Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That plus the fact that very nearly ALL android apps work just fine on my 7" Galaxy Tab (Froyo).
Just more Apple FUD.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #32
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I personally am so fed up with those threads on mobileread which are all about "mine is better than yours". It is symptomatic that those threads first are always involving the same persons, which incidentally happen all to be males, and second do always follow the same scenario.

Aren't you done yet? Haven't you all passed that level in puberty? Who cares who has the longest, or who can pee the farthest?
How sad is your life that you would need to start the same thread, on and on and on....?

Thank you for that. I'm 100% with you - perhaps if we all start reporting these posts as soon as they happen we can get it stopped.

I'm out of karma for today, but you are on my list for tomorrow!
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #33
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
IMHO if you own a 7" device, you don't really need native tablet apps. In fact, I don't think you even need Honeycomb. For example, 2.3 (Gingerbread) runs great on the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Nook Color.

Now, if you have a 10" device, it seems like a waste if the apps don't take advantage of the screen real estate. If there truly are only 232 android tablet apps, that's a huge problem. If HP can launch with 300, then there's no excuse for android.

It's a shame really, because there are three excellent large screen android tablets on the market now (Asus Transformer, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Toshiba Thrive).
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #34
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
IMHO if you own a 7" device, you don't really need native tablet apps. In fact, I don't think you even need Honeycomb. For example, 2.3 (Gingerbread) runs great on the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Nook Color.

Now, if you have a 10" device, it seems like a waste if the apps don't take advantage of the screen real estate. If there truly are only 232 android tablet apps, that's a huge problem. If HP can launch with 300, then there's no excuse for android.

It's a shame really, because there are three excellent large screen android tablets on the market now (Asus Transformer, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Toshiba Thrive).

And Acer Iconia and Xoom and ....

Every app I want to use runs just fine on my Xoom as well as my DroidX, including numerous ebook reader apps, browsers, email clients etc. All full screen.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #35
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And Acer Iconia and Xoom and ....

Every app I want to use runs just fine on my Xoom as well as my DroidX, including numerous ebook reader apps, browsers, email clients etc. All full screen.
To be fair, Android phone apps scale really well compared to ios apps. I refuse to run any phone apps on my ipad because they look like crap. That's not the case with android.

Still, while android phone apps may work perfectly fine on tablets (as opposed to iphone apps) I think it's hard to argue that apps that do more with the large screen wouldn't be better.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #36
kennyc

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...t_to_work.html

A tablet is no longer a toy. More and more, users are ditching their laptops in favor of carrying nothing more than a tablet--not just for a trip to grandma's house, but for honest-to-goodness work. This decision, however, is not one to undertake lightly: Tablets have numerous weaknesses--from the lack of a physical keyboard to muddy file management--that you need to address before you traipse out the door with your iPad or Android slate in hand. Here's what you need to think about before you make the switch....
Old 07-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #37
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just more Apple FUD.
Not quite.

From a site called Android Police - Looking After All Things Android:

Quote:
The adoption of Honeycomb tablets has been less than spectacular due to the serious lack of tablet-specific applications. Sure, most apps upscale properly, and that works out fine in some cases (like games, for example), but why should users have to run the same version of Facebook, Twitter, or Google Docs that they run on their phone? Doesn't that almost defeat the purpose of having such a large, beautiful screen? You're damn right - it does.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/07...-do-to-fix-it/

It's a really good site to follow if you want a daily fix of whats going on in the Android world. Not fanboyish at all.

My recommendation to anyone who is on the fence about getting an Android tablet is that they should wait to see if this situation improves with the next Android version (Ice Cream Sandwich) or they should get the real McCoy.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #38
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
it just means that they are not on the cutting edge of technology
Neither are the majority of Android phones. Only a sliver of of that whole worldwide market that's growing market-share faster than anyone else are the latest most bleeding-edge technology in cellphones. In the US, the two year contracts contribute to this.

Froyo (Android 2.2) is still the king of the hill where stats are concerned, claiming 59.4% of users. It's important to note, however, that its numbers, too, are dropping (just last month, it accounted for 64.6% of Android devices). That's because of the Gingerbread updates that many manufacturers have begun pushing out - and it shows in Gingerbread's latest statistics. When all four versions of 2.3 are taken into account (2.3, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, and the most recent 2.3.4, which added support for video chat), the OS version is now installed on 18.6% of Android phones - a figure that's more than double what it was in June.

Quote:
They care more about design and being part of an "in" group.
Careful that you don't stereotype people....

I know plenty of people with iPhones who couldn't care less what phone everyone else is using.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-07-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #39
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I think it's hard to argue that apps that do more with the large screen wouldn't be better.
Quote:
I am in agreement with you, Noah.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-07-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #40
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I am in agreement with you, Noah.
same here. the point isn't that it run's fine, but optimizing for the larger form factor. i mean, who likes to watch sd 4:3 video on 16:9 HD tv? it works fine, but why do it if you don't have to?
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote