nexus S hotspot.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #35
hieronymos
Groupie

Yes, the Nexus S can broadcast infrastructure. My cheap Moto can't. ;-)
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #36
hieronymos
Groupie

Netflix 1.5.2 miraculously works now.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #37
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Netflix 1.5.2 miraculously works now.
Really? I have the same issue with it. I even tried a full uninstall and reinstall of 1.5.2 and I still get the same problem with it freezing up as soon as I try to play anything.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #38
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Really? I have the same issue with it. I even tried a full uninstall and reinstall of 1.5.2 and I still get the same problem with it freezing up as soon as I try to play anything.
I also still have the same problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #39
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrmama View Post
I also still have the same problem.
Me three...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #40
hieronymos
Groupie

You're right. Miraculously stopped working again. I'll stop trying. (Unless, by blocking the update URLs, I made it work for the time the tablet hadn't been restarted - anyway, I'm fed up).
Old 11-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #41
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo staff has told us that the two things they are concentrating on for the update they are working on are video and that pesky problem related to sleep behaviour. Hopefully, the video part of this equation will include the Netflix solution.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #42
mcrmama
Addict

That would be great!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #43
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Sadly, I doubt it would. The youtube video problem appears to be an issue with some sort of webM or HTML5 video format, which is what the mobile version of Youtube uses It doesn't use flash, that's why the desktop version of Youtube works perfectly fine on the Vox.

Netflix uses a third, completely different, audio-video engine. I've sent an email to Netlfix, not that it's likely to do much, but I recommend that you all do the same. Netflix is not too bad at making a bugfix when they see a large number of people complaining about the same issue.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #44
gottabekd
gottabekd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox; Kobo e-Reader
Where did you email netflix? I logged into my account and tried to find an email but it only yielded a phone number.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #45
jefftheworld
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Where did you email netflix? I logged into my account and tried to find an email but it only yielded a phone number.
Well, my email just bounced. Apparently (quick google search) they've switched to a phone only system. I'll give them a call tomorrow before work, I suppose.