Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Onyx to be at HK Electronics Fair

https://www.facebook.com/boox.onyx/p...38837039530309

This URL is from Onyx's Facebook page. They say they have several new models to show. I guess it'll be more refined versions of the models shown in another fair some months ago (computex?)
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

In case anyone is interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PC1_V-621Q
This is a video of the Onyx booth at the fair. They show their eink phone which is running Android 2.3 (seems to have been in the making for a long time)
They also show a m96 large ereader running Android 4.0. It seems to be the successor to the m92. There's no Google Play and no Google Apps which is a pity. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for that. I don't like sideloading.
They also say that all their future products will be Android...which I'm not sure to like since, AFAIK, the reading sw for Android seems to be worse than Onyx's Linux reading sw.
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
There is also from Onyx Boox, a new 6.8 '' e-ink Reader with Android 4. The display-size seems to be similiar to the Kobo Aura HD (6.8 '')
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
so the question now is whether to buy a M92 where software development is dead or to wait for a M96 with lousy SW
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepau View Post
so the question now is whether to buy a M92 where software development is dead or to wait for a M96 with lousy SW
I'm working on alternate FW for *62/*92. IMO Android is rubbish regardless e-ink device it runs on, especially in hands of Onyx guys.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
I'm working on alternate FW for *62/*92. IMO Android is rubbish regardless e-ink device it runs on, especially in hands of Onyx guys.
Good news ! Thanks Seaniko7 !
It will be great, if the firmware of the present device could evolve.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Thank you for your initiative.

Given your personal background, I look much hope the result of their work.

It may be the paradox, that our "old" readers work better than the "new" is announced with great fanfare.

A greeting. -
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
iampiti
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yep, that appears to be the choice right now. I want a large ereader and since my m92 broke I've been expecting Onyx to announce its replacement.
What I'd like is a better m92 (better processor and RAM, and possibly a better screen) with the m92 software. It'd be great if you could change between the Linux based firmware and the Android one on the m96.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Yeah, dual boot would be the perfect solution.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
so the question now is whether to buy a M92 where software development is dead
Is it?

According to the last update on the firmware upgrade thread the last FW release was on 2013-07-17.

Also:

Quote:
Please note, that this update does not contain some new features and fixes yet, which are still in testing (like margin setting, multitasking feature, Acapela TTS, etc).
So what makes you think it's dead?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
ChristineGER
Enthusiast
ChristineGER began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Is it?

According to the last update on the firmware upgrade thread the last FW release was on 2013-07-17.

Also:

Well, look at the date, look at the forum here...looks like dead area. :-)
Our only hope is some custom firmware.
ChristineGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineGER View Post
Well, look at the date, look at the forum here...looks like dead area. :-)
Having experienced no updates whatsoever from Pocketbook and watched the slow death of Kindle DX (although it seems it got resurrected, now @ $239) I've been actually quite happy with the frequency of updates from Onyx. Although it worries me when I see that they dilute their efforts and move their focus to silly things like the e-ink phone or experiment with new platforms. Ideally for me, the M92 user and e-ink believer, would be to see them perfecting the currently used software and then releasing M9200 with that same software but a better resolution, whiter and faster (touch)screen, backlight, which weights 25% less, and perhaps a few more games I'm ready to buy now. Wishful thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineGER View Post
Our only hope is some custom firmware.
So roughly how far away are we from the beta release?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #13
Irratzo
Enthusiast
Irratzo began at the beginning.

Device: M96, Pocketbook 903
M96 release Europe: "Q1 2014"

Hi,

I've asked about the M96 release date at https://onyx-boox.com/ ('Onyx Europe').
Their reply was quick albeit a bit sobering: too late for Christmas apparently.

Quote:
M96 will be probably available in first quarter of 2014. We are still working on those device so terms may change.

So the race is still on.
Irratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irratzo View Post
https://onyx-boox.com/ ('Onyx Europe')
Hi,
Just a precision, onyx-boox.com isn't 'Onyx Europe', it's only a European retailer, they bought the site to an other private company.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
I can not imagine that Onyx will develop for the M92 after launch of the M96
that would bind to much development resources and could lower M96 sales.

btw:
just saw that Ectacos Lux 2 translator runs on Anroid 2.x as well. maybe that inspired Onyx to switch the platform.
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote