Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2009 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell 28 29.79%
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow 19 20.21%
Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy 4 4.26%
The Road Home by Rose Tremain 4 4.26%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 12 12.77%
At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft 13 13.83%
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #31
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You're so lucky you got to discuss such interesting literature in English class. I didn't
I had to read it too (but in French !). We studied it in "Première", in French class. Don't remember a lot about it, though...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:46 PM   #32
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1984 was discussed to death in English class. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again. Let's do something different then what most of us have already done in school.
Quote:
You're so lucky you got to discuss such interesting literature in English class. I didn't
Mind you, it would be interesting to see whether people's views of it have changed with age.

Having said, I voted for Little Brother...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Mind you, it would be interesting to see whether people's views of it have changed with age.

Having said, I voted for Little Brother...
Well I did just read it and very much enjoyed it, but I think if I had read it in high school I wouldn't have. Ironically, i read Steinbeck's The Red Pony when I was in third grade, then had to read it in high school, which made it automatically boring. Go figure.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #34
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Well I did just read it and very much enjoyed it, but I think if I had read it in high school I wouldn't have. Ironically, i read Steinbeck's The Red Pony when I was in third grade, then had to read it in high school, which made it automatically boring. Go figure.
I may have to re-read it even if it doesn't win (which currently looks unlikely!) to see if I still feel the same about the ending.

Mind you, a lot of the books I enjoyed in school I still enjoy now. But only those that were set by one of the teachers.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #35
Trono
Enthusiast
Trono began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I have recently read both the favorites - 1984 (re-read) and Little Brother - so my vote goes to Down and Out.

I'm gonna read it - and also Looking Backward - regardless of the result of the poll, 'cause they both look intriguing. The MRBC choise isn't always bullseye - I didn't bother to finish last month - but I enjoy very much the way I get ideas and inspiration towards new books...
Trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
WOW! I totally forgot to post when this poll closed.

As you can all see 1984 has won.... now get reading !!!

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 08-06-2009 at 05:23 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
WOW! I totally forgot to post when this poll closed.

As you can all see 1984 has one.... now get reading !!!

BOb
actually it seems to have twenty-eight.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
actually it seems to have twenty-eight.
I see what you did there... you caught me before my edit. I really should re-read my posts before I click "submit".

BOb
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #39
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Since I have read 1984 and Little Brother and Down and Out I think I will read the 1st Ladies Detective as an unauthorized extension for this month. Feel free to join me.

BOb

(That is if I don't decide to read the rest of the Mistborn series since I am so loving the first book, reading it now.)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I see what you did there... you caught me before my edit. I really should re-read my posts before I click "submit".

BOb

(that happens to me all the time)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote