Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
AZW, MBP ?

In addition to an ACSM problem, I've now got a "can't convert this format" pop-up for one AZW, and one MBP.

I haven't had a chance to work on the ACSM yet, tomorrow I hope, but anyone explain these to me and what to do with them ? (They were kindle freebies picked up from MR Resources etc... so I'm a bit surprised they don't run through Calibre).
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Only one of those (AZW) is actually an ebook. Calibre should be able to convert an AZW file (provided it doesn't have DRM) just fine.

An ACSM file is a tiny authorization file that allows you to download an ebook that is encrypted for use with Adobe Digital Editions... usually an epub or pdf.

An MBP file is a companion file for MOBI (AZW) books that keeps track of info like bookmarks, highlights and stuff.

So basically... don't try to convert ACSM or MBP files. They're not ebooks.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-14-2012 at 06:34 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Only one of those (AZW) is actually an ebook. Calibre should be able to convert an AZW file (provided it doesn't have DRM) just fine.
An ACSM file is a tiny authorization file that allows you to download an ebook that is encrypted for use with Adobe Digital Editions... usually an epub or pdf.
An MBP file is a companion file for MOBI (AZW) books that keeps track of info like bookmarks, highlights and stuff.
So basically... don't try to convert ACSM or MBP files. They're not ebooks.
Ah ha - thanks Diap.

So the ACSM will be in my Adobe p'raps ?
I shall rush and root around....

Oh - and the AZW might need to be checked by some....cleaning apparatus? or somesuch ?
Which my Calibre cleaner isn't doing now ?

[ God, this is being in the CIA and MI6.... ]

And believe or not, I now understand the MBP thing, thanks for that too, and I've acted accordingly.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard

Damnation !
It was in Adobe....

Kind of - I've got the book [re:ACSM) on my reader eventually, but sadly had to go through Adobe / Sony Reader, not Calibre.

Upsets my sense of what's right, somehow.....

That's the first time I've had to do that in a long time.....

I'm not disheartened though, shall poke around a bit more.....
Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes, the ACSM is just how you initially get the ebook downloaded to your Adobe Digital Editions/Sony Reader library. Once that is done you can forget about the ACSM file and do anything you would normally do with any epub or pdf book (you'll find the actual ebook in the "My Digital Editions" editions folder—or wherever the Sony Reader keeps its library).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Carpetmojo,

You asked in a separate thread last week what an ACSM file was, and what you should do with it, and I, and others, gave you a very clear explanation. I am rather puzzled about why you are asking exactly the same question again?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote