Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I appreciate all the suggestions--and I'm jotting many of them down for the times I'm capable of making my own decisions--but keep in mind that my problem isn't finding things I'd like to read, but rather pulling the trigger on something I want to read right now.

The decision to read The Wind-up Bird Chronicle was already made for me; and I'm going to follow through on it.

So while I certainly don't mind if the suggestions continue, keep in mind that if I find myself in another "too many choices for me to make a decision" funk sometime in the future, we'll be right back to a "I'm reading the first thing someone posts that doesn't break the rules" scenario.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Great! Let us know what you think.
I was first thinking of Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, but since you said no series, and that one is supposedly part of series, I recommended the winner
Yeah, that one's better. WUBC went in one eye and out the other.

Unless he's written a sequel recently, HBW+EoW is not part of a series.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks fits most of the criteria, I think. Just don't know if you've read it?
No good. Not available in the US. Well, not at your link.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Forget the rest and go for Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I poked round over at Many Books and found the book by E. Hamilton:
City at World's End
His wife was also a writer, Leigh Brackett. Apparently he didn't get the copyright extended or something and it fell into PD.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Forget the rest and go for Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton.
Read it not long after it was released in the U.S. and enjoyed it immensely, but thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Read it not long after it was released in the U.S. and enjoyed it immensely, but thanks.
I'm reading it and enjoying it so far. Guess I'll have to come up with another suggestion.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Guess I'll have to come up with another suggestion.
Actually, the mission has pretty much been accomplished already. That's what I was trying to explain: first title meeting the criteria ended the game. The choice was made for me. I bought it, downloaded it, and am now reading it.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #25
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Unless he's written a sequel recently, HBW+EoW is not part of a series.
True, it's my wrong. It was Wild Sheep Chase that according to Goodreads is a part of Rat Series, though I remember reading it as a stand alone book.
I guess we'll have to wait and see if DiapDealer likes The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle he is already reading, than at some point he might consider Hard Boiled Wonderland as well.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 AM   #26
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I read Kafka on the Shore not too long ago, it was quite... odd. Yet good, too. I'm not quite sure what genre it would be considered... it's definitely speculative fiction, though it doesn't really fall into what I consider fantasy and it's not science fiction or horror.
I think odd and good would fit into quirky condition
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
No good. Not available in the US. Well, not at your link.
The link takes me straight to the Amazon.com Kindle edition page. Not sure what it does for you.

Quote:
Actually, the mission has pretty much been accomplished already. That's what I was trying to explain: first title meeting the criteria ended the game. The choice was made for me. I bought it, downloaded it, and am now reading it.
You've started something that will now be hard to stop .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The link takes me straight to the Amazon.com Kindle edition page. Not sure what it does for you.
Takes me there too, but it's still not available using my US account.

It might be that logging into Amazon.com via my Australian account would give me a purchase link, as I think Iain Banks is more widely available in ebook form in UK/Australia than he is in the US.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You've started something that will now be hard to stop .
Oh, it doesn't have to stop. Others can put it to good use too! I'm just amused that many people concluded that the guy who had too many choices to decide for himself, needed even more choices to NOT be able to choose from.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #30
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Oh, it doesn't have to stop. Others can put it to good use too! I'm just amused that many people concluded that the guy who had too many choices to decide for himself, needed even more choices to NOT be able to choose from.
I agree. I was the second replier, but the first reply was not there whist I was composing and searching for links for mine. I wouldn't have even posted if I had seen your requirement had been fulfilled .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote