Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #16
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
About 15% of men (but only about 2% of women) suffer from the type of colour blindness that I have, so it's pretty common. I wish that people who design web sites, etc, would consider the issue more. "NatCh", for example, has it too.
Interesting. I did not know that. I do webdesign, but have never really thought about this. Do you know any good sources for guidelines for developing optimized desigs for the colorblind?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Interesting. I did not know that. I do webdesign, but have never really thought about this. Do you know any good sources for guidelines for developing optimized desigs for the colorblind?
I'm afraid I don't. Sorry!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 06:16 AM   #18
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Wow!

Thanks for all those comeback! I did not want to start a thread that would last for pages and pages like the brown cover - black cover one...

Next time I charge my Cybook I will be less excited about using it and I will be able to leave it on longer.

By the way I had to re-format the SD card, because the cybook froze. SInce then it has been working fine.

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
this is indeed a very important thing to consider. there are many ressources to verify the accessibility of your design to people with various types of colorblindness. some are :

accessibility color wheel :
http://gmazzocato.altervista.org/colorwheel/wheel.php

article with list of 10 tools
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv...f_your_design/

good explanation :
http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/accessibility/color.html

and of course you can go to the source :
Complete List of Web Accessibility Evaluation Tools from W3C.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/complete
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #20
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Bookmarks attack...

And I thought I was so smart... That by following all the tips from the gurus I would be immune to those little problems...

I was wrong, a lesson in humility...

During the day I decided to take a little break and to read a little bit. The cybook suddenly did not remember where I was in the book I was reading... Being smart I decided to create a bookmark. It did not work...

Let's be scientific about this I thought...

1) All my books are on the SD Card, except for the demo books. I tried to create and use bookmarks on the demo books. they were working fine. So I have established that the bookmarks on the SD card do not work and on the Cybook itself they work.

2) The only thing I had done differently is that I used the Auto power off feature. So I just removed the SD card, reformatted it on a reader on a PC. Then I copied and pasted my books on the newly formatted SD card and restarted the whole thing. The bookmarks are now working fine.

3) Now I am letting the Cybook shut itself with the Auto power-off to see if I can duplicate what happened before and to see if my theory is valid...

4) So much for that, the bookmarks still work...

One thing that I saw before I reformatted my SD card is that on the card there was all kind of files with weird characters as name and they all had a size of 0kb.

If it does it again, I will buy another SD card and try it instead of the one supplied by Bookeen.

Any thoughts ????

Georges
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #21
Kitty
Kitty began at the beginning.

Device: Aaahhhhahahahaha! It's heeeee-rrre! ... oh. CyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
... make a copy of the system folder to be able to restore it in case of problems. ...
For the technologically challenged such as moi, would someone please point me in the direction of instructions for doing this?

With respect to Capt. Georges' bookmark posts: Am I correct in understanding the bookmarks on your SD-stored books disappeared when you allowed the unit to auto-power-off, but not when you manually shut it down?

And am I being paranoid to simply reformat the SD before trying to use it at all?

Btw, my unit is currently plugged in, charging up ... and won't be done until I have to go to bed. There are definitely times when having a job and being a responsible adult stinks!
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #22
captaingeorges
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
For the technologically challenged such as moi, would someone please point me in the direction of instructions for doing this?

With respect to Capt. Georges' bookmark posts: Am I correct in understanding the bookmarks on your SD-stored books disappeared when you allowed the unit to auto-power-off, but not when you manually shut it down?

And am I being paranoid to simply reformat the SD before trying to use it at all?

Btw, my unit is currently plugged in, charging up ... and won't be done until I have to go to bed. There are definitely times when having a job and being a responsible adult stinks!
Hi Kitty!

1) When you connect your Cybook to a computer you will see 2 icons appear on it. One for the Cybook Gen3 the other one for the SD Card. If you click on the Cybook Gen3 icon, you will see 4 folders: ebooks, Music, Pictures, System. You simply copy and paste this last folder to your computer to make sure you have a copy of it.

2) I was trying to find an explanation why the bookmarks disappeared, and the only different things I had done was to use the Auto shut-off. But it turned out that after I reformatted the SD card, when I tried to do it again, the bookmarks still worked fine... So I guess that was not the reason.

I am no expert... But I think it might be the card itself. I don't think that reformatting the SD card before using it can do any harm. But I am no Guru... Maybe you should wait the other members of this forum who live on the other side of the big puddle to wake up when we are still in bed and solve this problem for us! They have been very helpful for me

By the way, in spite of these little hiccups, I just love my Cybook.

Regards,

Georges
Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am no expert... But I think it might be the card itself. I don't think that reformatting the SD card before using it can do any harm. But I am no Guru... Maybe you should wait the other members of this forum who live on the other side of the big puddle to wake up when we are still in bed and solve this problem for us! They have been very helpful for me
Yes, the fact that you saw "garbage" files makes me think that the problem lay with the SD card. It perhaps was not correctly formatted, or not properly seated in the slot? You need to press it down BELOW the level of the top of the slot before it properly "locks" into place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #24
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My setup is completely the other way around. I have all my books on the Cybook. It is more than big enough for me. I never had the bookmark problem. With or without the 'auto shut down'. I do have an SD card in the reader. It is a very old 512 Mb one. The only thing I keep there is my dictionary because it takes up to much space in the base memory (27 Mb)

Last night I wanted to lookup a word in a book I was reading and I got the message: "No dictionary for this language installed". That was wierd because 10 minutes before I used it on the same book. After popping out the SD card and re-inserting it, the problem was gone.

So it looks like the slot is a bit flaky. That would be an explanation why only some people have problems but not all the time. Checking the SD card or formatting it in a card reader will 'solve' the problem simply because it was moved.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #25
captaingeorges
Zealot

That is food for thoughts...

One of the first thing I checked when I got the Cybook was how well the card reader worked. In mine, you can really feel it when the card is firmly in. But you never know.

Any way, next time it does this I am going to change the SD card altogether.

I still cannot believe how clear and crisp the screen is. The reading experience is great.

Georges
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #26
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
That is food for thoughts...
Any way, next time it does this I am going to change the SD card altogether.
I think the problem with an ereader is that we always move it around. It bumps in my backpack, it vibrates and things like temperature changes when it goes in and outdoors. There is also no cover over the slot like on a camera. So it is possible that vibrations or dust will haven an effect on the contacts.

Quote:
I still cannot believe how clear and crisp the screen is. The reading experience is great.
Ditto

Last edited by Ortep; 02-29-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote