Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Amtrack to give free rides to writers!

This is so cool. http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/...riters/358332/
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds interesting.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I can definitely see that. I took Amtrak last year to visit my cousin and liked it quite a bit. There's room to stretch out, you have outlets for your phone and computer, and I got to see where all the orange groves are in central Florida.

I must admit, there was something about seeing the world going by that made me feel relaxed, but productive.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I have always loved trains since I was a child and could hear them coming in the distance and then watch them.

I believe I heard them say on the Olympics TV cast from Russia that for either 1 or 2 thousand dollars you could ride the fabulous old Russian line nearly the extent of Russia and some beyond, and that is quite a long way.
I hope meals are included in that price.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I believe I heard them say on the Olympics TV cast from Russia that for either 1 or 2 thousand dollars you could ride the fabulous old Russian line nearly the extent of Russia and some beyond, and that is quite a long way.
I hope meals are included in that price.
Are you referring to the Trans-Siberian Express that runs from Moscow to Beijing? One of the world's great railway journeys.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you referring to the Trans-Siberian Express that runs from Moscow to Beijing?
To Vladivostok, I think.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
To Vladivostok, I think.
It's actually one continuous railway line (the longest one in the world) that goes all the way from Moscow to Beijing. You're right - technically only the part in Russia is the Trans-Siberian line, but it then crosses into China and goes all the way to Beijing. There are quite a few tour operators who offer the whole journey.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
So glad to hear about this! I've never applied for or accepted a residency myself, but a lot of my friends have. They took a financial hit by forgoing their normal work to focus on a sustained piece of writing.

I just wrote a letter of recommendation for a writer friend that helped her to be accepted for a writer's retreat. Free transportation could really be helpful to her once she's ensconced.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's actually one continuous railway line (the longest one in the world) that goes all the way from Moscow to Beijing. You're right - technically only the part in Russia is the Trans-Siberian line, but it then crosses into China and goes all the way to Beijing. There are quite a few tour operators who offer the whole journey.
I know someone who took it and started in St. Petersburg. If I went over there I'd want to see St. Petersburg as a starting point. I've seen Moscow extensively, but not St. Pete.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I know someone who took it and started in St. Petersburg. If I went over there I'd want to see St. Petersburg as a starting point. I've seen Moscow extensively, but not St. Pete.
The St Petersburg to Moscow line is a separate line. You arrive from St Petersburg at Moscow's Leningradsky station (which serves destinations to the West), whereas the Trans-Siberian line leaves from Kazansky station and goes eastward.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
There is a boat that goes from Niigata in Japan to Vladivostok, there you change to the train that will take you to Moscow.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
less useful than fakebook likes, some might say
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #13
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Amtrak loses $500,000,000 per year. There is NO WAY they should be giving tickets away. Maybe they should stop offering free rides, eliminate directors of social media, and stop paying people to post this nonsense on reddit?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Maybe they should learn to run their trains on schedule. I took the train and a 7 hour ride took 14. The staff were pigs about it. I told them I'd ridden trains in India that were more efficient. That shut them up. I read somewhere that the auto industry bought up the rail system in the 70s in order to run it into the ground. I dont know if its true. Certainly my experience with Amtrak was dreadful.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Maybe they should learn to run their trains on schedule. I took the train and a 7 hour ride took 14. The staff were pigs about it. I told them I'd ridden trains in India that were more efficient. That shut them up. I read somewhere that the auto industry bought up the rail system in the 70s in order to run it into the ground. I dont know if its true. Certainly my experience with Amtrak was dreadful.
I have always heard that it is the fact that the freight train companies owns the rail and give priority to freight train that is the cause of all the delays. I like taking the train but do not do it so often when in the US due to the uncertainty in arriving time.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote