Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Reader suitable for spellchecking

I will need to replace my PRS-T1 shortly, because I managed to damage its screen. I am mostly happy with T1, but there I features which I would like - e.g. directory-based e-book management or an integrated light. But I absolutely need the new device to be suitable for spellchecking - specifically, it must allow for quick definition of highlights, taking written notes, as well as free-hand drawing tool. Once the notes are created, I need to quickly browse them, and once I resolved the thing that I needed the note for, I need to be able to quickly delete the note. While T1 has some issues in these departments (e.g. it is very difficult to highlight text on the four bottom lines, because it gets covered by dictionary definition, and it is very difficult to draw in the top-left corner because the draw/erase icons are there), I was even less implessed by Pocketbook 626's performance (e.g. I couldn't find any quick way to delete the notes).

The other feature I need is a system-wide CSS. I don't mind if it is only available as a hack, but I must have it, especially for font definitions (that Pocketbook again - it allows system-wide font definition from the main menu, but only for the regular font, not for italic or bold, and it doesn't allow system-wide definition of the font's size).

The third requirement is that the device must be able to work with a stylus and must support carying the stylus along with the reader. I don't care whether that is done via a special space at the edge of the device or if it is done via the book cover.

The device must be e-ink and it must work as USB mass storage.

All other aspects are secondary. I don't care which file formats are supported, which book shops can be accessed directly, I don't care about WiFi or GSM, I don't care about Android store. Flash memory size should be at least 1 GB available to the user, but other than that, I don't care about it. I do care about the price, but I am willing to pay the premium if the requirements are satisfied better than with a competing cheaper device.

Is there any device better suited to these needs than Sony PRS-T1? Thanks.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

According to Amazon support, no Kindle has the required functionality, though it may get implemented in the future. Waiting for response from Kobo and Pocketbook before I go with another PRS-T1 (or I might risk T2, not sure yet).
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
You can not do free hand drawing/notes in a book in a Kobo. You can add a note to a highlight, but only via the on-screen virtual keyboard, not via a written note.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
pepak
Guru

Pocketbook also say they don't have a device for me. Waiting for a reply for Kobo, then I am buying a PRS T1 again.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
pepak
Guru

Received the answer from Kobo, too. Unfortunately, they didn't reply to any of my questions, instead gave me generic answers (e.g. that Kobo contains 10 embedded fonts). Guess it's back to Sony then. The only question remains, should I return to the T1 which I know well, or risk with T2 or even T3? Although it seems there are no hacks for T3 yet, which would disqualify it on account of no generic*) font support.

*) As in, you don't need to modify an e-book file to get your custom font.
Advert