Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you've just made me very very happy. let's hope that guy knew what he was talking about.
Yes, because we know sales clerks are 100% honest and extremely knowledgeable.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
in the search list, there is also a book titled "The Damp Squid." They must know about us over in Amazonia...
you should buy that book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, because we know sales clerks are 100% honest and extremely knowledgeable.

BOb
yeah yeah yeah, cynic... just let me dream.

(you never know, a sony rep could have mentioned that to him while there to demo the thing. stranger things have happened. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
(you never know, a sony rep could have mentioned that to him while there to demo the thing. stranger things have happened. )
Actually, Sony did say at the unveiling that they were looking in to it. Then again, they also said there would be 100k ebooks in the Sony eBook store by end of 2008 and that didn't happen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, Sony did say at the unveiling that they were looking in to it.
AHA !!!!!

Quote:
Then again, they also said there would be 100k ebooks in the Sony eBook store by end of 2008 and that didn't happen.

BOb
so maybe the dictionary will be the promise they actually follow through on.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
For this... a Cybook should have been the choice.
If a dictionary had been my priority, I might have picked a Cybook. But for me, the light was first, touch screen and search functions second, and other considerations third.

I'm thinking of getting the Pocket OED and seeing how that works, converted. I'm hoping that with the PRS700's ability to search, it might be a decent workaround.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #21
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Sony prs-500

Is there a dictionary that will work with the Sony prs-500? The 500 cannot use epub.

Thanks in advance.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #22
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I had previously tried to convert the 1913 Webster's Dictionary source .html to a .lrf ebook, but the attempt failed after TWO DAYS of processing... (it crashed with a memory overrun error).

Perhaps someone can have another go at making a .lrf version...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #23
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I decided to take a gamble on the Pocket OED, in secure mobipocket (which, if nothing else, I can read on my PDA). I ran it through deDRM, but an attempt to convert from there to LRF failed. The non-DRM version doesn't display at all in Calibre's viewer, even in .prc format--though it does display in Mobi Reader.

I guess, until a fix comes along for Calibre, that experiment is a failure.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Thanks for trying Starrigger. There are so many readers here who have the
PRS-500, someone will probably come up with a dictionary for us.

I always liked the way that the Ubook with the dictionary worked but that is not practical with the Sony 500.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel

for the 700 (and even 505), the best is to make a dictionary in epub format. see this thread. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=319574

for 500 / 505, check this thread for a possible solution : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22320
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #26
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

An update. Calibre development has come along, and I did get a successful conversion of the Pocket OED from deDRMed mobi to epub. (Or rather, someone with a more powerful computer than mine did it for me.) The epub OED displays fine on my PRS700. However... (you knew there was going to be a however, didn't you?)...it's only marginally useful, because the built-in search links don't work, and the Reader's Search function takes so long you can have lunch while you're waiting.

When I use the Reader's Go to Page function and the scroll bar to advance through the book, I can get to a word I want in less time--though it would still probably be faster to go get the paper dictionary off the shelf. Or grab my PDA and use the original mobipocket version on it.

I am presently attempting a conversion from the epub to lrf to see if that format works better. But my computer's been cranking for 15 hours on that and it hasn't finished yet.

I was curious whether response time was faster from the Reader's memory or from the SD card, so I put it on both. I think it's a little faster from main memory, but I didn't do a careful study.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
An update. Calibre development has come along, and I did get a successful conversion of the Pocket OED from deDRMed mobi to epub. (Or rather, someone with a more powerful computer than mine did it for me.) The epub OED displays fine on my PRS700. However... (you knew there was going to be a however, didn't you?)...it's only marginally useful, because the built-in search links don't work, and the Reader's Search function takes so long you can have lunch while you're waiting.

When I use the Reader's Go to Page function and the scroll bar to advance through the book, I can get to a word I want in less time--though it would still probably be faster to go get the paper dictionary off the shelf. Or grab my PDA and use the original mobipocket version on it.

I am presently attempting a conversion from the epub to lrf to see if that format works better. But my computer's been cranking for 15 hours on that and it hasn't finished yet.

I was curious whether response time was faster from the Reader's memory or from the SD card, so I put it on both. I think it's a little faster from main memory, but I didn't do a careful study.
thanks for the update ! i'll be very interested in hearing how that works, please let us know.

someone else suggested making a dictionary in separate volumes, to reduce the search time (like, AB only, then CD, etc.) would you be interested in trying that ? i'm working on a french dictionary which i was going to test it on, but work has gotten really busy lately so i'm not sure when i'll have time to go back to it...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
someone else suggested making a dictionary in separate volumes, to reduce the search time (like, AB only, then CD, etc.) would you be interested in trying that?
Er...no. For one thing, I wouldn't know how. For another, I'm really supposed to be writing books, not endlessly fiddling with putting them on my machine.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Er...no. For one thing, I wouldn't know how. For another, I'm really supposed to be writing books, not endlessly fiddling with putting them on my machine.
yes, i see your point. it just looked like you were already heading down the fiddling path, so to speak... no worries.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why don't you do it, Zelda?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote