Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Crash and burn

My kindle just crashed and seems to have destroyed the book I was reading. Not in itself a problem if I could remember the title or the author. So, as I can't can anyone help? A murder mystery somewhat historical, with a stabbing in the church during a marriage ceremony. Spies are involved, and there is a storm at the moment of the murder. Seventeenth century-ish, and high society involved. More I can't say, I wasn't very far into the book. I do know it was a freebie, but a trawl through the freebies posts hasn't found it. Anyone? TIA
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it was a download from Amazon, just go to "My Account", then "My Kindle Orders" to see everything you've downloaded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry I already tried that but nothing looked like the book I was reading. I did download everything that looked even a bit likely. It is probably something I sideloaded.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Sorry can't help with title but can I suggest, for the future, backups... I keep at least two copies of every ebook I own on separate hard disks as well as putting on my eReader...

Edit:And as Harry mentioned below, I use calibre to do this...

Last edited by elcreative; 04-22-2012 at 12:12 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Thanks Harry I already tried that but nothing looked like the book I was reading. I did download everything that looked even a bit likely. It is probably something I sideloaded.
How do you maintain your eBook library? If, as I do, you use Calibre, you can sort it by date added.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Hi, yes, this will be in my Calibre library, which is in dropbox. A lot of it.....but, if I don't know the author or the title how do I find it? Backups I have, but I don't know the date I added it, and there are several megabytes of books to look through. So I really really hope someone recognizes this book, because if not I'll have to read something else. I'm away from home with just the ipad, so I can acess dropbox to pull the book out once I know what it is......round and round we go.

Oh, and I have the kindle, but it seems to be dying.

Last edited by piperclassique; 04-22-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
You could try searching the comments field (calibre) for some of the plot elements you remember.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
What an interesting problem lol! I would probably just scan all the recently modified documents.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi, yes, this will be in my Calibre library, which is in dropbox. A lot of it.....but, if I don't know the author or the title how do I find it? Backups I have, but I don't know the date I added it, and there are several megabytes of books to look through. So I really really hope someone recognizes this book, because if not I'll have to read something else. I'm away from home with just the ipad, so I can acess dropbox to pull the book out once I know what it is......round and round we go.

Oh, and I have the kindle, but it seems to be dying.
You've tried looking at the Kindle's "documents" folder and sorting the files by date, I presume?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I appreciate K4PC is probably different, so p'raps no help, but I only recently discovered the "Details" option on the contents file, which still shows the kindle gobbledygook ref nos instead of titles, but also includes dates downloaded.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Quote:
You've tried looking at the Kindle's "documents" folder and sorting the files by date, I presume?
Yes indeedy. But as this is almost certainly from some time back and from the large TBR pile that didn't help. Off to smashwords now to do the same thing....
Oh, and the kindle has died, so it's all happening on the ipad now.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes indeedy. But as this is almost certainly from some time back and from the large TBR pile that didn't help. Off to smashwords now to do the same thing....
Oh, and the kindle has died, so it's all happening on the ipad now.
Sorry, what I meant was that if it was the most recent book that you were reading on the Kindle, then the ".mbp" file associated with the book would be the most recently dated file in the "documents" folder. But obviously that doesn't apply if the Kindle is completely dead.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #13
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

Ah,yes, I hadn't realised what you meant. But as you say it's not now relevant. The kindle may still work as an external drive, I will find this out when I get to a computer with a USB port. Though as it killed the book the .mbp file may not be there any more.
I am still hoping someone may recognise the description. Bit of a forlorn hope, though.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What country did this take place in?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #15
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot

England, and so far we have been in St James' Park, London, and a church in town. The murder takes place in the church during a storm, and the murdered man is some sort of spy. I think the wordintelligencer is used.

Last edited by piperclassique; 04-23-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Added London