Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sony 505 Trade Up

A Sony salesman at the Sony eBook reader kiosk in Tyson's Corner here in Norther Virginia today offered me a $50 trade in on my 505 for a 300. And a $75 discount were I to buy a 600 and trade in my 505. I wasn't interested but wondered if anyone else has seen this.

This is not the Sony Style store at Tyson's but rather the Sony eBook Reader kiosk on the ground floor in front of Lord and Taylor.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
With Christmas approaching you could easily sell the 505 for $150 or more.

The kiosk person probably has people asking about leftover or refurbished 505's and figure it is a cheap way to meet demand. The figures are exactly the same as the 500 upgrade path.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to trade up. I've played with the 505 and 300, and greatly prefer my 505. the 600 still has the glare issues of the 700.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Tyson's Corner Center...where the stores are!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. By the way, have you ever been to Neisha Thai there? It's pretty tasty.

Back on topic, yeah, that's not a great trade in. But it is something, in case someone is interested.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think that would be a trade down!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
As a 505 owner, I've looked with interest at all the other Sony products. The 300 is basically the same thing with a smaller screen, and I wouldn't consider it worth the trade unless you really need the increased portability. It's at best a lateral trade and more often a trade down.

As for the 600, that's a bit harder to quantify. It's better than the 505 in every way except screen clarity and possibly battery life. Unfortunately, screen quality is the biggie. I've compared the 600 and it's readable, about like my 505 through the light wedge or maybe even a bit better, but it still suffers in comparison. I don't care about the touch functionality, though I would like the rest of the 600's guts in a 505 case - call it the 555 and sell it for $249. I think it would outsell all their other readers combined.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
By the way, have you ever been to Neisha Thai there? It's pretty tasty.
Never tried it. Gotta go by Tyson's 1 and 2 this afternoon and will check it out. Agree with all that it isn't a very attractive offer Sony is making. And, like most, I'm perfectly happy with my 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I just bought my used red Sony 505 for $250 and most are being sold on eBay used for at least $180-200 for the silver ones. Why would you trade it in to Sony for a $50-75 discount? So many people still out there who want the Sony 505. It is still the best reader Sony has sold.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
sherscott
sherscott
sherscott is on a distinguished road

Device: sony reader prs-505
PRS 505

This week is the 2 year anniversary of purchase of my prs 505
It has been dropped sat on slept on and shared a couple of cups of coffee with me
Battery life has not significantly shortened
so I wouldn't trade mine

here are my hints I've found for my prs 505

I never turn it off, so I get about a week between recharges
I never have more than 10 to 20 books on it at a time
I use a little $10 book light
I convert all my books to word RTF font 12 ( the only books I have had trouble with in the hundred I have read on it were DRM sony lrf format purchased from the sony site which caused the reader to reset itself randomly)
I spend 5 minutes before reading a book pre formatting it into the three internal fonts so I can change the orientation as I want and the font size for different lighting conditions while reading:

over the same period I've gone through three MP3 players
They don't seem to like being dropped into puddles as much
sherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
4nefertiti
Enthusiast
4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS900 (daily edition), blackberry
I was having issues with my 505. I asked about the trade in and was told it was for the 500 only (also stated on sonystyle site). I was willing to trade it as the replacement I received was not my beloved red reader. I just sold it on Amazon for $225 and bought a daily edition.
4nefertiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nefertiti View Post
I was having issues with my 505. I asked about the trade in and was told it was for the 500 only (also stated on sonystyle site). I was willing to trade it as the replacement I received was not my beloved red reader. I just sold it on Amazon for $225 and bought a daily edition.
You sold WHAT on Amazon?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote