Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Franklin eBookman

Just curious if anyone else out there besides me used the Franklin eBookman as their first ebook reader. If so, what did you think of it?
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I loved it. I had to get it from ebay, because they didn't sell it over here, but the fact that it ran on AA batteries was just too good to pass by.

I only had a defective device, there were a few that had problems with the internal capacitor, so, whenever my batteries were dead, I had to re-install the entire OS again...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Smile That Was A Problem With Mine As Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I loved it. I had to get it from ebay, because they didn't sell it over here, but the fact that it ran on AA batteries was just too good to pass by.

I only had a defective device, there were a few that had problems with the internal capacitor, so, whenever my batteries were dead, I had to re-install the entire OS again...
I had the same problem. If I remember correctly it was because they did not include a backup battery to keep the operating system in memory so you had to replace the batteries before they ran out. Outside of that I found it to be a wonderful reader.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
walterwill
walterwill began at the beginning.

Device: ebm 900
Red face usb issue

Hi ebm lovers, I've decided to put my ebm 900 in working order again because it's still the best when it comes to reading e-books, for me that is, as I have about a thousand books to read dating way back to the year 2000. Now, I have this problem: my usb connection does not recognize the reader though it is listed in the hardware. My pc is also a veteran working with usb 1.0 so I don't think that's the problem. My ebm keeps on asking to connect the usb cable which I do, but it doesn't activate. I've mistreated the reset button so many times that it has the marks of a cocaine addict. Help me out here please, I can't wait to start reading my books. Thank you very much.
Walter
walterwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Do you have the Desktop manager installed?

Find it here,
http://www.franklin.com/ebookman/download_software.asp

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
walterwill

Thanks for the advice Michael. I still have the original software and have installed everything I know. Unfortunately I don't find updates anymore, so I'm afraid I'm stuck, though hopefully not forever.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

You could always go old school and use sneakernet. Load the books onto a card, sneaker over to the EBM and plug it in. I don't remember what card the EBM takes but can tell you from experience that if you stick the incorrect card in the slot, it won't work and you''l never get it back out.

Michael
Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Lake person
Enthusiast
Lake person began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Bebook, Pocketbook 360
I am an old ebookman user. Loved it, miss it. I bought an old 901 on ebay. Thought as a back up it would be good. My computer did not recognize it. Turned out that Franklin products do not work with Windows Vista.

Lake
Lake person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
walterwill

The 900 works with MMC cards, which are not compatible with SD cards, though that's not the issue here. The fact that it's not recognized by Vista might be the real reason. I have win XP on my pc and that might be the same issue here. As I recall I had win 98 at the time of my ebm using. I don't have win 98 anymore but win 2000 might do the trick, hopefully. I'll try to install it just to have my ebm working. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep you informed.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
250 Coupe
Groupie

My EBM911 has always worked on my XP machine without any fuss.

I was pretty sure that the cards were MMC and can safely say that if you put a SD card in, it will be a bad thing.

Michael
Old 11-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #11
walterwill

It intrigues me that your EBM911 has no trouble working with XP. Now I have to find out why it does not on my pc, hard thinking needing. I have an Acer pda too which works perfectly, so it must be something with the hardware. I'll start with the usb cable, maybe it's not the right one (I don't have the original one anymore) for the EBM. Shops closed for the WW1 Armistice holiday I'll buy a new one tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
250 Coupe
Groupie

It is probably not related to your problem but I have some devices, a scanner for example, that only work with a powered hub or directly connected to the motherboard ports.

I've used both the software that came on the little CD and the software downloaded from Franklin and both have worked. You do have to have a little icon in the notification area near the clock. It's been a few weeks since I lasted used it so I don't remember what it looks like. I also run batgraph on the reader and leave it turned on and plugged into the PC. That way it runs off USB power rather than battery power, although there is some question as to whether it really saves the batteries.

If you have third party fire wall software running, might it stop the Desktop Manager from finding the reader?

If you still have trouble with yours, let me know and I'll document a step by step as I reinstall and connect my EBM911. I don't use it anymore, I'm reading on the eBookwise 1150 these days.

Michael
Old 11-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #13
walterwill

Hey Michael that's really nice of you. Your advice is valuable, I'll work on it in the weekend and let you know soon.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
DWWSCC
DWWSCC began at the beginning.

Device: FRANKLIN EBM-911
I NEED HELP HERE IS MY EMAIL ADDRESS WOULD YOU BE KIND ENOUGH TO REPLY AND EITHER GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR TELL ME IF I MIGHT CONTACT YOU TO GET SOME HELP? WITH MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE. MY FIRST NAME IS DOUG AND I LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA IN THE USA.
DWWSCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
DWWSCC
DWWSCC began at the beginning.

Device: FRANKLIN EBM-911
I NEED HELP HERE IS MY EMAIL ADDRESS WOULD YOU BE KIND ENOUGH TO REPLY AND EITHER GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR TELL ME IF I MIGHT CONTACT YOU TO GET SOME HELP? WITH MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE. MY FIRST NAME IS DOUG AND I LIVE IN SOUTH CAROLINA IN THE USA. IF YOU REPLY I THINK I CAN HELP YOU WITH INFO ON A WORK AROUND FOR VIST ON EBM-911.
DWWSCC is offline   Reply With Quote