Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 04-01-2022, 04:55 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Re: Kobo — I've never bought an audiobook from Kobo. How do you download them? Can you do so from the Kobo website or do you need a Kobo device or Android device?
You can download audiobooks with Kobo desktop and Kobo Readers that support audiobooks such as the Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 01:54 PM   #32
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have an Android device to test this on, and Libby files on Apple devices appear to be inaccessible.

That said, I'm still using Overdrive. My forays with Libby are just for testing purposes. Using Libby has not affected my ability to use Overdrive. So I suspect you can test Libby yourself without risk to your current Overdrive setup. If you do, I'd be interested in the results.
I'm really, really chicken about trying Libby--I've had too many instances of trying out some program that then makes all kinds of changes that are time-consuming to undo.

Quote:
Re: Kobo — I've never bought an audiobook from Kobo. How do you download them? Can you do so from the Kobo website or do you need a Kobo device or Android device?
It's been a while, but I used the Kobo app on my Android phone--which makes me think there was no way to download directly to my computer. My recollection is that you need to use an older version of that app (I have version 8.2.1); the newer ones wouldn't give you access to the mp3 files. The files were numbered 1, 2, 3, etc., and to play them outside the app, you just needed to add the .mp3 extension.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #33
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm really, really chicken about trying Libby--I've had too many instances of trying out some program that then makes all kinds of changes that are time-consuming to undo.
I understand. Trying Libby did not mess anything up when I tested it and went back to Overdrive, but YMMV.

Quote:
It's been a while, but I used the Kobo app on my Android phone--which makes me think there was no way to download directly to my computer. My recollection is that you need to use an older version of that app (I have version 8.2.1); the newer ones wouldn't give you access to the mp3 files. The files were numbered 1, 2, 3, etc., and to play them outside the app, you just needed to add the .mp3 extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can download audiobooks with Kobo desktop and Kobo Readers that support audiobooks such as the Libra 2.
@JSWolf, are you sure you can download audiobooks with Kobo desktop?

I just went to Kobo Help pages and it says: "Audiobooks cannot be played: in Kobo Desktop ..."

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...ort-audiobooks
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #34
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'm your huckleberry. I tried it just now. Want me to list the reasons I learned to hate it in just a few minutes of messing with it, or just confirm that it is precisely what you fear and worse?
On the plus side, it seemed to uninstall without screwing anything up.

Quote:

That is as I recall it as well. Havent tried it in some time.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm your huckleberry. I tried it just now. Want me to list the reasons I learned to hate it in just a few minutes of messing with it, or just confirm that it is precisely what you fear and worse?
On the plus side, it seemed to uninstall without screwing anything up.
So ... there's really no way to access the mp3 files? No way to play anything outside the app?

I don't know whether to cry or scream.
Advert
Old 04-01-2022, 05:01 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@JSWolf, are you sure you can download audiobooks with Kobo desktop?

I just went to Kobo Help pages and it says: "Audiobooks cannot be played: in Kobo Desktop ..."

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...ort-audiobooks
I thought you could listen to audiobook on your computer. I guess not. That sucks.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So ... there's really no way to access the mp3 files? No way to play anything outside the app?

I don't know whether to cry or scream.
Why do you care about trying Libby? It no longer works. When it did work, you could access the MP3 it downloaded. But Overdrive works and is easier to use.

I tried the Windows version of Libby and it failed to work. It will never work again.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:29 PM   #38
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why do you care about trying Libby? It no longer works. When it did work, you could access the MP3 it downloaded. But Overdrive works and is easier to use.

I tried the Windows version of Libby and it failed to work. It will never work again.
Overdrive is the app that's going away.

Libby is the new app we're going to be stuck with.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:41 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Overdrive is the app that's going away.

Libby is the new app we're going to be stuck with.
I think you've misunderstood. Libby no longer works on Windows. It's only available on the web with your browser and on iOS and Android. Libby DOES NOT WORK with Windows. It's gone from Windows and OS X.

Overdrive still works even though it's no longer supported.

So we have until Overdrive stops working to download the audiobooks to our computers.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #40
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think you've misunderstood. Libby no longer works on Windows. It's only available on the web with your browser and on iOS and Android. Libby DOES NOT WORK with Windows. It's gone from Windows and OS X.

Overdrive still works even though it's no longer supported.

So we have until Overdrive stops working to download the audiobooks to our computers.
No, you've misunderstood. I have only every asked about LATER when we will be FORCED to use only Libby. Your repeatedly telling me that Libby doesn't work on Windows has nothing to do with anything I've asked.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:03 PM   #41
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I'm late to the conversation, but discovered today as I was setting up my new laptop that the install file for Overdrive that I have is from 2014. While it will install, it no longer works, and since it's no longer supported I can't get the update files. If anyone has a relatively current install file, or knows where I can get one, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:07 AM   #42
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I'm all set up and running...thank you so much ApK and CRussel for coming to my rescue!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #43
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Quote:
Libby is now only web based and app based for iOS and Android. But as long as the Overdrive app will still download audiobooks, we are good to go.

If Overdrive was to no longer work, I'd have no idea how to download audiobooks to my laptop.
I read somewhere (perhaps on our library web site) that OverDrive is scheduled for deprecation in 2023. That was one of the reasons they recommended Libby rather than OverDrive.

Update: The formal announcement is on OverDrive's web site: https://resources.overdrive.com/libby-faqs/

For my use (borrowing books from the public library to be read in my Kindle), Libby seems to work fine with one possible exception. The overall user experience is different from OverDrive, but that's common with any upgrade in software. The one exception has to do with how the transition from OverDrive to Libby is handled. They have a provision to port a user's OverDrive 'wishlist' into Libby, but I haven't found a way to port the OverDrive 'history.

That's a serious issue. As someone who has been using OverDrive for several years, I have downloaded and read several hundred books, and I need a week filter out those books when I select future downloads. Libby has a 'timeline' feature that tracks books that it has downloaded, but I need to augment that list with historical data from OverDrive.

Last edited by monophoto; 08-11-2022 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Update
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:35 PM   #44
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
I read somewhere (perhaps on our library web site) that OverDrive is scheduled for deprecation in 2023. That was one of the reasons they recommended Libby rather than OverDrive.

Update: The formal announcement is on OverDrive's web site: https://resources.overdrive.com/libby-faqs/
This sucks for me. I hate needing multiple, inferior, proprietary apps to listen to audiobooks on my phone. I've been very happy listening to all audiobooks with Listen Audiobook
Player and really don't want to change. If Overdrive insists on limiting consumer choice, maybe someone will crack Libby to allow space shifting.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:16 AM   #45
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
... OverDrive is scheduled for deprecation in 2023 ...The formal announcement is on OverDrive's web site: https://resources.overdrive.com/libby-faqs/
Thanks for the update. This is sad, indeed. I've tried the Libby app and did not like the listening experience at all.

Last edited by odamizu; 01-11-2023 at 12:04 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote