Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #16636
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Reading Wen Spencer's latest Eight Million Gods. Reading the description for the book, I was only mildly interested, but as usual her writing has captured me and I'm trying to find 5 minute slots in my day to steal time to read. Recommended.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #16637
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
Finished Into Thin Air:
For me this book was both good and not so good. The hardships the climber subjects themselves to are nothing but mind boggling. I'm not a climber and didn't recognize many names, the exception being Göran Kropp but only because he's from Sweden. There's a lot of persons being mentioned in the book, and it doesn't help when the author switches between family names and first names.

Besides all the names it's a glimpse into the world of the climbing elite and what they're willing to subject themselves to to reach there goals (in this case the top of Mount Everest).
That looks interesting, even though there appears to be a bit of controversy surrounding the book. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Controversy

Krakauer's recounting of certain aspects of the ill-fated climb has generated considerable criticism, both from the climb's participants and from renowned mountaineers such as Galen Rowell. Much of the disputed material centers on Krakauer's accounting of the actions of Russian climber and guide Anatoli Boukreev. An experienced high-altitude climber and guide for Scott Fischer, Boukreev descended the summit prior to his clients, ostensibly out of concern for their safety and in preparation for potential rescue efforts. Boukreev later mounted repeated solo rescue efforts, saving several lives. In his book, Krakauer acknowledged Boukreev's heroism in saving two climbers' lives, but questions his judgment, however, for his decision to descend before clients, for not using supplementary oxygen, for his choices of gear on the mountain, and for his interaction with clients. Boukreev provides a rebuttal to these allegations in his book, The Climb. All of the clients Boukreev guided on the mountain made it back safely, while Krakauer's expedition mates suffered injury or death.[citation needed]

Galen Rowell criticized Krakauer's account, citing numerous inconsistencies in his narrative while observing that Krakauer was sleeping in his tent while Boukreev was rescuing other climbers. Rowell argued that Boukreev's actions were nothing short of heroic, and his judgment prescient. “...[Boukreev] foresaw problems with clients nearing camp, noted five other guides on the peak Everest, and positioned himself to be rested and hydrated enough to respond to an emergency. His heroism was not a fluke."[citation needed]

The account has also been criticized for not informing the reader that the team were receiving accurate daily weather forecasts and knew about the storm in advance.[4]

In Krakauer's most recent edition[when?] of Into Thin Air, he addresses his critics in a lengthy postscript.[citation needed]
I've downloaded a sample for future consideration.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #16638
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I found the book both terrifying and illuminating, and if there had ever been even a part of me that thought about climbing, this cured it! But a compelling read.
For me it became clear reading this book that elite climbers have a different drive than us mere mortals. To willingly subject oneself to the kinds of hardships they endure and keep pushing is not something the average person would even consider.

They definitely seem to have a much higher tolerance for pain. A tenacity and perseverance that most people doesn't come close to.

Last edited by thinkpad; 05-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #16639
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I think I migh have ordered the same boxet as you have Glad you like it. I'm planning on starting with Pride and Prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Excellent choice
I second that!

Note for Joy736, some Kate Chopin's work can be found on Project Gutenberg.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #16640
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is the highly rated Open Season by C.J. Box.
I learned what a day in the life of a Game Warden entails that's for sure. Also, the general independent, suspicious leave-me-alone portrayal of rural Wyoming residents and hunters was evident throughout the book. I don't know if it is accurate or not. The mystery part was fairly obvious but the author's experience in ranching, hunting and the environmental concerns in Wyoming did add to the overall pleasant informative book. Rated C- [2 stars].

Next read undecided.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #16641
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I'm over half-way through, and it's a brutal book, but beautifully written. I have never read an author so poetically describe a decapitation...
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #16642
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Tom -- This Kindle version includes the postscript. Into Thin Air.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #16643
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Tom -- This Kindle version includes the postscript. Into Thin Air.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #16644
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I found the book both terrifying and illuminating, and if there had ever been even a part of me that thought about climbing, this cured it! But a compelling read.
In my younger days I was an avid climber. This book became 'required reading' for all of us. But I never had the urge to climb Everest. I don't know why. Back then, it was a 2-week trek just to reach Base Camp, and I spent five days camped there, just looking at the approach to climb. (You can't see the summit from Base Camp.) These days you can fly in, and people go there as a sightseeing day trip. But the book sure hit home about the courage and determination of Everest climbers. It was real...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #16645
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad View Post
For me it became clear reading this book that elite climbers have a different drive than us mere mortals. To willingly subject oneself to the kinds of hardships they endure and keep pushing is not something the average person would even consider.

They definitely seem to have a much higher tolerance for pain. A tenacity and perseverance that most people doesn't come close to.
There are other possible explanations.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #16646
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am currently reading Origin in Death by J.D. Robb.

Quote:
Clues are scarce for NYPD detective Eve Dallas. The expert killer of Dr. Wilfrid Icove left behind an immaculate crime scene, and the cosmetic surgeon victim seems to have led a blameless life. Searching for a skeleton in the family closet, Dallas tracks down Icove's offspring, but to no avail: Son, like father, has been murdered.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #16647
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
In my younger days I was an avid climber. This book became 'required reading' for all of us. But I never had the urge to climb Everest. I don't know why. Back then, it was a 2-week trek just to reach Base Camp, and I spent five days camped there, just looking at the approach to climb. (You can't see the summit from Base Camp.) These days you can fly in, and people go there as a sightseeing day trip. But the book sure hit home about the courage and determination of Everest climbers. It was real...

Stitchawl
Was it easier to relate to all the persons/names in the book as a climber? I couldn't really relate other than what was mentioned in the book.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #16648
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Reading Wen Spencer's latest Eight Million Gods. Reading the description for the book, I was only mildly interested, but as usual her writing has captured me and I'm trying to find 5 minute slots in my day to steal time to read. Recommended.
I'll pop it to the top of my list. I agree that her writing is excellent.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #16649
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I am currently reading Soulless by Gail Carriger. I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it, but I will keep going as it seems like something I'd like. Since I like the vampire, supernatural type of thing. I guess we'll see how it goes!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #16650
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I am currently reading Soulless by Gail Carriger. I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it, but I will keep going as it seems like something I'd like. Since I like the vampire, supernatural type of thing. I guess we'll see how it goes!
That is a great series! Stick with it, I think you'll be rewarded.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote