Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #31
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
..But Amazon is a public company and the board of directors and folks like Jeff Bezos are obligated to "tell the truth" in public...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
...If Bezos can be shown to have materially mis-led the public, he can be sued, he can go to jail, he can be fined heavily and can find himself, and the company, at the receiving end of a very nasty class action suit...
If.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I'll bet there's a way in which these stats are all true, but they're sure to be misleading, it seems to me, because rather than releasing clear information that gives a breakdown of sales etc., they are picking out impressive stats that can be generated from the underlying (secret) numbers. Of course, Amazon aren't the only ones to do this - Apple do this a lot too.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #33
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It happens all the time that law enforcement, and class action suits, make life miserable for executives. Unless anyone has some facts to show why Amazon's very clear, public operating stats are lies, there is no reason to doubt them. People pay heavy fines and go to jail. Ask Martha Stewart and Conrad Black.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I see no reason to doubt Amazon's figures. Also, there's no competitive advantage to releasing precise sales data, quite the opposite.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #35
bauerhjb
Connoisseur
bauerhjb began at the beginning.

Device: laptop, netbook, LG & Nextus tablets - Window 10, 8.1, 7,
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
I don't believe this is factually correct. Once we purchase and download an eBook file this file, like an MP3 of a song is ours to keep and use as we like. There are arguments about the conditions listed on some web sites but the truth is that no court would ever support a proposition that the file is not ours to keep and use as we like.
you might want to read the part of this discussion about not being able to sell/trade/give away ebooks...
CNN: Why can't you 'give' an e-book? (on the news forum)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92184
bauerhjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #36
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhjb View Post
you might want to read the part of this discussion about not being able to sell/trade/give away ebooks...
CNN: Why can't you 'give' an e-book? (on the news forum)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92184
I believe you are confusing the conditions that Amazon is including in it's terms and conditions with the state of the actual law. Amazon can say what they like, that doesn't mean it would stand up in court. My comments stand.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
I
I really like bookshops. I detest buying ebooks, it is just hassle. They never have what you want, in a format my region is allowed to have. And of the things that I wasn't specifically looking for theres way way too much stuff I'm not interested in and no sensible way of filtering it. Bookshops allow you brouse sensibly, and then buy what you see. And they are just nicer all round.
Personally I cannot stand book shops. The choice is small and determined by the shop owner and distributor based on margins. The books are often on their side and I get a sore neck reading the titles, and the current craze for large format books that weigh a ton drives me insane. Good riddance book shops !
Old 08-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #38
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
... and the current craze for large format books that weigh a ton drives me insane. Good riddance book shops !
Sorry about that but it is to make it easier for us aging Baby Boomers with our deteriorating eyesight!

Which is PRECISELY why I love ereaders! Being able to blow up the font is a wonderful feature.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #39
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Correct cfrizz. The younger generation are going with smaller format books and ebooks, while the older generation are going with larger format books and larger typefaces. Heck, it's uncommon to have books in 12 point font, and yet I published my novel in that because I knew a large portion of my readers would be older people who would appreciate the larger font.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #40
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Sorry about that but it is to make it easier for us aging Baby Boomers with our deteriorating eyesight!

Which is PRECISELY why I love ereaders! Being able to blow up the font is a wonderful feature.
Sorry I mis wrote there .. I meant large format in terms of the sheer size of the books.. are they A5 ? (not sure)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
saoir
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Correct cfrizz. The younger generation are going with smaller format books and ebooks, while the older generation are going with larger format books and larger typefaces. Heck, it's uncommon to have books in 12 point font, and yet I published my novel in that because I knew a large portion of my readers would be older people who would appreciate the larger font.
I agree fully Steven. I have recently had to start with reading glasses and the change to eBooks where it will be possible to change the font size is a fantastic advantage.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #42
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Fantastic news!
I, for one, am tired of barn-sized bookstores. Amazon works better at finding a good read anyway. Where do you get your customer reviews and star-counts when you are at BN? A personalized local hobby-level bookstore for people who still want paper is fine, and all that is needed.

Keep in mind, this has nothing to do with how many books are read or written, just a shift in who collects the cash. In this case, the prices will fall and more will be read and written, but with many less suits milking the cow in-between the real participants. Viva the change!
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

Tell me! I normally wear trifocals but I also have a pair of readers for watching TV (including reading e-books on the TV screen) from my bed and another pair for working at the computer (the trifocals work but tilting my head to get the correct pair of lenses is, literally, a pain in the neck). What's fun is walking out the door of the house with the wrong glasses on and wondering briefly why I can't see anything. "Old age ain't for sissies!"
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #44
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
To me that's one of the many advantages to ebooks, being able to increase (or decrease) the font. Some evenings I'll start out at my usual font size and as the evening wears on the font size increases.

I wear progressive lenses but I'll soon have to move to traditional trifocals because the progressives won't be strong enough.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #45
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Anyone notice as the light intensity drops, the harder it is to read?

I'm 63, so far only need bifocals, but if I'm reading at home with a nice bright light I can get by with a smaller font.

But thanks to kindle font hack, i've got font that is easily readable and i can crank up the size as I need it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote