Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
E-book prices higher than p-book prices?

I was doing a little price-checking on the new Nora Roberts J.D. Robb book, which after a week as mobi-only, is finally available at Fictionwise in eReader and MS Reader. I was shocked at how high the price was! To compare:

Publisher price: 25.95
Amazon sale price: 15.57
Fictionwise non-member price: 25.95 ($22.06 after micropay rebate)
Fictionwise club price: 22.06 (18.75 after micropay rebate)
Books on Board price: I think it's 21.93 but I am not familiar with their rebate system

So, the e-version (which has no overheard for storage, shipping, materials for its physical production etc.) at its cheapest price is almost 7 dollars MORE expensive than the dead tree version?

No thanks! I'm still holding out that it will make the Fictionwise 100% micropay deal within a few weeks. Otherwise, I'll go on the library waiting list. What a rip-off!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It's still $14 for the Kindle. I wonder if the price will drop in a few weeks.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
It will drop. They all have in the past. The more popular an author, the longer it will stay high, I'm sure to get those who don't care about the price, to buy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If the book is Salvation in Death, Sony's price is $11.99.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
EricWiz
EricWiz has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

So, the e-version (which has no overheard for storage, shipping, materials for its physical production etc.) at its cheapest price is almost 7 dollars MORE expensive than the dead tree version?

No thanks! I'm still holding out that it will make the Fictionwise 100% micropay deal within a few weeks. Otherwise, I'll go on the library waiting list. What a rip-off!
I think it is crazy!! If you add to that the fact that, with DRM, you can't even handyour copy to a friend when you are done. At least not legally. I think the e-version should always be 40-50 percent cheaper then the pbook. There is absurdly little overhead with electronic version.

I hope more and more publishers and sellers will follow the baen model of non-DRM and reasonable prices.

Eric
EricWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
This is one of the ways I think Fictionwise is hurting its own interests. The book was available as Mobipocket only the first week. The discount/micropay rebate combination was best that week.

A full week later (and it's often longer), the book is available in the eReader format (which is owned by Fictionwise), but costs much more.

If Fictionwise wants more people to buy books in its own format, they should treat each "format" as a new release. I've made the difficult choice to buy the Mobi book over the eReader one, because the savings is significant enough, even though I much prefer eReader, if given a choice.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
This is one of the ways I think Fictionwise is hurting its own interests. The book was available as Mobipocket only the first week. The discount/micropay rebate combination was best that week.

A full week later (and it's often longer), the book is available in the eReader format (which is owned by Fictionwise), but costs much more.

If Fictionwise wants more people to buy books in its own format, they should treat each "format" as a new release. I've made the difficult choice to buy the Mobi book over the eReader one, because the savings is significant enough, even though I much prefer eReader, if given a choice.
Except, Fictionwise wants all the formats to be the same list price and discount (except for the general eReader discount).

Right now we have to deal with some publishers that really don't understand the eBook market and what it should be.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think the FW store software allows for different prices for different formats, as (for example) the BoB store does. That appears to be the reason that FW sometimes don't sell books in specific formats even when that format is available elsewhere, if it's more expensive than the formats they are currently selling that book in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
There is only ebook shop with decent prices. It is Kindle store, the rest is rubbish.

Fictionwise:
Kushiel's Chosen [Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket]
Code:
                                Regular 	  		  	Club
You Pay:  	          $27.95      	      	  	  $23.76
Micropay Rebate:  	15% 	  		  	        15%
Cost After Rebate:  $23.76 	  		$20.20
vs. Kindle Price: $7.99

I wrote to FW 2 or 3 months ago about it, it was $9.99 in Kindle store then. 1 week late FW replied something like: We will look into it... Looks like Kindle Store looked into it instead.

Next:
FW:
The Hero of Ages [Mistborn Series Book 3] [Secure Mobipocket]
Code:
  	                      Regular 	  		  Club
You Pay:  	      $27.95 	  		  $23.76
Micropay Rebate:  	15% 	  		  	15%
Cost After Rebate:  $23.76 	  	$20.20
vs. Kindle Price: $9.99

What their excuse is, I don't care. They loose customers. I don't think I am the only one who would refuse to buy ebook for such a price.
Publisher is loosing as well. I go to library, take the book for free, scan it and read it. Please, don't mentioned that writers/publishers receive some "donation" from library scheme. It cannot be as much as if I bought the ebook for $10.

Last edited by astra; 11-12-2008 at 05:14 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
There is only ebook shop with decent prices. It is Kindle store, the rest is rubbish.

Fictionwise:
Kushiel's Chosen [Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket]
Code:
                                Regular 	  		  	Club
You Pay:  	          $27.95      	      	  	  $23.76
Micropay Rebate:  	15% 	  		  	        15%
Cost After Rebate:  $23.76 	  		$20.20
vs. Kindle Price: $7.99

I wrote to FW 2 or 3 months ago about it, it was $9.99 in Kindle store then. 1 week late FW replied something like: We will look into it... Looks like Kindle Store looked into it instead.

Next:
FW:
The Hero of Ages [Mistborn Series Book 3] [Secure Mobipocket]
Code:
  	                      Regular 	  		  Club
You Pay:  	      $27.95 	  		  $23.76
Micropay Rebate:  	15% 	  		  	15%
Cost After Rebate:  $23.76 	  	$20.20
vs. Kindle Price: $9.99

What their excuse is, I don't care. They loose customers. I don't think I am the only one who would refuse to buy ebook for such a price.
Publisher is loosing as well. I go to library, take the book for free, scan it and read it. Please, don't mentioned that writers/publishers receive some "donation" from library scheme. It cannot be as much as if I bought the ebook for $10.
You cannot compare the "legal" price of an eBook with "scanning it for free", which is illegal in the UK (even if you've bought the book).

If you think the price is too high, the answer is simple: don't buy it. There will always be other books to read.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You cannot compare the "legal" price of an eBook with "scanning it for free", which is illegal in the UK (even if you've bought the book).

If you think the price is too high, the answer is simple: don't buy it. There will always be other books to read.
That's the point.
Publishers and writers are loosing when they behave like that.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But it's their choice to do so - it's a free market. If I am an author, I have a perfect right to set the price at whatever I wish. You may think that the price is too high but, whether you may think, the choice is the author's or publisher's to make. The fact that someone considers the price to be too high doesn't give them a "right" to take it illegally.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

All true, the question still remains: Who is loosing?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Btw., why should I care?
People who owe CDs, convert them to MP3s, which is illegal in the UK. They don't care.
Why should I?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm not saying that you should care; I'm simply pointing out that it's illegal. I do think personally, however, that there's a considerable "moral" difference between ripping a CD that you're bought and scanning a library book, but we've had that discussion a thousand times before - there's really no point in re-hashing it all over again, is there?