Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Question TOC Shortcut?

I've looked to no avail... Is there a K3 keyboard shortcut to get to the table of contents? I have a book where I refer back to the TOC frequently, and it always feels like a lot of navigation to get there.

Thanks, Merlynn
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
I've looked to no avail... Is there a K3 keyboard shortcut to get to the table of contents? I have a book where I refer back to the TOC frequently, and it always feels like a lot of navigation to get there.

Thanks, Merlynn
I share your observation, and no, there is no shortcut. This is something most other ereaders are better at: they have a dedicated button to go to TOC. And the TOC itself (in epub format) is a separate structure that you can browse without losing your place. The hyperlinked TOC we have is really inefficient especially with technical books, where the TOC entries can run over dozens of pages.

I suggest sending a note to 'kindle-feedback@amazon.com'
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The lack of this puzzled me, until I noticed how many books from Amazon don't even have a TOC...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
It would be nice to get a shortcut to the table of contents instead of Menu / Go To / Table of Contents

But navigating back to where you were originally reading is easy because it's just a case of pressing the back button (perhaps more than once if you've clicked onto a different chapter as well)

The Back button is my friend - sometimes while reading I'll hit the Home button by mistake but pressing back takes me straight back to where I was reading.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The lack of this puzzled me, until I noticed how many books from Amazon don't even have a TOC...
Hmmm, I think you have a good point there, JeremyR. It would be nice to have a Kindle shortcut to the TOC - and it would be nice if TOCs would be routinely included for Kindle eBooks (that benefit from them) in the first place!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Sony Readers do not have a dedicated TOC button either.

Whether a book has a TOC is totally under the control of the publisher. I suspect most publishers of ebooks are still very clueless to the features they can implement in ebooks, like linkable TOCs. The big name publishers are still stuck in the pre-digital world where typesetting was the standard.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #7
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
for books bought from amazon, there might be an option, namely while you're reading and you want to go back to the TOC press Menu, select Go To and a little window opens where you have several options: location, cover, beginning and contents, if i'm not mistaken.
however, books you convert from other sources don't have this possibility.
books from amazon also allow you to jump from chapter to chapter using the 5-way. i've tried to find how to do that with non-amazon books but so far no luck.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
for books bought from amazon, there might be an option, namely while you're reading and you want to go back to the TOC press Menu, select Go To and a little window opens where you have several options: location, cover, beginning and contents, if i'm not mistaken.
This is really not true, I'm afraid. Any book can have a TOC - it simply requires a "toc" entry in the "Guide" section of the OPF. All the Mobi books that I create, for example, have working TOCs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
books from amazon also allow you to jump from chapter to chapter using the 5-way. i've tried to find how to do that with non-amazon books but so far no luck.
That's done via the NCX in the source files, which is dependent upon the competence of the ebook-producer to include and nothing particularly limited to Amazon provenance.

Any decent ePub will have one already and convert with its chapter marks usable on Kindle. For non-DRM Mobi books you can unpack and add one yourself.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Yeah, but I think there should really be a dedicated button for that function (which I think the OP was saying as well).

If you do it a lot, it gets old having to press menu, then goto , then move it over to TOC and press enter.

Maybe they didn't think there was room? (They could map the function maybe to Shift+Menu?)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is really not true, I'm afraid. Any book can have a TOC - it simply requires a "toc" entry in the "Guide" section of the OPF. All the Mobi books that I create, for example, have working TOCs.
and how can i create such TOC in the opf? i've been trying to work it out but any instructions have really left me chasing my tail.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Open the OPF file in Mobi Creator. Go to the "Guide" page, and add an entry as follows:

Title: Table of Contents
Type: toc
Filename: mybook.html#toc

where the last entry is the address of wherever in your book you've put the TOC. In my case, I'd an an anchor in my book of the form:

<a name="toc"></a>

to mark the position.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Thanks for the responses. It just seems that if Alt-B can add a bookmark, Alt-T should be able to take you to the TOC. I did send email to Kindle-Feedback. They confirmed there was no shortcut and said they'd pass the suggestion along.

BTW HarryT puts together beautifully formatted books, I've been enjoying some of the public domain gems he made available here. Thanks.

-M
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote