Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Anixtra
Anixtra began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question How to get a PRS 700 in Dubai?

My problem is as follows: I live in Dubai in the UAE and there are currently no shops that stock any eReaders - never mind the Sony PRS 700 which I'd love to have!

I'm a voracious reader and was ecstatic when I could get books in e-format, as it meant I could get them so much quicker and they take up almost no space at all!

Of course, the problem now becomes how to read them, as it's increasingly frustrating just reading them on my laptop!

I've tried ordering it from AMAZON.com - they won't deliver it to the Middle East (even though I regularly used to receive books and DVD's ordered from them here!)

My company has its head office in the UK - but, of course, the PRS 700 hasn't been released there yet - they only have the PRS 505 available, so even though I have someone who is happy to buy it for me - it isn't available!

Any suggestions on how I can buy it online and get it sent to me in the UAE?

After that, of course, comes the next hurdle - how to convert my 200 + books from their Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket Reader and eReader formats to be able to read them on my PRS 700 - but that's another episode!
Anixtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/587201-REG/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
worand
worand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Be careful buying imported Sony readers. I got this info from Sony recently:-

"Hello,

I can confirm that the US and Canada have a version of the 700. However I must advise that when you purchase the reader you can only access the online book store in the country of origin. So if you buy from the US you would only be able to access the book store while in the US.

If you would like to check for the reader in a specific country, you may go to sony.net for the web site of the country.

Thank you for contacting Sony Style!
Tony B.
Sony Style Concierge
www.sonystyle.com"

Makes it less useful in Dubai perhaps?

If you do get one doesn't calibre convert all those formats to LRF?

Last edited by worand; 01-30-2009 at 03:35 PM.
worand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Yea... they may think that's the case. But it is not. I know that there are several people in UK that use the US Sony eBook store. I think they mean it is based on the version you install. There is a US/Canada version of the software and a UK version.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not to mention the fact that you don't need to use the Sony eBook Store at all - I never did while I had my Sony Reader. There are lots of other places to buy books which will either work directly on the Sony, or can easily be converted to do so, plus of course, several thousand free Sony books for download right here!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, anixtra and worand. Welcome to MobileRead.

You'll find all the help and info you need here. Keep posting and asking questions.

Enjoy!

PS......In the meantime, check out all the free books available here readable on your computer, and from www.feedbooks.com.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
online buying, prs 700