Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 AM   #1
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
ViewSonic GTablet Unboxing

Bought Shel an iPad, I got this...

Most other reviews are pretty much spot-on with this; the ViewSonic out-of-the-box experience leaves a bunch to be desired, but anything made after December 23 of last year should be okay with an update, unless you get an unscrupulous retailer. After deciding maybe they didn't know as much as they thought they did about Android, ViewSonic basically tossed the keys to the open-source community and let them/us have at it. Putting a different ROM on this is a trivial task (by way of comparison, it was actually easier than rooting my Droid X for the first time); once you've done so, you get the full Android experience e.g. the Market (the real one, not the stock Handango one), Flash, etc. The 1024x600 resolution is fine for most uses, it reads books without fuss in Aldiko and Adobe Reader; can't vouch for any other reading software as I haven't tried any. It has USB to connect to a PC but it also has a USB hub so you can connect devices e.g. external hard drives, a keyboard etc.

It's gotten some bad press for the ViewSonic stock UI called Tap 'n' Tap being incorrigible; it got bad enough at first release that Staples pulled them from the shelves entirely. In addition, the screen doesn't have a super-wide range of view but it appears to be that the LEDs are directional because it's not the same in all directions. In any event it's not as bad as some reviewers have made it out to be (I asked the manager at TigerDirect if he was willing to waive the restocking fee if it was that bad and he said yes). The bad press helps anyone interested in buying one though because the price is running at around $389 if you shop around.

For that money you get: ARM Cortex A9 Dual core/Nvidia Tegra 2 (same as in the Xoom), only 512MB RAM but it's DDR2 (again, like the Xoom except the Xoom has 1GB), encodes and decodes video @ 1080p, 10.1 inch screen, front-facing 1.3MP cam, 16GB onboard and a microSD slot (I put a 16GB card in, don't know if a 32GB card will work), Bluetooth, and WiFi 802.11b/g/n. All that and ViewSonic swears it will hold a charge for 8-10 hours. ATM I can't vouch for that since it was off all day today but it read 51% after setting it up for the first time and getting everything together, downloading from the Market, testing YouTube etc. over a few hours so 7-8 sounds reasonable.

If the price holds and you can follow the instructions over at XDA-Developers for installing a custom ROM (which is not as hard as it sounds; one of the steps is to back up everything on the device) this thing will make a screaming deal. If anyone gets one of these and needs assistance drop me a line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-27_19-35-25_609.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	67544   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-27_19-36-06_669.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	67545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-27_19-38-02_985.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	67546   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-28_00-26-59_367.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	67547   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-28_00-27-26_150.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	67548   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-02-28_00-30-00_477.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	67549   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_00-59-56_555.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	67550   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_01-00-05_474.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	67551   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_01-00-36_854.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	67552   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_01-01-05_341.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	67553   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_01-01-38_770.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	67554   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_01-45-52_5.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	67558   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-03-01_01-46-09_238.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	67559  
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very cool thanks for that Chris!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i had one and the view angle's are terrible, worse than the archos 101 - which are extremely bad also. i tried to keep it as a carputer, but the limited angle and low brightness made me take it back.

other than the screen and the stock rom, this thing was a beast! if only it had a better screen i'd have kept it. or if i didn't have the archos 101 to compare side by side i'd have kept it also.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
i had one and the view angle's are terrible, worse than the archos 101 - which are extremely bad also. i tried to keep it as a carputer, but the limited angle and low brightness made me take it back.

other than the screen and the stock rom, this thing was a beast! if only it had a better screen i'd have kept it. or if i didn't have the archos 101 to compare side by side i'd have kept it also.
I was debating making a car dock something-or-other with it since the viewing angle isn't noticeably affected from the short sides. I just don't have room in my truck to mount a 10" device. No loss, I have my DX dash mount.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
i use a coat hanger and rubberbands. the hanger wraps around the console and i bent it a bit to hold the tablet in place. the rubber bands hold the top corners to keep it from sliding.

it looks crappy, but it's free and works, lol.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
i use a coat hanger and rubberbands. the hanger wraps around the console and i bent it a bit to hold the tablet in place. the rubber bands hold the top corners to keep it from sliding.

Good for you!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:

I'm all for free or cheap and works. Did something similar for the iPad, bought a three dollar plate easel to hold it in landscape (works for portrait too, bonus), rather than the thirty dollar tablet stand the guy tried to sell me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote