Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
1&1 Announces SmartPad Android Tablet

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=offi...android-tablet

Quote:
German DSL provider 1&1 (also known for its web hosting offers) today announced the 1&1 SmartPad, an Android tablet for home and en route. Equipped with a 7" LCD WVGA touchscreen (it's yet unknown if it's capacitive or resistive), the 1&1 SmartPad features WiFi b/g/n but no inbuilt 2G or 3G connectivity.
Quote:
According to mobiFlip.de, which got its hands on the spec sheet, the 1&1 SmartPad will be powered by a ARM 11 CPU with 500 MHz and comes with 256 MB DDR RAM and 1 GB flash ROM. Furthermore it's said that the SmartPad comes with Android 1.6 only (an Android 2.2 upgrade is expected for September) but there's no Android Market preinstalled but the devices comes with a propriety app store (in cooperation with German AndroidPit) which features at the moment around 100 applications only.
What is the deal with not providing Android Market access?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
HoobeeBook
HoobeeBook began at the beginning.

Device: none
As far as I know google does not want to provide access to android market for non-cellphones using android os.
Cannot find the source right now, though.

Regards
HoobeeBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoobeeBook View Post
As far as I know google does not want to provide access to android market for non-cellphones using android os.
Cannot find the source right now, though.

Regards
Odd...maybe to give Chrome a chance?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Yeah, it is definitely a restriction on the part of Google rather than all the hardware makers deciding on their own to ignore 1000s of apps.

One surprising thing with this tablet is the amount of promotion it is getting from 1&1, being a predominantly english speaker I don't tend to watch much german tv, but have been watching the football on it and I have seen more tv adverts for this device at ht than for the ipad.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kind of a thick brick, from the pictures.

I imagine after the huge success of the Apple iPad, that Google is off scrambling, trying to figure out how to support tablets and phones off of a similar marketplace. Kind of a "Doh!" type moment. I have an Android phone, the Aps that have shown up there (most recently Kindle) are quickly reaching parity with iPhone, a few are significantly better (and in general, Android's legitimate multitasking better than iOS). If I were buying a tablet, it would be nice if I could also buy the same Aps.

Anyway, back to the 1&1 discussion, if the device is going to be that thick, it would be nice if they built in an integral cover. Maybe something that wrapped around and laid flat on the back. But I need some screen protection, so while a 1/2" or so is fine for thickness, it's really the thickness with the cover on that counts.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert