Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Haha, i've always called it the window shade. I think the term started in the early days of android

Yeah, Kindle FreeTime can't be deleted. The best you can do is hold down on it until the option pops up to remove it from the carousel. Then, as long as you don't open the app, it shouldn't come back to the carousel.

Are you sure your wifi was off? The update was pretty large and if you are currently at the latest software update, you must have had wifi on for a while. If its while you were using it, the Kindle would have rebooted on you and you definitely would have noticed!

Either way, as others have said, battery drain over time is normal (wifi or not) and if the battery is all the way dead it won't turn back on until its been plugged into a charger for a few minutes.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Haha, i've always called it the window shade. I think the term started in the early days of android

Yeah, Kindle FreeTime can't be deleted. The best you can do is hold down on it until the option pops up to remove it from the carousel. Then, as long as you don't open the app, it shouldn't come back to the carousel.

Are you sure your wifi was off? The update was pretty large and if you are currently at the latest software update, you must have had wifi on for a while. If its while you were using it, the Kindle would have rebooted on you and you definitely would have noticed!

Either way, as others have said, battery drain over time is normal (wifi or not) and if the battery is all the way dead it won't turn back on until its been plugged into a charger for a few minutes.
Yeah I am sure I didn't leave wifi on. But since I just deregistered and registered again to clean up a mess I made with an App Launcher it came up with the latest firmware. So maybe my KFHD came with it, don't remember. I have had it over a month.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Does anyone know if, when you switch off by holding down the on/off button for an extended period so that the KFHD powers right off, this improves the battery drain situation? Presumably it is not now in sleep mode, and therefore all apps are closed down?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Does anyone know if, when you switch off by holding down the on/off button for an extended period so that the KFHD powers right off, this improves the battery drain situation? Presumably it is not now in sleep mode, and therefore all apps are closed down?
Yes.

Hold the power button for a second or two will do it a menu will appear and ask you what you want to do.

Edit: Even if it is sleeping if you have your wifi on it will keep running and apps like mail will check for new mail. Same with other apps that check for updates, they will do it even if the firehd is only sleeping. Turning it off is off and all apps and radios shut down.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Yes.

Hold the power button for a second or two will do it a menu will appear and ask you what you want to do.

Edit: Even if it is sleeping if you have your wifi on it will keep running and apps like mail will check for new mail. Same with other apps that check for updates, they will do it even if the firehd is only sleeping. Turning it off is off and all apps and radios shut down.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks
Since I force closed Audible my battery life is much much better. Big battery hog.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #22
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Since I force closed Audible my battery life is much much better. Big battery hog.
Yes!

Audible is my biggest gripe with the firehd, the only way to stop the program IS to force close it.

It does not hurt to take a peek at what apps that do not show in notifications but are running in the background and force close the ones that you know should not be running all the time. "officeSuite" comes to mind and others like it.

Just do not clear/wipe the data, or you may have to start all over again with the app.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Can you clarify what you mean by "force close"? Do you just switch off the Kindle by pressing the on/off button for a few seconds, or can you do it individually by application?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
new

Quote:
Can you clarify what you mean by "force close"? Do you just switch off the Kindle by pressing the on/off button for a few seconds, or can you do it individually by application?
I used Advanced Task Killer Free App and it shows you can't close Audible (Kindle Fire HD makes it that way) so you force close it by going into the Audible App and click on the Force Close. I learned alot by this App what was draining my battery. I believe some battery apps also show you which Apps are draining your battery.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I used Advanced Task Killer Free App and it shows you can't close Audible (Kindle Fire HD makes it that way) so you force close it by going into the Audible App and click on the Force Close. I learned alot by this App what was draining my battery. I believe some battery apps also show you which Apps are draining your battery.
Thanks .
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I admit it annoys me that Audible is always running, but I've never noticed any significant difference in battery consumption whether it's running or I force-stop it. So I've learned to ignore it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I admit it annoys me that Audible is always running, but I've never noticed any significant difference in battery consumption whether it's running or I force-stop it. So I've learned to ignore it.
My battery died after a few days, so it was Audible. I suppose if you never ran Audible than it might not drain your battery. But I had. Even though I "closed" it, it still drained. SO I force closed it. Of course if you power down your KFHD and start it up again the Audible shows up once again.

This App I mentioned helps you out figuring which App is draining your battery.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #28
new

The other thing I noticed seemed to eat up battery is Gsam battery (the paid version too) I ended up using HD battery (free version) and it doesn't use the battery as much.

Do turn off notifications for everything except what you want, like for me Screen Dim, HD battery, etc.

My KFHD is good now I don't have to turn off every night to save battery.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Why did you Added the Audible App anyway? Audibooks from Audible.com are under Audiobooks Other Adiobooks go under Music No Apps Neede & No they OFF when you turn the books/music off. No Forced Off needed! You folks need to learn the HD Before you go adding unnessay space wasting apps.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use GSam to see what is really wrong.

Quote:
The other thing I noticed seemed to eat up battery is Gsam battery (the paid version too) I ended up using HD battery (free version) and it doesn't use the battery as much.

Do turn off notifications for everything except what you want, like for me Screen Dim, HD battery, etc.

My KFHD is good now I don't have to turn off every night to save battery.
My GSam Battery Monitor shows that GSam Monitor uses 0.7% of battery energy and Audible uses 0.2% of battery energy. They are NOT what is causing your problem.

My System, Kernel and Appstore use 18% while the Screen uses 50%. WiFi uses 9%. Amazon MP3 uses 4%.

Use GSam to identify what IS your problem.

Even WiFi is not really a big problem. On my KFHD7-32 I get 7 hours of use with WiFi off and 5.5 hours of use with WiFi on. On my PW I get 12 hours with WiFi off and 10 hours with WiFi on. When WiFi is off, I still turn it on for syncing for a moment.

Since WiFi use is really very low, I'm leaving it on all the time now with occasional turning it off in the night when I sleep if I remember it.

If you use G3, then it will be a large battery hog. That will require a different strategy. Even there if you just charge every night, you won't notice any problems.

If you leave WiFi on all the time and Amazon does a firmware upgrade, there will be a large drain since it has to reboot after the upgrade.

I have a hunch your Screen Dim is the culprit. The KFHD7-32 has an AutoBrightness feature which uses almost no power and uses the camera lens to adjust brightness automatically to the amient light. Screen Dim is unnecessary with the KFHD7-32 while may have some use on the KF1G which does not have the AutoBrightness feature.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-28-2012 at 02:23 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote