Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #16
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Voyager - I still have their "Laurie Anderson's Puppet Motel" cd. That was a weird, interactive and non-directional piece of work. Unfortunately it hasn't worked since about Windows 2000.

On the other hand I still use my Sony 505 which continues to chug along quite well.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
One thing he doesn't list as a reason for failure, he notes as what is still missing:
Quote:
Already in 1992 the main argument for ebooks was “extended functionality”, smart digital features that increase the reading experience. So where are all these new e-features?
This was one of the problems with products like those the blog author was involved in, they were trying to make stuff that was more/better/different than the original book. Had they started simpler and been ready to evolve they may have left themselves open to a larger market. The more modest and philanthropic venture of Project Gutenberg began back in 1971 and is still going. (That's not to agree that ebooks were invented there, as suggested on the site, but the simple solution offered there bears a close resemblance to what we are now buying: the book, not the whiz-bang.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
One thing he doesn't list as a reason for failure, he notes as what is still missing:

This was one of the problems with products like those the blog author was involved in, they were trying to make stuff that was more/better/different than the original book. Had they started simpler and been ready to evolve they may have left themselves open to a larger market. The more modest and philanthropic venture of Project Gutenberg began back in 1971 and is still going. (That's not to agree that ebooks were invented there, as suggested on the site, but the simple solution offered there bears a close resemblance to what we are now buying: the book, not the whiz-bang.)
Yep.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
This was one of the problems with products like those the blog author was involved in, they were trying to make stuff that was more/better/different than the original book.
In a sense, I think they had to make ebooks "better" than print books. Portability was seriously lacking back then, even in terms of laptops. (Laptops were much larger, somewhat heavier, and incredibly expensive.) So it would have hard to sell an ebook as a straightforward book. Throw in some extra features though, and a few people would nibble. That was particularly true in education markets which were going ga-ga over multimedia back then.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
In a sense, I think they had to make ebooks "better" than print books. Portability was seriously lacking back then, even in terms of laptops. (Laptops were much larger, somewhat heavier, and incredibly expensive.) So it would have hard to sell an ebook as a straightforward book. Throw in some extra features though, and a few people would nibble. That was particularly true in education markets which were going ga-ga over multimedia back then.
Certainly there there problems - whatever approach they took - but by starting heavy and whiz-bang they compounded their problems right at the start (size, compatibility/portability, expense, taste etc.), never giving smaller, simpler and cheaper solutions a chance (and which could then evolve). It's not unexpected that companies would try what they did at that time, but their approach automatically limited both their supply and their market. Software development has learned a lot about the advantages of evolution in that time (in some places at least).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Certainly there there problems - whatever approach they took - but by starting heavy and whiz-bang they compounded their problems right at the start (size, compatibility/portability, expense, taste etc.), never giving smaller, simpler and cheaper solutions a chance (and which could then evolve). It's not unexpected that companies would try what they did at that time, but their approach automatically limited both their supply and their market. Software development has learned a lot about the advantages of evolution in that time (in some places at least).
I definitely agree with what you're saying, but I'm very much uncertain if they could have followed a modern model back then and have had much success.

A few of your suggestions were certainly in the realm of possibility. Dedicated ereaders could have been created, and likely at the same price point. (Albeit, slightly bulkier and with different screen and battery technologies.) I'm fairly certain that manuscripts were digital back then, so the conversion process would have been trivial. So the smaller, simpler, cheaper philosophy was available.

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that it would have been incredibly risky. In order to reach your market back then, you'd have to box a bunch of floppies (or other physical media) and ship them to vendors since a fraction of computer users even had access to online services. That costs money. If it doesn't sell, that means losing lots of money.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I get nostalgic sometimes for my old Sony Clie monochrome Palm OS PDA. I probably read 100 books on that thing.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Voyager - I still have their "Laurie Anderson's Puppet Motel" cd. That was a weird, interactive and non-directional piece of work. Unfortunately it hasn't worked since about Windows 2000.

On the other hand I still use my Sony 505 which continues to chug along quite well.
Yep, and I still have both the Maus and "Hard Days Night" CD's that were mentioned in the article. I still keep an old Mac OS9 computer alive just for Maus (even the new Metamaus still has it's electronic copy in a proprietary format. I keep hoping that someday I'll stumble across a Hypercard emulator that lets me extract the images from my Voyager CD).
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote