Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
LRF to ePUB : Will it ever be possible

With the fact that Sony will be dropping LRF, and my entire book library is largely in LRF format, will Calibre support the converting of LRF to ePub at any point.

I have downloaded the LRFTools Java stuff, but can't seem to get it to work.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Sony indicated that you can redownload your LRF-format books in ePub once they make the switch No need to do the conversion yourself.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that you are mistaken. Sony will let you redownload the books that you've bought from the Sony eBook Store. They are "LRX" format, not "LRF".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidiot View Post
Sony indicated that you can redownload your LRF-format books in ePub once they make the switch No need to do the conversion yourself.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Juliette, I repeat - you will NOT be able to convert any of your LRF books this way.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505, 700, 300, & 600 will continue to have support for LRf/LRX. The question is if the 500 will continue to have support or will a new ePub firmware take that away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
So no need for a conversion? Even if one goes to the PRS-600 path? That's even better
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
So no need for a conversion? Even if one goes to the PRS-600 path? That's even better
No need to convert. The 600 will have LRF/LRX support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Yes, but my original question was will calibre support conversion of unprotected LRF files to another format. Not books from the SONY store.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I understood that, halljames, which is why I said that the comment about Sony bookstore books being able to be downloaded as ePub was irrelevent to LRF.

Isn't there a tool available to convert LRF back to HTML? You should then be able to convert the HTML to ePub.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I understood that, halljames, which is why I said that the comment about Sony bookstore books being able to be downloaded as ePub was irrelevent to LRF.

Isn't there a tool available to convert LRF back to HTML? You should then be able to convert the HTML to ePub.

Unfortunately, Harry, there are certain things lost in the conversion process. I'm referring here to my almost 600 lrf books available here on MobileRead. Converting them will be a labor intensive project due mainly to the fact that my hard drive crashed about once on my original laptop used to assemble these.

If anyone knows of a tool to allow successful conversion, please let me know.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Drat - that is a major problem, Don!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Unfortunately, Harry, there are certain things lost in the conversion process. I'm referring here to my almost 600 lrf books available here on MobileRead. Converting them will be a labor intensive project due mainly to the fact that my hard drive crashed about once on my original laptop used to assemble these.

If anyone knows of a tool to allow successful conversion, please let me know.

Don
Bummer. I don't know about the fidelity of LRFtools but it might be worth a shot. And hey, if your hard drive still spins up it might be possible to recover some data. If it doesn't, well, it costs but some specialized companies can rescue the data for ~500-1000 EUR.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not a priority for me personally, that said, most of the necessary code is already in calibre, so if some enterprising person wants to have a look and submit a patch, feel free. I'll help you get started.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes there is, try doing a search for ABC Amber Sony converter that purports to convert LRF (not LRX) to PDF, HTML, CHM, DOC, RTF, TXT, HLP documents.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote