Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Apple tablet may be colour e-ink?

Tech pundit Robert X Cringley has done an interesting two-parter on Apple and the publishing industry. In part two he says he's convinced Apple's much-rumoured tablet device will feature a colour e-ink screen and be capable of showing video...

More here:-

http://www.cringely.com/2009/10/appl...hing-part-two/

What do you reckon - wishful thinking or thinking different??
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Real technological innovation from Apple?? I don't believe it for a minute!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
There is a better chance for Apple to come out with a LCD-based tablet device powered by a mini disposable nuclear power cell than the LED-backlit bi-stable color video display mentioned in the article.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
There is a better chance for Apple to come out with a LCD-based tablet device powered by a mini disposable nuclear power cell than the LED-backlit bi-stable color video display mentioned in the article.
That. I don't think there is any reason to think Apple will be using e-Ink.. especially color e-ink able to to do video!

As far as I can tell, it's just too ugly for Apple to consider!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
That. I don't think there is any reason to think Apple will be using e-Ink.. especially color e-ink able to to do video!

As far as I can tell, it's just too ugly for Apple to consider!
+1

Either the Apple Tablet will be using eInk for video, because the Apple Tablet will finally come out in 2020, and by then the refresh rates might actually support that. Doing video with 1fps, does not make for a satisfying experience.

Or the Apple Tablet will come out sooner and use an LCD display.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
This sounds like BS, considering how far away color eink is. It appears the Barnes and Noble color eink reader rumor was false:
http://www.electronista.com/articles...ore.rep.wrong/

Even if they had color eink, displaying video would be orders of magnitude farther down the road. There isn't a black and white or grey eink display that has a fast enough refresh rate to display video.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Yeah, the video part was just too far fetched.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Y'know, there is a reason why I haven't heard anyone discuss Cringley in a long time...

• Color eInk is well over a year away.
• eInk fails for animations.
• He fails to understand that the "mass market" isn't particularly critical for ebooks. (A common mistake, but he is supposed to be a professional pundit after all....)

I could go on with the usual about how the alleged tablet has been hyped for years, is most likely a myth, how buying into Apple rumors is a sucker's game, how an Apple Bookstore would be a nightmare for publishers, how Apple has no motivation to make its own bookstore etc., but the repetition gets a bit tiring on occasion.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
He's basically making things up about what Apple's (mythical) tablet would do. He also clearly doesn't know anything about eInk technology.

eInk video?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
There is a better chance for Apple to come out with a LCD-based tablet device powered by a mini disposable nuclear power cell ....
I heard about those. Don't you have to get those up to miles per hour to turn the page?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
is it the display tech/design that is the limiting factor or the controller and supporting hardware which is limiting the video ability? I understand how eink works in the large view, it's actually a reset/blank flash then display the desired content.

Has the current controller tech reached the physical refresh speed limit of current display? I am assuming for full speed video refresh would require, what, around 120-flashes/sec, yes? 140ish flashes/sec to meet current video refresh cycles of 60 or 72 cycles/sec for crt's and whatever it really works out to be on LCD displays to acheive a flicker free output? That part I am not sure of but if true would seem to be the hitch using current eink screens.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another article on this silly rumor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #13
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
The most recent fuel that's fired the Apple-Tablet Rumor was large orders put in for particular screen sizes. It seems really unlikely to me that Apple would release an eInk device, let alone one which has a technology which is still in the early prototype phase.

Apple's recent tech moves have been largely about releasing tech "done right", that is to say, improving upon existing technologies. I'm still pretty skeptical about the tablet rumor, but less so than I was 3 months ago. I don't see Apple pushing this as an eReader...
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Two years ago, while shooting interviews at e-ink in Cambridge Massachusetts, we saw what was probably the first demonstration of an e-ink display that was in color and supported full motion video.
I WANT IT!

Not the "color video e-ink." What they were smoking when they thought they saw color video e-ink.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
Apple's recent tech moves have been largely about releasing tech "done right", that is to say, improving upon existing technologies. I'm still pretty skeptical about the tablet rumor, but less so than I was 3 months ago. I don't see Apple pushing this as an eReader...
If Apple is really about tech done right, then why did they release the iPhone and iPod Touch? I especially like the burning iPhones. Those are really right tech.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote