Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
xavierhiggs
xavierhiggs began at the beginning.

Device: Readee
billing address

Hi,

I've just bought an ebook on booksonstore. Living in France, I put a fake UK billing address to bypass the restrictions (apparently they don't check your IP nor from which country is your credit card). However, I'm wondering if they're going to send a bill to this fake address. Does anyone know?

Xavier
xavierhiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Typically, at least how it is in the US, the address will be checked when the charge is processed. I've had stuff tossed back because the billing address wasn't correct (typo, or when my info hadn't been updated after a move).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Create an address at borderlinx.com and use this. Works for me with Amazon and Sony.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
xavierhiggs
xavierhiggs began at the beginning.

Device: Readee
Ok, thanks for the replies.
I was able to pay and download the ebook, so there was no attempt to check the address (I don't think that AVS works with French VISA cards anyway).

What I'm worried about is if they try to send a physical bill to the address (and so realize that's a fake). Do they usually send a bill?
xavierhiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Create an address at borderlinx.com and use this. Works for me with Amazon and Sony.
Do you get charged anything by Borderlinx? I had a look and for physical purchases you pay for shipping but given that ebooks have no shipping, is the whole service free? I would like to use it for Amazon.co.uk and for US sites (I'm in New Zealand)
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Do you get charged anything by Borderlinx? I had a look and for physical purchases you pay for shipping but given that ebooks have no shipping, is the whole service free? I would like to use it for Amazon.co.uk and for US sites (I'm in New Zealand)
Only when you buy physical goods, as long as you buy ebooks there is no charge. To set up an address only is for free anyway. I use it the Sony store all the time and it is perfect. Even works with my European credit card.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
Clovissangrail
Clovissangrail began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierhiggs View Post
What I'm worried about is if they try to send a physical bill to the address (and so realize that's a fake). Do they usually send a bill?
I've never had a bill sent to my address. Why would they go to that expense? Worry not.
Clovissangrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierhiggs View Post
Ok, thanks for the replies.
I was able to pay and download the ebook, so there was no attempt to check the address (I don't think that AVS works with French VISA cards anyway).

Worry not, the bill is sent to your email address (at least that's what happens with me).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #9
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Done it - and bought a book from a US site (I'm based in New Zealand). The book was previously geo restricted and I couldn't buy it with my NZ address. On checkout it said that I had to use a US credit card but since I don't have a US credit card I used google checkout instead and it worked, with no reference to a US credit card - a loophole in their system maybe? But I'm really pleased, Amazon.co.uk, WH Smiths etc here I come.

Thanks poppaea!
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Done it - and bought a book from a US site (I'm based in New Zealand). The book was previously geo restricted and I couldn't buy it with my NZ address. On checkout it said that I had to use a US credit card but since I don't have a US credit card I used google checkout instead and it worked, with no reference to a US credit card - a loophole in their system maybe? But I'm really pleased, Amazon.co.uk, WH Smiths etc here I come.

Thanks poppaea!
You are welcome! I once read his tipp here myself. As for the hole in their system, I am not sure. Borderlinx is a forwarding company, to enable you to buy goods you could not otherwise buy. I guess it is something deliberate so everybody can make some business.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmmm....so there is no danger in doing this? i mean, my account won't get suspended? (i'm only interested in this to get the free ebooks that are only for US, apparently)
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
hmmm....so there is no danger in doing this? i mean, my account won't get suspended? (i'm only interested in this to get the free ebooks that are only for US, apparently)
There are different forwarding services. The two I know of are borderlinx.com and usunlocked.com A quick google search should bring up more. Feel free to go to their corresponding websites and check it out for yourself. I am no lawyer so I can't give you sound advice on that subject. All I can say is: It works fine for me!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
okay, thanks i think i may ask one of my friends who lives in the US if I can use her address to get the free ebooks~
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
okay, thanks i think i may ask one of my friends who lives in the US if I can use her address to get the free ebooks~
For free books, it shouldn't be a problem. I use a friend's address in the US any time they don't ask for an actual credit card (i.e. using gift cards rather than paying directly for e-books). I have a US credit card, but because my billing address on that card is here in France, it won't work. (They normally compare the billing address to whatever I gave.)
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
For free books, it shouldn't be a problem. I use a friend's address in the US any time they don't ask for an actual credit card (i.e. using gift cards rather than paying directly for e-books). I have a US credit card, but because my billing address on that card is here in France, it won't work. (They normally compare the billing address to whatever I gave.)
I use my boderlinx adress in the Sony store with my credit card that is on my home address in Berlin with no problem. Same at the Amazon store, B&N, Kobo for free books. But that is a rare occasion as all of the books offered there are the same day or a day later available at Sony or B&N. B&N doesn't let me shop at their website with this combination but this is their loss not mine. Thus I do all my business with Sony which is more than fine for me as the store and the Reader Library work so seemlessly together.

Last edited by Poppaea; 02-20-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typos without end