Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Well Appleman, this too is one of the many types of phones that does still appeal to a lot of users. Apple cloning some HP and O2 devices (like my old O2 Flame) didn't change the course of history. And just because Steve Jobs pulls a Henry Ford on users (you can have any shape as long as it is 3.5" with a gigantic bezel and no keyboard) doesn't mean that this is the best a phone can offer for all users.

And as you can see, the iphone is still stuck in 2007 --- squinting at a 3.5" miniature screen for web browsing? When a much bigger size fits my pocket most comfortably? Lol, the world has moved on, choice is back in style.

The only thing original Apple ever came up with was the Newton, everything else was just taking someone else's ideas and using superior marketing. As a spin master Jobs is unbeatable, the classic "you are just holding it wrong" comes to mind.

What is real innovation? The Kyocera Echo with a split screen, for example. That 3-way foldable prototype from HTC. Asus's tablet/phone combo. The spin doctor is one of the greatest businessmen of our time (though he sometimes lets his personal vendettas get in the way, see Adobe), but an innovator? He didn't even invent the golden cage he put you in.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-01-2011 at 07:16 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #17
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
everything else was just taking someone else's ideas and using superior marketing.
That says a lot about you.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
That says a lot about you.
Thank you
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Nor a non-answer.

What Andy Rubin envisioned for Android before Jobs showed him the light:

looks like a Kindle
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 AM   #20
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
As a new Android user, I found several things that bothered me (some stability issues, lack of integration of certain Google services like Google docs, that stupid lag when typing on the browser, the Market is a mess...), but the lack of apps is not one of them. Actually, I can't keep up with all the new apps being released all the time. I guess the iOS app store must be terrific, but so far I am very pleased with the selection available for my device. I do miss some big name apps like Netflix or Skype (not compatible with my device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That plus the fact that very nearly ALL android apps work just fine on my 7" Galaxy Tab (Froyo).
I guess this must be part of the problem. If apps for phones look good on tablets and users don't complain, why bother with apps for tablets? On the other hand, we are lucky that we are able to use all those apps without major problems. Oh well, Nothing is perfect.

PD: RockdaMan, don't go! Who is going to remind us how much Android sucks when you are gone? Yours is a very important social function.

Last edited by Andanzas; 07-02-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #21
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Yours is a very important social function.
Nope, just bow down to the big green guy and thank him for his blessings.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #22
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
PD: RockdaMan, don't go! Who is going to remind us how much Android sucks when you are gone? Yours is a very important social function.
Rock may push Apple overmuch, but he rarely (if ever) says that Android sucks.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #23
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
I don't think even the hardest of the hardcore Apple fans could say that with a straight face.

And yet I've seen many people who like Android come perilously close to stepping over that line when it comes to Apple.

You know, like saying the iPhone is stuck in '07 because of the screen size only -- and acting as if exactly zero other changes have been made to the platform.

Like saying everyone who bought one was a victim of marketing, and not because they used that marvelous thing they call choice, which is what Android buyers apparently use to procure their technology fix.

So be it.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #24
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
It was only a joke. Actually, I don't even know what he thinks of Android.

Anyway, he will be missed, and that was the main point of my post.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #25
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Where does your research reveal him to be wrong at?

<crickets> </crickets>
Just about ALL Android Apps work fine on a tablet. The don't need to be tablet specific to be useful. They may not be as pretty as a tablet app, but the functionality and usability is there. Usually existing apps are adapted for the bigger display, but that is not always even needed.

The very same Android app may be targeted at the phone market segment and the tablet market segment, at the same time. No need (usually) for two apps for the two segments. You can usually use exactly the same app on your phone as on your tablet, and get just about the same functionality.

So there may be few tablet-specific apps, and they may sometimes be incompatible between tablets, but just about the whole of the Android Market contents is available to get functionality to your Android Tablet.

This is obviously extremely hard to understand for people that assume that Android apps has the same limitations as the apps for iPhone when used on an iPad.

Last edited by Adoby; 07-02-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #26
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
This is obviously extremely hard to understand for people that assume that Android apps has the same limitations as the apps for iPhone when used on an iPad.
Whereas you don't seem to understand that the same iOS app can have different UIs for the iPhone and iPad, without requiring a separate version? Anything with a + after the name in the iTunes store is a combined iPhone/iPad app.
Yes there are some iPhone apps which display in a small window on the iPad, just as there are some Android apps that display in a small window on my NC. And there are iPhone apps which make full use of the screen, just as there are Android apps that do the same. The difference is that with the iOS app you can tell this in advance.

Last edited by murraypaul; 07-04-2011 at 04:44 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #27
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Anyway, he will be missed, and that was the main point of my post.
Maybe if he didn't persistently troll the Android board, this would be true.

But, since that wasn't the case...no big loss.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
What irritates me a little bit is that if only the ability for choose font size for apps was implemented as a universal setting, all apps could and would be useful, facebook app for example on my Transformer with 3.1 look to my (admitted bad) eyes like the footprints of a colon of ants :-( And there are more examples that could use some tiny tweaks, but overall it works.

Last edited by Roos; 07-07-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think even the hardest of the hardcore Apple fans could say that with a straight face.

And yet I've seen many people who like Android come perilously close to stepping over that line when it comes to Apple.

You know, like saying the iPhone is stuck in '07 because of the screen size only -- and acting as if exactly zero other changes have been made to the platform.

Like saying everyone who bought one was a victim of marketing, and not because they used that marvelous thing they call choice, which is what Android buyers apparently use to procure their technology fix.

So be it.
You are reading things into my statements that are not there. My points are that screen size wise Apple is still in 2007 (they have neither changed the size of the screen or reduced size of the bezel) and that others have moved on. I did not say that no other changes have been done by Apple since then, I have said that Apple is not the technology leader it claims to be. And most Apple buyers do not care that much about technology -- you are the prime example, you have always stated that you don't care about specs.

That doesn't make Apple users mindless sheep, it just means that they are not on the cutting edge of technology (but unfortunately often claim they are -- which is the annoying part). They care more about design and being part of an "in" group.

And I must say it again, I am not a mindless Android proponent, I feel Android tablets are not quite ready yet and I have a lot of gripes with Android on my phone. But I believe at this point in time Android for phones is the best OS on the market.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #30
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I personally am so fed up with those threads on mobileread which are all about "mine is better than yours". It is symptomatic that those threads first are always involving the same persons, which incidentally happen all to be males, and second do always follow the same scenario.

Aren't you done yet? Haven't you all passed that level in puberty? Who cares who has the longest, or who can pee the farthest?
How sad is your life that you would need to start the same thread, on and on and on....?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote