Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
hpstricker
hpstricker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPad
Why Apple is unfriendly.

Please give me advices where to refer to for the following general finding:

Apple and its devices don't deserve the attribute "user centered/friendly" anymore!

I have at hand at least three concrete examples (all of them concerning the iPad,which I just bought), each single one of them would deserve long threads of discussion (where can I find those discussions?). Please note: I don't want to talk about "simple bugs" like non-support of special CSS-directives (which bother developers most):
  1. There is no global fulltext-search in the iBooks-App.
  2. There is no Back-button in the iBooks.
  3. In PDF-mode: after I adjusted the view of one PDF-page for optimal "screen utilization" (by gesture) and try to switch to the next page, after several trials (!) the next page is displayed but the "optimization" is lost!
Thanks for any hints
HP
hpstricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
It seems you have gripes with iPad but I do not understand what you want. Are you looking for a place to complain?
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
hpstricker

I am not quite sure what to do: I have severe reasons to complain (gripes), but I don't know what to do:
  • Are there dedicated hotlines (of Apple) that will take my complaints serious?
  • Are there user-forums that discuss my complaints in-depth?
  • Are there developer-forums that discuss my complaints in-depth?

Best
HP
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpstricker View Post
I am not quite sure what to do: I have severe reasons to complain (gripes), but I don't know what to do:
  • Are there dedicated hotlines (of Apple) that will take my complaints serious?
  • Are there user-forums that discuss my complaints in-depth?
  • Are there developer-forums that discuss my complaints in-depth?

Best
HP
The Apple website has a very active forum, I would suggest you head over there and see what they say
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
I can't comment about Apple's unfriendliness, but point #3 is why I still use Goodreader.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
You can go to http://discussions.apple.com/ and the comments are seen and responded to by Apple staff. Many of the complaints/suggestions/feature requests posted there do seem to have had some positive impact on software revisions, though it will not happen overnight.

I might suggest a different tack there, however. They are Apple centric, of course, and a broad generalization, like three missing features in one app equating to "Apple and its devices don't deserve the attribute "user centered/friendly" anymore!" will probably just be seen as trolling.

The Bandit

Last edited by GntlmnBndt; 01-12-2011 at 07:16 PM.
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Macrumors and ipadforums.net are both places you can check out.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #8
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I suggest to use this URL:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Since these are missing features only Apple could help you getting them
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
I suggest to use this URL:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Since these are missing features only Apple could help you getting them
Don't be silly Harakiri, I am sure if we were all to channel our negative vibes, Apple will feel it and will feel an unstoppable compulsion to fix the issues, why would anyone want to go to the source to complain.

OK, rant over, obviously I think you should take these comments to where they will have some chance of helping you, as much as I would like to think my shares in Apple really don't give me any pull with Steve.

If you would like help regarding your iPad, there are many members willing to lend a hand.

Cheers

Last edited by Mortis; 01-13-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Taking some venom out of the post...
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
what is silly to open a feature request at Apple?

Actually I did this several times. I am working at a software company and this is what our customers do as well with us when they want a feature in our software or if they found a bug.

Of course you can complain in any public forum and hope that somebody at Apple cares enough to see that but I prefer the direct approach ....
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I'll repeat everyone's advice and say: fill out a feedback form at Apple.com to request these features. From what I understand, Apple actually does take that feedback seriously. If you feel really strongly, try organizing a feedback campaign to encourage many people to send feedback on the same issue.

In the meantime, I'll try to address your concerns:

1. Nope. But Apple isn't alone: Goodreader and Stanza don't do this either. I think iAnnotate PDF does, but of course only for PDF.
2. If you mean what I think you mean, this feature was just added in the most recent version of iBooks.
3. Nope. But Goodreader does this extremely well.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #12
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
what is silly to open a feature request at Apple?

Actually I did this several times. I am working at a software company and this is what our customers do as well with us when they want a feature in our software or if they found a bug.

Of course you can complain in any public forum and hope that somebody at Apple cares enough to see that but I prefer the direct approach ....

Harakiri, sorry if I wasn't clear, I was agreeing with your advice.

I just added that it is "Silly" to come to a forum like this one and make complaints that the people on the forum cannot make changes.

Again sorry if I wasn't clear.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:17 AM   #13
hpstricker

@jharker: Thanks for your answers. Where is the back-button hidden? (I mean a button to go back to where I just came from, when using a hyperlink inside a book.) I bought and installed my iPad at the end of last week. When has the most recent version been released?

Further question: How can I move my books from iBooks to GoodReader?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
You judge a complete company based on 1 application which is less than a year old? Which has since launch gotten some nifty upgrades?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote