Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-29-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
Bookburner
Bookburner
Bookburner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone have a download of Overdrive for PC Windows 10?

Overdive pulled their app for PC Windows (10) in February. I just received a new laptop and can't get the app.
Does anyone still have an app in their download file that I can have? Thank you, Ron
Bookburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:20 AM   #2
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookburner View Post
Overdive pulled their app for PC Windows (10) in February. I just received a new laptop and can't get the app.
Does anyone still have an app in their download file that I can have? Thank you, Ron
I've got something called an ODMediaConsoleSetup.msi Which says it's from overdrive. But it's from 2013, and runs on my Win7. just under 5mb. Dunno whether that will actually find the right files now.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2022, 04:52 AM   #3
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is still the web-based version but otherwise it looks as if they’ve restricted themselves to android and iOS.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:09 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookburner View Post
Here is the link to a ZIP copy of the MSI for Overdrive. It's for Windows and does run on Windows 10. The link is only good for 7 days and then expires.

https://we.tl/t-wQ3Z0SJKAX

P.S. I cannot guarantee that it will work with Overdrive. The app that will work is Libby.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I've noticed for the past few weeks that when I borrow library audiobooks, while the site does give me the option to use Overdrive on my PC (Windows 7), the download is only the odm file; I then have to open my Overdrive and drag the odm file to it to start the download.

(Similar thing is happening lately when I borrow e-books; the download is only the acsm file and I have to open ADE and drag the acsm file to it.)

I don't want to use the Libby app. I download files to my PC and then listen to them on a dedicated mp3 player. I don't know if Libby will allow that.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I've noticed for the past few weeks that when I borrow library audiobooks, while the site does give me the option to use Overdrive on my PC (Windows 7), the download is only the odm file; I then have to open my Overdrive and drag the odm file to it to start the download.

(Similar thing is happening lately when I borrow e-books; the download is only the acsm file and I have to open ADE and drag the acsm file to it.)

I don't want to use the Libby app. I download files to my PC and then listen to them on a dedicated mp3 player. I don't know if Libby will allow that.
I just tested Libby and it does not work with Windows 11. It's no longer supported. But I did install Overdrive and it works to download audiobooks. You will find your audiobook MP3 files in Documents > My Media > MP3 Audiobooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-30-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:

Please give them feedback so they know this feature is still important to people.

Quote:
-What are the plans for downloading audiobooks to a desktop computer using OverDrive for Windows and OverDrive or Mac?

After February 23, 2022, users who already have OverDrive for Windows or OverDrive for Mac can continue using those applications without disruption. However, we will no longer support new downloads of those applications.

As technology continues to evolve and trend toward the use of mobile devices, we don’t plan to build support in Libby for downloading audiobooks to a desktop computer and transferring them to an MP3 player.

Quote:
-Will all OverDrive app users be required to switch to Libby?

Yes, eventually. It’s our goal to have most OverDrive app users migrated to Libby by the end of 2022. We’ll keep you updated about plans and timing for officially retiring the OverDrive app and provide plenty of notice to ensure a smooth transition.

https://resources.overdrive.com/libby-faqs/
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:26 PM   #8
Bookburner
Bookburner
Bookburner began at the beginning.

I can't thank you enough for the link. It is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I downloaded it and it works fine. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Ron
Bookburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:44 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Please give them feedback so they know this feature is still important to people.

https://resources.overdrive.com/libby-faqs/
Thanks. Are you using Libby? When you download to a device, can you access the files to transfer them to use outside the Libby app?

I'm hesitant to try out the Libby app myself for fear the settings will interfere with the Overdrive for Windows I'm happily using now, which I want to continue using as long as I can!
Old 03-30-2022, 06:03 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. Are you using Libby? When you download to a device, can you access the files to transfer them to use outside the Libby app?

I'm hesitant to try out the Libby app myself for fear the settings will interfere with the Overdrive for Windows I'm happily using now, which I want to continue using as long as I can!
Libby no longer works. Well it doesn't work on Windows 11. I cannot say if it still works on Windows 10. Besides, since you are using Overdrive for audiobooks, then stick with it as it's working. It's what I am using.

There is no need for you to use Libby.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Libby no longer works. Well it doesn't work on Windows 11. I cannot say if it still works on Windows 10. Besides, since you are using Overdrive for audiobooks, then stick with it as it's working. It's what I am using.

There is no need for you to use Libby.
There is when they're planning to discontinue it! They've already made it a little bit more difficult to download audiobooks using Overdrive. I'd just like to know if I'm worrying for nothing; I would hate to find out that Libby is like Hoopla, where I have to use a stupid app and listen on my phone.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
There is when they're planning to discontinue it! They've already made it a little bit more difficult to download audiobooks using Overdrive. I'd just like to know if I'm worrying for nothing; I would hate to find out that Libby is like Hoopla, where I have to use a stupid app and listen on my phone.
I don’t mind - in fact, I prefer - using apps to listen to audiobooks on dry land. But a waterproof MP3 player was a gamechanger for me; I can’t imagine swimming without audiobooks now. And if you can no longer download OD books and transfer them, I will be deeply, deeply unhappy. I’ve got OD on a Windows 7 laptop which is pretty shaky; I hope it holds out.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I haven't tried Libby either, but I suspect and fear that's exactly the case. We didn't fight hard enough for space shifting rights.

The idea of needing to install multiple apps for different content, all with their own different features, behaviors, controls, idiosyncrasies, and bugs is repulsive, especially since using my one favorite audiobook player for everything has been working wonderfully for years. When I have occasionally needed to use Hoopla, it sucks the joy out of audiobooks.

Last edited by ApK; 03-30-2022 at 10:26 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:09 AM   #14
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
There is no way to download audiobooks with Libby (see below for clarification). You have to use the Libby app to listen, and the Libby audiobook player is pretty terrible, IMO. It doesn't look like this is going to change, either. So as Catlady says, we're going to have to "use a stupid app" when they finally phase out Overdrive.

However, Libby does provide an option to download .acsm files so that you can download an ebook using ADE. So at least you aren't forced to use Libby to read ebooks, just audiobooks.

ETA: Since there seems to be some misunderstanding further down this thread: There is no Libby desktop app that allows you to download audiobook mp3 files for transfer to an mp3 player. You must listen to audiobooks using the Libby mobile app or Libby browser app. You can download audiobooks to the Libby mobile app for offline listening within the Libby app, but there does not appear to be a sanctioned way to get the offline files out of the mobile device for transfer to another device. There is no download option for the Libby browser app; it appears to be streaming-only.

@Catlady, there is mention of downloading to an SD card on Android devices. Maybe there is hope there: https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6118.htm#aanchor105

Last edited by odamizu; 03-31-2022 at 01:18 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:17 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Libby is now only web based and app based for iOS and Android. But as long as the Overdrive app will still download audiobooks, we are good to go.

If Overdrive was to no longer work, I'd have no idea how to download audiobooks to my laptop.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-31-2022 at 06:19 AM.