Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Can you re-read a book you enjoyed 20 years ago?

While working in a charity bookshop (book heaven) I was thrilled to come across a book I had read and enjoyed in my teens. When I said I was taking it home to read, one of the volunteers (an avid reader) said, "You won't be able to read it." Convinced she was wrong, I took it home, only to find I couldn't get into it at all. So when a new volunteer also found a book she had loved when in her early twenties, I suggested she wouldn't be able to read it. She was sure she would. But guess what, she brought it back the following week unread, and couldn't understand what she had seen in it in the first place.
I guess our reading tastes do change, except perhaps for the classics - which is why they are classics.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Over ten years ago I read Blue Highways. While the American "scene" has changed quite a bit since then,
I was easily able to get into the book.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I have a couple of favs I read a zillion years ago... that I still reread. Tolkien. Mary Stewart's 'Touch Not the Cat', a time travel book called 'The Mirror' by Marlys Millhiser (or some similar spelling). Sure, I pick through them a bit more than I did when I was a teenager, but they are still favorites!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Some yes, some no ... but then I wasn't in my teens twenty years ago

One particular author that I re-read fairly recently shows how some things have changed for me: William Horwood. Twenty years ago I would have placed his Duncton Wood series among my favourites (see the 11 top novels thread) but I didn't enjoy them as much the last time around. Whereas these novels of his: The Stonor Eagles and Skallagrigg (and even the short Callanish) I find just as powerful now as when I first read them.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Wilyumm
Wilyumm
Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Wilyumm , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony prs505, Sony prs 950
In my teens I read the Martian Series by Burroughs. A year or so ago I found them in ebook form and reread them. Still as good as ever. (I'm almost 67)
Wilyumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
There are some books I cannot reread. My tastes have changed too much. OTOH there are numerous books I have reread that I first read 25-30 years ago.

In fact I just reread "To Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust which I first read in 1984. I have reread the entire Chronicles of Amber series by Roger Zelazny this past year as well. But there is some Heinlein I cannot reread, the whole rich people with mansions equipped with lime pits so they can dispose of people who dare visit them gets a bit old. John Norman's Gor books are too much to read now as well, I barely tolerated them the first time. I can't read most Piers Anthony nowadays either. Though I did reread Macroscope a couple of years ago.

So it depends.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I used to love the Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Sadly, I can no longer read them. However, they still have a fond place in my memory.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm sure there would be some I wouldn't want to reread, but some I know I still love and have reread.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Heinlein's Tunnel In The Sky. Read it in the late 70's ... every bit as much fun to read today.

Gave a copy to my 11 year old daughter. When I asked her how she liked it, she disagreed with who married who in the story. Go figure . . .

Last edited by AintLDS; 01-11-2011 at 09:09 PM.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I devoured Asimov, especially the Foundation books. Last year, I got ahold of a free e-version and tried to read it. Couldn't do it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I read all of Chandler and all available Hammett ca. 1972-74.

I've been re-reading them this year and I've enjoyed them very much, but not as much as the first time.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Yes, i do.

Perry Rhodan....the complete series. Read as a teenage, now starting again and at book ~ 440.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
I read Space Prison by Tom Godwin back when it was called "The Survivors". I managed to lose the book (think my Mum gave it away with a load of other books when I moved away from home) and had also forgotten the title.

I then came across this book while browsing in a second hand shop and the story looked familiar so I snapped it up and read it to find out it was indeed an updayed version of Survivors. I really enjoyed it second time around and have made sure this copy is going nowhere
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It varies. I can't enjoy rereading Robert E. Howard as much as I did back then. But I seem to enjoy Roger Zelazny even more than I did on the first pass.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Some I can, some I can't - though in general I don't reread anything as much now as I did before I was 25. As a teenager I'd often finish a book and then go back to the beginning and reread it immediately - without even getting up.

I don't do that anymore.

Also, I have different reasons for not rereading books - some I can't get into any more (I could never re-read anything by Weis and Hickman ever again) while I think others I simply over-read.

For example, I haven't been able to re-read Lord of the Rings in about the last decade -mainly because I read it twice a year for about twenty-five years and after fifty-odd readings I just don't feel the need to re-read.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote