Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Updated metadata on PC - Should I reconvert?

My preferred format for all of my books is Mobi.

When I first installed Calibre I converted many books from other formats (mainly lib and zip) to mobi.

Since then, I've updated the metadata of most if not all of those books. Should I reconvert the books to mobi in order to ensure the mobi books have all the updated data and covers? If so, I'd like to make a feature request: it would be great if Calibre tracked the books it had converted so that updates to the metadata cause a prompt to reconvert that title.
melvynadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
An option, to 'touch' the selected files, updating all metadata (stored in the files), would be nice.

With possibility of checking if cover (filesize?), in file matches one in database
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
An option, to 'touch' the selected files, updating all metadata (stored in the files), would be nice.
Whenever you Send books to Device, connect to Folder or Save to disk metadata is updated on the fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
With possibility of checking if cover (filesize?), in file matches one in database
... and if the cover is properly labeled in the ePub I believe it gets updated (0.7.11) en-route too.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-26-2010 at 07:17 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Whenever you Send books to Device, connect to Folder or Save to disk metadata is updated on the fly...
How marvelous. Is this new? I remember there was a time when I *had* to re-convert to update the metadata.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
I don't "send books to device". I manually copy them to the SD card which I use in my Palm. I'm using Calibre for conversion and also to organize and present (to myself) my collection of 200+ ebooks in the most helpful and usable way.

Are you saying that whenever I edit metadata all of the formats of a book are automatically updated?
melvynadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvynadam View Post
I don't "send books to device". I manually copy them to the SD card which I use in my Palm. I'm using Calibre for conversion and also to organize and present (to myself) my collection of 200+ ebooks in the most helpful and usable way.

Are you saying that whenever I edit metadata all of the formats of a book are automatically updated?
If you "manually copy" directly out of the Calibre library, then you won't get updated metadata. Calibre is designed to use "Save to Disk" for this job. If you use that, it will update the metadata before the save. "No," all formats in the library are not updated when metadata is changed. None are updated inside the library, but metadata is updated when using any of the methods Calibre provides to export book formats out of the library.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvynadam View Post

"Save to disk" (point it at you SD Card, wherever it is connected, will update the metadata as it is sent.
My experience is,reconverting (epub to epub) will destroy some of the manual edits made to an ePub
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The only time the copies of files held inside the library are updated is currently when a conversion is run. As mentioned the various export options update the exported file but leave the internal file alone.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

... and if the cover is properly labeled in the ePub I believe it gets updated (0.7.11) en-route too.
What if I've already sent the book to my device, then do some additional metadata clean-up? If I re-send the book, will it duplicate the title, or update the metadata? Or neither? I have a nook.
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My experience is,reconverting (epub to epub) will destroy some of the manual edits made to an ePub
Oh no! Precisely which ones? I do epub-to-epub conversions quite often and am wondering if it's changed my epubs in some way I've not discovered yet.

On subsequent conversions, I do usually turn off some of the options I may have used on an initial conversion -- like paragraph indent.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Oh no! Precisely which ones? I do epub-to-epub conversions quite often and am wondering if it's changed my epubs in some way I've not discovered yet.

On subsequent conversions, I do usually turn off some of the options I may have used on an initial conversion -- like paragraph indent.
I had styled chapter headers, centered, background color, border=> Plain Left justified , All my text changes were intact. Might have been a glitch, but I would prefer to have a tiered "convert overwrite" lockout: Never, Metadata only, Cover Only, Cover and Metadata, unlocked
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote