Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
himitsuhieki
himitsuhieki began at the beginning.

Device: none
Helping importing to Calibre library please

I am adding my library to Calibre and it is tough since I have over 5000 books.
Currently I have my books sorted into a library I created that has a folder for each alphabet then a folder for each author. Within each author folder the books are listed author last name, first name - [series name #] - title when there is no series it is author last name, first name - title. Books that are read are read have a [read] at after the title. I also have a matching text file for each book that has the summary/description for the book.

Is there anyway I can easily import the library to Calibre keeping the same structure or as similar as possible? While disregarding the text files and tagging the books that are already read?
I would like to them be able to get metadata in bulk by author.

Last edited by himitsuhieki; 08-16-2011 at 03:14 PM.
himitsuhieki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by himitsuhieki View Post
Is there anyway I can easily import the library to Calibre keeping the same structure or as similar as possible?
Calibre is not designed to provide direct access to the books, and the storage structure is fixed. It might help to know why you want to keep the structure, in case workarounds are available for your needs.

You can always export your files in any structure you want, including your current structure, and you can slightly approximate the "author last name, first name" structure by using last name, first name for both the author name and the author_sort name.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
himitsuhieki
himitsuhieki began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wanted to keep the same structure to make it easier to import the books into Calibre.

I guess my real question is how I can do a bulk import. I will ask again in another post.
Thanks
himitsuhieki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by himitsuhieki View Post
I wanted to keep the same structure to make it easier to import the books into Calibre.
I guess my real question is how I can do a bulk import. I will ask again in another post.
Thanks
If all you want to do is import, then your existing structure seems fine. I'd suggest using the filename to grab the metadata, and grab [read] as part of the title, then create a custom column #read and do a search and replace to populate it and then to remove the [read] from the title.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote