Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
kpoviv
kpoviv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Small images impossible to read (Kindle-Calibre-.MOBI).

When I upload manuals or books with images to my Kindle in .MOBI format, when I try to read them I cannot enlarge the images. How can I solve that?
I use the .MOBI format, not AZW3 because my previous Kindle crashed and I lost all the books I had converted to that format. Only the books I bought remained.
And I have noticed that the books in .MOBI format are kept in the Amazon account along with the books. I also have 3 devices linked to the same account and it is easier for me to download them in .MOBI format and not have to pass the books one by one on each device.

kpoviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Download the books to your computer using Transfer Via USB which you'll find on the Devices and Content page of Amazon.

Learn how to strip the DRM. We can't tell you how to do it here. Google Apprentice Alf - this will lead you to the correct information.

Download Calibre, put your books in there, then convert to azw3. The books can't be 'stolen' by amazon, because they're on your hardrive.

Then sideload them - via usb - onto your kindle. Try to keep your kindle in airplane mode. This prevents unwanted updates and saves battery power.

When they're back on your kindle, in azw3, you should be able to expand the images.

I'VE JUST READ YOUR PAST POSTS AND SEE THAT YOU HAVE AN IRRATIONAL DISLIKE OF AZW3 - AND THAT YOU LIKE SHOUTING.

Last edited by BookCat; 06-30-2022 at 09:58 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 06:38 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
azw3 is the best Kindle format!

Or at least is unless they ever add epub to actual Kindles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
kpoviv

The current kindle I have is the third.
The first one broke, the second one froze the screen.
I hate AZW3 because on my first kindle I had all the books in that format. I didn't have a computer and downloaded all the books I liked in internet cafes. When the kindle stopped working I lost all the books I had saved, which were more than 500 and even then I didn't know how to use Goodreads so I don't even remember all the books I had read in all those years.
With .MOBI, if my kindle breaks right now, I'll be able to recover all the books because they're in the account's cloud.
Those of Amazon are geniuses:
If you use AZW3= you have all the features of a purchased book, but you don't have the option to save them in the cloud.
If you use .MOBI= you can save them in the cloud, but you don't have a page count and the images are small.
If you use DOCX= you have large images and you can save the books in the cloud, but you don't have chapters or pages.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoviv View Post
I hate AZW3 because on my first kindle I had all the books in that format. I didn't have a computer and downloaded all the books I liked in internet cafes. When the kindle stopped working I lost all the books I had saved, which were more than 500 and even then I didn't know how to use Goodreads so I don't even remember all the books I had read in all those years.
With .MOBI, if my kindle breaks right now, I'll be able to recover all the books because they're in the account's cloud.
Those of Amazon are geniuses:
If you use AZW3= you have all the features of a purchased book, but you don't have the option to save them in the cloud.
If you use .MOBI= you can save them in the cloud, but you don't have a page count and the images are small.
If you use DOCX= you have large images and you can save the books in the cloud, but you don't have chapters or pages.
This is all nonsense.

1) Don't rely on Amazon's cloud at all. Make local backups*.
2) Amazon isn't accepting mobi for Send to Kindle soon, and hasn't accepted them for KDP uploads for reflowable (=real ebooks) for ages.
3) If you don't have chapters, pages or correct size images you are not using Word (or LO Writer properly).

I've been formatting ebooks for years. I edit in LO Writer "odt" format and an extra Save As in MS Word's "docx" format. I import the docx to calibre and make an epub. If needed, I can put a height auto and a % for width for images (of screen or enclosing container) in the CSS.

I experimented with "Send to Kindle" years ago and it's garbage compared to "sideload" (USB transfer) an azw3 or a dual mobi (one that's for ancient kindles and has essentially azw3 in it for modern Kindles).
I only upload epub2 to Amazon KDP (on their advice).
I only put azw3 or dual mobi on ACTUAL Kindles, and ONLY from Calibre, never ever from Amazon.
Been buying Amazon Kindle ebooks for about 9 years. Mostly (and now ALWAYS) only go Content & Devices and Download for PC transfer via USB, which will work also for an Android phone or tablet that has USB2Go to see a Kindle as a USB memory stick and has a file manager.

I actually now only read the Amazon ebooks on a Kobo.

It's a separate topic, but unless it's text books the page number and page count is irrelevant. For fiction the important things are % read and total word count. Page count varies according to size, margins and font (size and face) for paper and ebooks.

(* Backups are not really backups unless there is no DRM – or it's removed, but all the ebooks actually bought from Amazon can be downloaded again on to a new Kindle even if you have no backups as long as the new Kindle is registered to the same account.)
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kpoviv: have you got a pc now, or are you still dependent on internet cafes and wifi hotspots?
Your dogged avoidance of Download to USB makes me wonder.

Both Quoth and I have given you useful advice, but it's only viable if you have a pc.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
@kpoviv: have you got a pc now, or are you still dependent on internet cafes and wifi hotspots?
Your dogged avoidance of Download to USB makes me wonder.

Both Quoth and I have given you useful advice, but it's only viable if you have a pc.
I tried a micro-USB plug to USB-A socket adaptor on my Android 6 Sony-Ericsson phone. With an installed File browser I could copy a file downloaded by phone browser.
I've not tried this on my much newer lenovo tablet, though I have USB-C plug to USB-A socket adaptor and it has a file manager included.

Of course you can't (AFAIK) remove DRM with only Android as an OS, thus you don't have absolute backups. But certainly you can copy Kindle files to SD card on Android and vice-versa if the Android gadget has USB2go host mode.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #8
kpoviv

I like many things you have said, but I have not been able to fully understand them. Could I leave you this book in Epub that I downloaded (and later I convert it into .MOBI to send it to the Kindle) and that you edit it in the format you use for Kindle? I'll use the format you're suggesting because from what you've told me, it's much better.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/191c...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
I like many things you have said, but I have not been able to fully understand them. Could I leave you this book in Epub that I downloaded (and later I convert it into .MOBI to send it to the Kindle) and that you edit it in the format you use for Kindle? I'll use the format you're suggesting because from what you've told me, it's much better.
You can do this yourself.
I don't suggest downloading the file in case it happens to be infected.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:46 AM   #10
kpoviv

Could you pass me a youtube video where they explain how to edit with LibreOffice or a tutorial from a forum? I just installed it but I don't know how to edit it.
What I do is download books in epub (like the one in the link I gave you), I drag them to Calibre and give it .MOBI format. I never do more than that.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:25 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Download the eBook from the following link. It is in ePub. Convert it to KF8 (AZW3) and then side load it onto your Kindle and see how the images are.

With Calibre, check that you are not set for the images to be reduced in size. Go to Preferences > Common Options > Page setup. Make sure you are set to Tablet under Output profile and Default profile under Input profile. What this will be is that when you convert, the images will not be modified.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=328102
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
.mobi, amazon, calibre, libros