Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
cookie1030
cookie1030 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Running CM7 on SD Card, utilizing unused space on card?

After installing CM7 on an 8GB card I noticed in Windows explorer that it is now 140MB. In Disk manager it shows 8GB with 4 partitions. The 4th partition is 6GB. Is there any way to use this space to install apps, etc?
cookie1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1030 View Post
After installing CM7 on an 8GB card I noticed in Windows explorer that it is now 140MB. In Disk manager it shows 8GB with 4 partitions. The 4th partition is 6GB. Is there any way to use this space to install apps, etc?
Yes and no, the first and fourth partitions are both FAT32, while the second and third are Linux partitions. Windows Explorer only sees the first active partition, which is the 140MB boot partition in your case. Usually it is necessary to expand the last partition to use all of the remaining space on the SD card, but your description sounds like that is already done? The last FAT32 partition is available as normal SD storage from within CM7, so you can use it for data, videos, etc. You will also be able to access it from within Windows when the Nook is attached to your PC as a USB storage device. Apps are installed on the internal FLASH /data/apps partition, but apps2SD can move some apps to the SD after installation. FWIW, the internal /eMMC partition is also available for data storage, and it already contains whatever you installed before using CM7.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Apps are installed on the internal FLASH /data/apps partition, but apps2SD can move some apps to the SD after installation.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you installed and are running CM7 on SD card, shouldn't the apps also be installed to the SD card (just one of the Linux partitions and not the 6GB FAT32 partition)?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you installed and are running CM7 on SD card, shouldn't the apps also be installed to the SD card (just one of the Linux partitions and not the 6GB FAT32 partition)?
Yes you are absolutely correct!!!! You caught me in a moment of confusion. I am running CM7 on the internal FLASH and I started thinking of that setup by the end of my post. Thank you for catching that.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
@cookie1030
Just saw the following on verygreen's post:
Quote:
Partition layout for the SD cards depends on size:
Less than 600M - unsupported.
up to 1G cards gets: system of ~300M and data of the rest of space. No FAT partition
2G cards (more than 1G up to 1800M) gets: 300M system, 612M data, rest is FAT sdcard
more than 2G cards gets: 460M system, 975M data, rest is FAT for sdcard.
Since you've got an 8GB card, I'm going to assume your actual programs are installed on the 975MB data partition which is quite plenty. I'd ignore the smaller FAT32 partition you see in Windows when using an SD card reader. I don't think that gets used for apps.

Edit:
Found more specific information regarding partitions:
Quote:
1st is boot
2nd is /system - your android installation live there
3rd is /data - program data lives there.
4th is /mnt/sdcard - this is the rest of space and is seen as an external sdcard that you can load with whatever you like.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-20-2011 at 01:27 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
cookie1030
cookie1030 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks for the information.
cookie1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
And just to further clarify (from my understanding):

1st is boot if you put the card in a card reader on a windows computer - this is the partition you will see
2nd is /system - your android installation live there
3rd is /data - program data lives there.
4th is /mnt/sdcard - this is the rest of space and is seen as an external sdcard that you can load with whatever you like. IF you plug Nook into a windows computer, and enable the Disk mode, this is the partition you will see. You can also install apps (that allow themselves) to this partition by selecting "install to sd card"
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote