Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
specialvintage
specialvintage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem reading MOBI file on Kindle

I have a Mobi file on Calibre which opens perfectly on my macbook pro using the calibre reader.
When I upload it to my kindle it shows but it I get a message telling me to delete it and up load it from Amazon.
Is this a DRMrpoblem - and if so how can I solve it please?
Many thanks
Special
specialvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Are you sure you're uploading the file from calibre, and not some other version of the file?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialvintage View Post
Is this a DRMrpoblem - and if so how can I solve it please?
Many thanks
Special
Sounds like it as that is a Kindle's standard response when it encounters a book that is DRM locked to another Kindle or Kindle app. The Kindle DRM is specific to the device and not the account. When a DRM locked book is downloaded from Amazon it is coded specifically for the Kindle, device or app, that is downloading the file.

Calibre can manage DRM locked files. The files retain their DRM and can be read only on the Kindle that they are coded for. If you load a DRM locked Kindle file from one device into calibre and then move it to a different device from calibre the second device can not open the file and will give the message you report. If the second Kindle is registered to the same account as the first then simply downloaded from Amazon will "cure" the problem.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I was under the impression that if you import a DRM locked file into Calibre that you are unable to view it with the Calibre viewer. If I'm correct, then the fact that the book can be read in Calibre would imply that this is not a DRM issue... or has something changed?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You are correct. If Calibre can display it, there's no DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do a mobi to mobi conversion in calibre before sending it to the kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
specialvintage
specialvintage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Many thank s all
Special
specialvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
I have run into the same thing, I found the problem was that under preference /Output Options / mobi I had the setting to convert to "New" rather then "Old", check that setting.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mobi, not readable on kindle