Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #151
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Choosing "Similar Author", "Ignore Title" will find that combination. Similar Author will find permutations of the author names transposed like you have above.

None of the "Title" matching options would directly match that title, hence why "Ignore Title". However the Quality Check plugin has a "Check titles with series" option which would flag the first book of "Cotton Malone 06 - The Emporor's Tomb" and so you could fix that title up. Which would then mean a "Similar Author", "Similar Title" (or Identical Title) type search could be used.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #152
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Ok, but if the version I want to keep is the "Cotton Malone 06" version, I'm SOL. Well, not SOL... i just have to manually check for duplicates myself the way I did before I came across the Find Duplicates plug-in. Yay or nay?
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #153
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nay. Read the first line of my post again.

And keeping your titles that way is *not* the recommended practise with calibre - use the series column for it's intended purpose. If you want to control how titles are sorted on your device/when exported, look into metadata plugboards and save to disk templates.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #154
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Nay. Read the first line of my post again.
"Check me if I'm wrong, Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key."

Wait, that's not right.

Check me if I'm wrong, but if ignore the title, then Find Duplicates will flag everything by "Steve Berry" and by "Berry, Steve", which is essentially the same as my doing a search for "authors:Berry". And in the event that the author fields were both "Berry, Steve" ignoring the title and searching for similar authors via FD would omit the "Berry, Steve" results entirely.

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten loads of use out of Find Duplicates (and no doubt will continue to do so). My question was fundamentally whether there was a way for the plug-in to recognize the two example titles as duplicates. The answer to that appears to be "No." Such is life. As I say, Find Duplicates is meeting 95% of my library management needs, so I'm really and truly not bitching. I just needed confirmation that my inability to do that particular search was because it was impossible, not because I was merely doing it wrong.

Quote:
And keeping your titles that way is *not* the recommended practise with calibre - use the series column for it's intended purpose. If you want to control how titles are sorted on your device/when exported, look into metadata plugboards and save to disk templates.
Because I respect your input, I'm actually considering your counsel (even though changing my filing system would take me weeks). So please take my inquiry in the spirit of sincere curiosity (which is how it's meant) and not defensive sarcasm (which is how it could be interpreted): is the reason my filing system is not recommended because it screws up Calibre, or because it screws up plug-ins, or simply for aesthetic reasons?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #155
kiwidude

Your original question was what search would bring those two books back, to which the answer is Similar Author, Ignore Title. Yes that will bring other books back for the author combinations as well depending on how many other books they have, however the recommendation I put with this plugin as per the first post is that you use it with a search like this first to find your author duplicates, and then find your title duplicates.

In this particular case, having a title that is prefixed with series information means that a more granular match on title only cannot be made. If the differences between the titles was some kind of suffix, then it could likely be matched with a fuzzy type search or something. You asked if you would be no better off than without using the plugin - I would argue that using the plugin to identify the author duplicates and hence present a subset of your library to you in that group to visually scan is way better off than scanning without it. However as I suggested if you follow the crowd in stripping series information out such as by using Quality Check to identify them that issue goes away.

As to why not to put series information in your titles - there are certainly multiple areas of Calibre which will "break" or work less than ideally if you do. One such example is the Download Metadata function, as the download metadata plugins will do a comparison between the title of the book in Calibre with the search result from the website to verify they are the same book (unless matched by ISBN). Duplicate detection at the time you add books won't work. Numerous other plugins will also not work very well - things like the Search the Internet and as you have found Find Duplicates for a start without thinking too hard. There could well be other parts of Calibre affected by having extra long title names etc. Renumbering a series? Well that's going to involve renaming the title for you, which means a different file between the Kindle and calibre which means a mess of duplicates on your device.

It is just generally a bad idea, you are working against Calibre, not with it. The series column is specifically there for this purpose. The only reason I know of people putting series information in the titles is because they did it thinking they had to as the way to get them sorted how they like either within Calibre or when exported out. In both scenarios there are better ways to handle this. To sort within Calibre, you can do a sort on multiple columns (the View Manager plugin can help with this). To assist sorting when stored on a device, if the device uses metadata rather than filenames for sorting (like a Kindle) then use a metadata plugboard, there is a sticky in the forums for how to set it up. Do it once, then forget about it.

There are no valid reasons I have seen for not stripping series out - beyond users just not being aware of how to otherwise manage their sorting on the device. And that is to be expected by the way - I wouldn't see Calibre as the most intuitive or easy to use in that area, users will have to come hunting in the forums to figure that part out.

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-10-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #156
ElMiko
Addict

Maybe if your answers weren't so knowledgeable, I wouldn't ask so many questions...

As you rightly guessed, my reason for defining the titles as I do is a mix of both sorting within and without Calibre. The download metadata function doesn't give me too much trouble because I usually wait until after i've downloaded it to start messing around with the title display. Nonetheless, its a method that i concede is less than fully efficient, particularly to the degree it interferes with some of the most useful plugins. I will look into both metadata management tools that you mention.

As always, thank you for your thoughtful insight.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #157
kiwidude

Glad you found the info useful. Good luck with your renaming. You will find the bulk search/replace feature useful for this with regular expressions - ask in the library mgmt forum (or search - it has been asked before) if you need help with that.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #158
windom
windom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color; Axim X51v; Cruz Reader R101
Compare Two Libraries For Duplicates

I will accumulate a modest number of books and then I add them to a temporary library. I work on the metadata in this small setting. I find it much easier than doing it in my main library. After I am satisfied, I copy them (with delete) to the main library. To this end, I would find it handy to find duplicates before adding to the main library. IOW, I would like to compare two libraries for duplicates. Would there be any chance of the plugin being modified to do this?

Is this a boneheaded way to work? Am I missing something about how Calibre should be used? It's worked well for me so far. It allows bulk metadata edits in a manageable setting.

w
windom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #159
SoulStyle
Enthusiast
SoulStyle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by windom View Post
I will accumulate a modest number of books and then I add them to a temporary library. I work on the metadata in this small setting. I find it much easier than doing it in my main library. After I am satisfied, I copy them (with delete) to the main library. To this end, I would find it handy to find duplicates before adding to the main library. IOW, I would like to compare two libraries for duplicates. Would there be any chance of the plugin being modified to do this?

Is this a boneheaded way to work? Am I missing something about how Calibre should be used? It's worked well for me so far. It allows bulk metadata edits in a manageable setting.

w
This is exactly my work-flow as well. Preparing the books in a separate library and then use the "Copy To Library" function to copy them to my main library.
When adding books to a library, Calibre already does a rudimentary duplicate check on the title. I would love to see this one extended to functions like merge with existing etc. I posted on the bugtracker here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/869506
And in addition have it activated in the copy function as well.

As far as I have understood from various other posts, Calibre can only work on one library but having the "Find Duplicates" plug-in extended to work across libraries would be a fantastic alternative.

Kind regards
SoulStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #160
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
@windom
That's pretty much my workflow too, and I find it easy to work with the one library at a time limitation:

When I don't think a batch has many books that will duplicate/replace existing ones, I fix up the metadata, etc and move them into the main library as you described.
When I think I have many duplicates, and don't want to waste my time unnecessarily (re)processing duplicates, here's what I do:
Clean up the authors & titles, and run Extract ISBN & Count Pages (words).
Then I move them to the main library and run Find Duplicates.
Then I can make pretty good decisions about what to do with the new duplicates -- junk them, replace the old copy & preserve the metadata (merge them), or send them back to the templib for more processing, along with the non-duplicate new books.
It's pretty easy to sort the library by Date [added] to identify the books I just added, and now want to move back to the templib for further processing.

Having said that, I would certainly use a multi-library duplicate finder if it existed -- but I'm pretty comfortable with the current setup and adding multi-library capability seems like a lot of work.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #161
kiwidude

@windom - as the others have said, nothing "bone-headed" about it. People use calibre in lots of different ways, whatever works for you. My own workflow involves multiple databases, but as I do my cleanup in the "clean" database and it is one author at a time I'm never in a situation of having duplicates between libraries.

My initial repsonse to this request a few months would have been "it isn't technically possible" under the understanding that calibre is a "one library at a time" system. However I know Kovid responded a few weeks ago to another thread in these forums discussing cross library database access stuff (perhaps in the Development forum?) where he indicated actually it is "possible", at least for some functionality.

However given that Kovid is still working on replacing the back-end layers of calibre and deprecating some of the API along the way I have no intentino of creating even more work for myself down the line by looking into this now. Perhaps when that is released I (or someone else) can revisit it to see what would be involved/possible.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #162
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
To clarify: The calibre user interface is one db at a time. This means the GUI, the content server, the Tag Browser, the search etc are all designed to operate on a single db at a time. The actual database code makes a couple of minor assumptions (global variables) about there being only one db per process, but these are easily worked around, as is done in the case of the copy to library function.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #163
Krittika Goyal
Vox calibre
Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krittika Goyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony reader prs700, kobo
Hi, just a nitpicking thing, but should probably be corrected. In the duplicate search type, if one chooses, ISBN or Binary the columns below still have the heading title matching and author matching which should be changed to a single column of ISBN matching for ISBN duplicate search type and to Binary matching for Binary duplicate search type
Krittika Goyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #164
kiwidude

Hi Krittika,

I'm not quite sure what you mean - all the radio button contents are disabled?

It is a limitation of QT that it has no ability to "disable" a GroupBox which is the headings I think you refer to?

One thing I could do is make those Title/Author group box sections invisible when you select ISBN or Binary. It makes the content jump around a bit but if people see that as less confusing then it is an easy change.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #165
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@kiwidude: I'd suggest hiding. You can set it up so it doesn't cause a jump in the content, by also inserting/removing a spacer when hiding.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates