Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Question "Sideload"?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've seen the term "sideload" in a couple of threads here, and I'm just wondering what that means.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It means to load books or apps from non-bookstore or Market sources. Like of you bought ePub novels on Sony's Reader Store and wanted to load them onto your Kobo. You'd have to approve the Kobo using ADE (Adobe's DRM client) and then copy the files onto the Kobo. Or if you had an APK file from a developer that's not in GetJar (the only app market on the Kobo) and wanted to install it. You have to sideload it by either downloading from the web or putting a file onto a MicroSD card.

With a non-DRM ePub file, you can import it into the built-in Kobo app after, or install Aldiko and have its file browser load the file directly from the SD card. With apps, you have to check the 'Use non-Market source' option in the Applications setting to install APK files without the Android Market.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
That sounds really complicated. Can you drag & drop through a usb connection?
Do you have to sideload to a microsd or can you use the internal memory.
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
No, USB works fine too. It's just a drive to your computer - drop your non-DRM ePub files into the Vox's internal memory, then run the Import option the next time you're in the Kobo Library. For apps, you'll have to install a file manager first, like Astro or ES, or even OI File Explorer.

I used the SD as my example as I'd preloaded a bunch of books onto it while charging the Kobo.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
ok - thanks for the info.
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Thanks, very usefull information
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast
ronlizpatsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
No, USB works fine too. It's just a drive to your computer - drop your non-DRM ePub files into the Vox's internal memory, then run the Import option the next time you're in the Kobo Library. For apps, you'll have to install a file manager first, like Astro or ES, or even OI File Explorer.

I used the SD as my example as I'd preloaded a bunch of books onto it while charging the Kobo.
Everything I try to load, using the web on the vox; gets rejected. Either the page is said to be unavailable or I get taken to the Android Market where I am told that I do not have an account.
I most recently tried to install the File Managers you suggested. Perhaps I have to first put all such apps on my PCs SD card and then insert that into the Vox (not actually possible because my laptop uses a SD not) (as far as I know) a micro SD.
Please advise.
ronlizpatsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Make sure that in the Vox settings --- Applications ----- Unknown Applications has the box checked off. You will be unable to add 3rd party apps otherwise.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Make sure that in the Vox settings --- Applications ----- Unknown Applications has the box checked off. You will be unable to add 3rd party apps otherwise.
The box has got a tick in it!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
For apps, you'll have to install a file manager first, like Astro or ES, or even OI File Explorer.
You can also email apps you've downloaded on your PC to your Gmail address on the Vox and install them from the email. Or else you can use Dropbox after you've installed the Dropbox app on your Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
You can also email apps you've downloaded on your PC to your Gmail address on the Vox and install them from the email. Or else you can use Dropbox after you've installed the Dropbox app on your Vox.
On the vox I googled for dropbox but could not find an offer to download it.
Perhaps that too has to be installed on the PC and emailed to the vox?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
As discussed in another thread, the dropbox website will direct android devices to the market so you need to visit dropbox.com using your pc and download the apk file that way.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
ronlizpatsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
As discussed in another thread, the dropbox website will direct android devices to the market so you need to visit dropbox.com using your pc and download the apk file that way.
Thanks for trying to help "mr_nobody"
I had no problem installing and setting up "Dropbox" on my PC. In its guide I sucessfully put a couple of files in it (BBC iplayer). I then went to the vox and logged in to dropbox. My 2 files were listed. I requested them to be downloaded into the vox. On the download page they were listed as failed! It seems that I have to install the "Dropbox" on the Vox too. But when I request the mobile "dropbox" site, I get the desktop version and no option to download the Dropbox to the Vox.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I know that when I visited dropbox on my Vox I logged into my dropbox account and then went to the download page for android and was able to download the .apk file and install it directly without having to transfer/install using the USB cable from my PC.

Logging into my account seemed to make the difference, I tried once before and was referred to the android market, which we all know we can't use without jail breaking our Vox I believe, but once I logged in and tried the download link again I was able to download the apk file directly from my Vox browser and install it that way.

As for using the android app for dropbox I find it quick and easy for transferring both books and apps I have to sideload to install. I remembers your login details after first launch/set up and opens quickly to your public files/folders for easy download of content.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
Look for the thread where I asked for the link to dropbox. Open this forum right on your Vox so its easy.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote