Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Question A Plea to Kobo

With the increased availability of the Touch (Best Buy outlets in the US for instance), the need for a fix for the Storage Error plaguing Touch users is becoming more urgent; the last thing Kobo need is the negative publicity of a device being in more retailers that has intermittent corruption issues.

Please, Please.... could we get some firm idea from Kobo staff as to the status of resolving this issue.

Kobo only has one chance to impress new customers.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I just received a message from Kobo proudly announcing that they had closed my ticket as they were confident that they had provided me with a solution to the Storage Error that I reported.
I reread my correspondence with them several times and sadly I couldn't find anything other than the comment that Kobo doesn't support Calibre and that I should use the Kobo Desktop application.
Somehow that was supposed to solve my issue!
I can almost cope with the idea that Kobo is desperately working on finding the solution to this problem and that I just need to be patient and wait and wait and wait. But was REALLY pisses me off is that they keep telling me they have solved the problem when that is obviously untrue.

Sadly I have been dealing with this problem by reading on my iPad instead of my Touch. I don't like reading on the iPad and I need to share it with my husband so this is not a good long term solution for me. I was prepared to use the iPad for a week or two until the Storage Error was fixed but now I wonder how much longer this nonsense will continue?
Also there is the little matter of the Touch that I purchased and can't use.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Question.... has anyone been using the Kobo Desktop application and not Calibre to put books on the KT been having the storage error? Maybe there is a bug in the KT driver for Calibre. I can't begin to guess without more data.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had the error occur with NO use of Calibre!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
There are several people who have posted on MR and also the Kobo Zendesk that they are getting the error without using Calibre or ADE.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've had the error occur with NO use of Calibre!
ditto. What caused my error was a misbehaving book; I had removed it in hopes it would update with the proper cover (it has the cover for another book) but instead, it won't go back to my read books (it stays in my purchased). Once I removed it, and updated the kobo, I started getting the error..reset and it's been fine since...but the book itself still won't update to my kobo anymore (I had to download the epub and sideload it via ADE).
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i strictly use calibre and nothing else, i download my kobo books through ade and still re-convert and manage through calibre. that is the only program i use and as a matter of fact i just used it to load 'ready player one by ernest cline'. i have yet to experience any of the bugs people have mentioned.

edit : win 7 64bit, calibre version 0.8.13, ade 1.7.2.113 just as a heads up.

also i always, always eject the kobo after closing calibre from the my computer window.
i just right click kobo reader and click eject.

Last edited by siraks; 08-25-2011 at 10:47 PM.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
I had this error last night, without calibre. Did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary as far as I know, just out of the blue after transfering over a single file via explorer drag and drop, then using Windows "safely eject hardware" like I've done dozens of times before.

What a piss-off. Not only did I have to reset the device which took 1/2 hour, but then reload all of my side load content (~100 books, manually drag and drop via explorer), another 1/2 hour, only to find it didn't recognize 1/3 of it, and had to do it over in smaller blocks of 25 files, took 1 hour.

Then I found it lost my entire reading history (# of hours read in total< # of books complete, etc). Even though it told me in the Kobo desktop "Don't worry, all of your books and Reading Life will be saved and restored once you preform the reset"

That is a load of crap, everything was lost.

Like I said, a major piss-off.

I've used various USB music players over the years (sony, sandisk, ipod), and I've used several Blackberries over the years too via USB, as a document storage device, for music, pictures and ebooks via mobi-pocket reader. I've beat those devices to HELL with USB abuse over the years, sometimes unplugging them in the middle of a transfer and *NEVER* has any one of those half dozen devices *EVER* lost all of the files or corrupted the memory requiring a factory reset. *NEVER*

But the Kobo seems to be so flakey there's no rhyme or reason to it.

DEVELOPERS - you need to get this fixed NOW.

Stop work on *everything* else, and make it *BULLETPROOF*.

This should NEVER happen to a device like this. PERIOD. You obviously have a core problem right at the OS level that needs to be addressed.

I have about 1 week left on my 30 day return period, and am likely going to get a refund unless I hear this issue is taking the undivided attention of the developers and they are going to eradicate it forever.

Like I said, no other USB device I've ever used has suffered from a similar problem.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Based on the several threads I've read on MR about people discussing this issue, my guess is that the Kobo software/firmware is fragile in terms of handling data of certain kinds that don't conform to what it expects. And then, once it encounters one of these "rogue" books, everything goes to heck after that.

I have only a few books on my KT so far, so I haven't encountered any issues, but I really do wonder if it's just a matter of time for me.

I agree that the Kobo devs really need to increase the robustness of the software if my estimation of the problem(s) is accurate. It's unacceptable for software to break down because of a single bad record, file, etc. Obviously, the way it should be handling things is to compartmentalize or transactionalize the interaction with each book, and then skip over problem books. It's bizarre that they would allow the entire DB or filesystem or whatever to get corrupt because of an attempt to load or process a bad book.

@therealjoeblow : I think it would be helpful if you could tell everyone where to get that one book that caused/triggered your problem. Maybe put it up for download, if possible (assuming it's not already available on another site). If I were a Kobo dev, I'd be really really interested to get my hands on that file, because it embodies a single data point related to the issue(s). As opposed to someone loading 30 books, and eventually finding the problem some time later.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
My husband's KT has had the storage error at least twice and he has never installed Calibre. He has only used the desktop upon first reformatting, then syncs via WiFi for kepubs and drags and drops via Windows explorer for non-Kobo epubs. I don't think he even used ADE at all between the factory reset and the last time he got the error.

I'll concur that this error makes the KT a poor choice of reader for now, since you need to be near your own computer at all times!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
A visitor to the GetSatisfication website quoted this message from a Kobo employee.

Quote:
The have found out what is causing the storage error problem. They are working on a solution and expect to have it in place for the next release. The released is planned for next week but they want to make sure it the issue is fully resolved. .............. In the meantime, you can simply 'x' out of the error message and continue using the device. You do not have to perform the factory reset. We thank you for your patience in this matter.
So it appears that the resolution to this problem is near.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Question.... has anyone been using the Kobo Desktop application and not Calibre to put books on the KT been having the storage error? Maybe there is a bug in the KT driver for Calibre. I can't begin to guess without more data.
I don't use Caliber. I just use the Kobo Desktop application. I have the dreaded Storage Error Problem, among several other problems, including premature battery drainage, home page issues with SD card, double page turn issues, and the device intermittently turning itself off and on.

Last edited by ldrover; 08-26-2011 at 05:53 PM.
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I just experienced it with the wife's Touch. Synced books with ADE and POW!

And NO.. her Touch has NEVER seen Calibre

Last edited by PeterT; 08-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Ever since I ONLY used Calibre I haven't one storage error.
I fact I used the Kobo desktop program twice and on both ccasions, it caused a storage error.

But since it works perfectly with Calibre anly, I'm actually very happy with my KT.
Bit of a shame for Kobo that I daren't use their software tho.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
A visitor to the GetSatisfication website quoted this message from a Kobo employee.

The have found out what is causing the storage error problem. They are working on a solution and expect to have it in place for the next release. The released is planned for next week but they want to make sure it the issue is fully resolved. .............. In the meantime, you can simply 'x' out of the error message and continue using the device. You do not have to perform the factory reset. We thank you for your patience in this matter.

So it appears that the resolution to this problem is near.
Gee, I really hope so! I cancelled out of the error and could keep reading. I can put the Kobo to sleep and keep reading. I once tried powering it off and the 'powered off' screen did not appear, just blank white, which had me worried. When I powered it back on I got the error message again, but I cancelled out of it, and could keep reading no problems. But it's still got me worried.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote