Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
VósMicêSama
VósMicêSama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Smile Is there any way to enable 'report content error' and 'share' option on ebook?

Today I finished compiling a web novel into a ebook using a form to easily add new chapters. The problem is for being a web novel is normal containing many writing errors. So, i want a mode to enable and use the 'report content error' to send the reports to my e-mail and enable the 'share' option, cause is

I tryed to find the code inside a book that has this options enabled, but I found nothing... tryed look for "amazon, report, error, send, share..."

Anyone know how to do it?

[EDIT]
I want to convert it to .MOBI and use on Kindle.

Last edited by VósMicêSama; 11-03-2016 at 01:43 PM.
VósMicêSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:26 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VósMicêSama View Post
Today I finished compiling a web novel into a ebook using a form to easily add new chapters. The problem is for being a web novel is normal containing many writing errors. So, i want a mode to enable and use the 'report content error' to send the reports to my e-mail and enable the 'share' option, cause is

I tryed to find the code inside a book that has this options enabled, but I found nothing... tryed look for "amazon, report, error, send, share..."

Anyone know how to do it?

[EDIT]
I want to convert it to .MOBI and use on Kindle.
That coding is not available to you. If the reader wishes to report content errors to Amazon, s/he will have to use the feature on the book's Amazon sales page.

If you mean, you want to enable some magical email pop-up thingy, so taht your readers--those who paid to buy your book--can act as your proofreaders--that doesn't exist, either. The best you can do is put your email address in the book, so that they can send you their list. I'd also point out--and it AMAZES me that people constantly forget this--there are MILLIONS of eReaders that do. not. have. email. or browsers. built. in. They are JUST eReaders, no bells and whistles.

ALSO--as a word of caution and advice--you should check the book over very, very carefully, and eliminate EVERY error that you can, before you publish it. Amazon takes a very dim view of mistakes. They are not your critique group or your writing group. They are not like Wattpad, where you put up your unfinished work and gain feedback. If enough readers report mistakes to them, they will remove your book from sale until you fix it. AND, they will post a message on the book's sales page, for the entire world to see, that the book was so full of mistakes that they have removed it from sale until it is brought up to a more professional standard.

Feel free to disbelieve me if you wish, but I would strongly recommend that you research this before you knowingly publish a book that is full of mistakes.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
VósMicêSama

I don't want to send it to amazon, cause is just a web novel. I simply need the code to enable the 'report content error' and 'share' option cause other fans could report errors and help me to create a better work to other future fans.

I want something magical like:
Old 11-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is a feature of the Kindle reader software, not the ebook.

Which begs the question, if you are asking about a feature of Kindle software, why are you posting in the EPUB format subforum?

Either way, the "magical" solution (magical solutions rarely exist) is to develop an alternative firmware for the Kindle, or at least a portion thereof. You could actually do it via a custom ACX, dsmid has written documentation on how to develop custom ACX widgets...
Of course, it also requires every fan to jailbreak their Kindle.
And running a server to collect that information.

The Facebook sharing at least is easier, there is actually an option in calibre's MOBI/AZW3 conversion dialog to enable that. Again, it isn't part of the book, it is part of the Kindle... but it is activated for books which have a mobi-asin identifier like Amazon purchases have.

Are you beginning to see how not-easy this is?

It would make a lot more sense to do something perverted with EPUB3 (which will only work on ereaders which support EPUB3, which means you are targeting tablets, or maybe the Kobo) involving a lot of javascript... to which I can only say that ebooks are not meant to contain the ereader logic and/or phone home. (Can you tell I disapprove of EPUB3? )

At a certain point you have to ask yourself whether it makes more sense to implement error reporting inside your own web novel reading app.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't want to send it to amazon, cause is just a web novel. I simply need the code to enable the 'report content error' and 'share' option cause other fans could report errors and help me to create a better work to other future fans.
Yes, I addressed that, as well. If you re-read what I wrote, I replied both about sending erroneous/bad content to Amazon, AND to you. I responded about the "to you" part in my second paragraph.

Quote:
I want something magical like:

This is not doable. As I said the first time, you can put your own email address someplace in the book, and ask your fans to email you. Or send you errors, etc.

If you want to share quotes from emails on Facebook, you'll have to do that the old-fashioned way. Get the email, copy the quote, paste it into a FB post.

Of course, if you sell your book ON Amazon, your readers will be able to do that, without your help. Of course, they can also post something saying that they hate it, too. That's the rub.

So, yes, AMAZON has some limited social media sharing enabled. YOU are not able to create that outside of what they already have available for books for sale on their site.

n.b.: not all eBooks for sale on Amazon have social media sharing and BYG functionality. Although it's quite widespread now, it is still enabled at AMAZON'S discretion, solely.

Hitch
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would say that it is assuredly not normal to have "many writing errors" in a book, no matter how it's published. It's a sign of a poor author who thinks that quantity is better than quality. Always, always have your work proofread by someone other than you before publishing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #7
VósMicêSama

I thought: Hamlet has an X code in and it makes my kindle enable the options, even offline. If I put this code in my ebook, I could report errors, even if at least can only be sent to the Amazon and there the report is ignored because it is not from a registered book.
Well, i tryed.

About that mobi-asin identifier, can i create a personal(random) and enable at least this option or when trying to share Amazon takes it as a error because hasn't that book on database?
I am considering the chance of kindle connect directly to Facebook without the approval of the Amazon.
VósMicêSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would say that it is assuredly not normal to have "many writing errors" in a book, no matter how it's published. It's a sign of a poor author who thinks that quantity is better than quality. Always, always have your work proofread by someone other than you before publishing.
Yes, thank you, Harry. I had meant to mention that, but I'd also hoped that my clarification about what happens, when Amazon receives a LOT of notifications about errors, would be sufficient. Alas, poor Hamlet...

Quote:
I thought: Hamlet has an X code in and it makes my kindle enable the options, even offline. If I put this code in my ebook, I could report errors, even if at least can only be sent to the Amazon and there the report is ignored because it is not from a registered book.
Well, i tryed.
I'm having some trouble understanding you, but if you are saying that you understand that Amazon does this, not you, good. And, no, there isn't an Amazon proofing bureau email address that you could use as some sort of way to get a report that Amazon would "ignore," using THEIR bandwidth and THEIR devices and THEIR proprietary firmware.

Quote:
About that mobi-asin identifier, can i create a personal(random) and enable at least this option or when trying to share Amazon takes it as a error because hasn't that book on database?
I am considering the chance of kindle connect directly to Facebook without the approval of the Amazon.
NO, you cannot. I mean, sure, you could create a fake ASIN, but for what purpose? What would happen? There wouldn't be a link, and that means that Amazon--ONLY--would receive this "fake" error report. And how would the people GET the book?

I don't think you're thinking this through. And I have NO idea what your sentence about Facebook means. No, of course the book itself isn't going to connect directly to Facebook, without Amazon enabling that functionality, which happens--please pay attention--in the "publishing workflow." That means that you've created your book, uploaded it, and put it on SALE at Amazon. That's how it's done.

And if you get a ton of replies, about errors in the book--do you really want that to go to FACEBOOK? Where god and everyone could see that your book was mistake-ridden?

I think that you should consider putting your book up on Wattpad, first. That's a forum/website for new authors. You can put your book up, and the readers will report your errors to you, make comments, etc. It's a bit like a critique group. If you are youngish, you'll fit right in, as the majority of Wattpad users are youthful.

Good luck. I cannot emphasize enough that EXPECTING that you will have "a lot" of errors is a very poor way to publish a book.

Hitch
Old 11-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There a Paranoid people like myself who do not give out e-mail addresses to every tom, dick and harry Author or others
I get enough SPAM with phish or malware as it is .
I am willing to report to someone I already have an account (like Amazon) with and a clear Privacy statement (and qualified anti hack staffing to protect it) of what it WILL NOT be used for.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There a Paranoid people like myself who do not give out e-mail addresses to every tom, dick and harry Author or others
I get enough SPAM with phish or malware as it is .
I am willing to report to someone I already have an account (like Amazon) with and a clear Privacy statement (and qualified anti hack staffing to protect it) of what it WILL NOT be used for.
Yes, of course. That, too.

I'm frequently amazed at the comments by authors (on the KDP forum, etc.) asking if they can get the list of names and email addies from Amazon of their buyers. Hell, if Amazon did that, I'd be one mad kitten.

I genuinely believe that Wattpad or another critique environment is what the OP needs--not trying to figure out bizarre ways around the, well, Amazon environment.

My $.02, FWIW.

Hitch
Old 11-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, of course. That, too.

I'm frequently amazed at the comments by authors (on the KDP forum, etc.) asking if they can get the list of names and email addies from Amazon of their buyers. Hell, if Amazon did that, I'd be one mad kitten.
Sorry Hitch, I hate to be the messenger on this one, but if you have a sellers account with Amazon then you DO get access to a bunch of info on who the buyer is... address, phone number, email, etc.

That info is SUPPOSED to be used strictly for sending the buyer the item they purchased and your seller account can be suspended/cancelled if you abuse that policy. AND the email address is an Amazon address that forwards messages to the buyer's real email so there is some accountability... and the buyer doesn't get spammed.

FWIW...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Sorry Hitch, I hate to be the messenger on this one, but if you have a sellers account with Amazon then you DO get access to a bunch of info on who the buyer is... address, phone number, email, etc.
Obviously you get the address if you're selling a physical product, because you can't post the item to them without it. You don't get a phone number (at least not on Amazon UK).

None of that applies to ebooks, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Obviously you get the address if you're selling a physical product, because you can't post the item to them without it. You don't get a phone number (at least not on Amazon UK).

You definitely get a phone number. Have you tried downloading order reports lately? Not sure about ebooks as I haven't sold any of those. But I would be surprised concerned if the same info was not provided on your order downloads (as ebooks are considered orders, just delivered electronically instead of via the internetz). How else would you get verification of sales...and make sure Amazon is sending you the correct amount of money? I certainly wouldn't trust Amazon to just give me the right amount out of the goodness of their hearts....plus there's all kinds of laws about business records, etc.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

That info is SUPPOSED to be used strictly for sending the buyer the item they purchased and your seller account can be suspended/cancelled if you abuse that policy. AND the email address is an Amazon address that forwards messages to the buyer's real email so there is some accountability... and the buyer doesn't get spammed.

FWIW...
Yes, of course, I know that. It's because that seller isn't having AMAZON do the fulfillment, they are. I mean...how else would you get your stuff?

But as Harry has already said, that doesn't pertain to KBooks, or even new books that are fulfilled by the Zon. Only used books get your info.

Quote:

Right.

Quote:
You definitely get a phone number. Have you tried downloading order reports lately? Not sure about ebooks as I haven't sold any of those. But I would be surprised concerned if the same info was not provided on your order downloads (as ebooks are considered orders, just delivered electronically instead of via the internetz). How else would you get verification of sales...and make sure Amazon is sending you the correct amount of money? I certainly wouldn't trust Amazon to just give me the right amount out of the goodness of their hearts....plus there's all kinds of laws about business records, etc.
I don't have order reports, as I'm not a publisher/author. Ize just de bookmaker, mon.

And I have to say...if buying books on Amazon entailed my info being given out, that would be the end of my buying books there, regardless of all the considerations. With what I've seen, on the KDP fora, with authors pretty much stalking readers AND reviewers, nooooooooo, thanks. Not for this girl. Ixnay. NO.

I buy a lot of physical products from the 'Zon, and many are not Zon-fulfilled. I am never harassed or spammed by those sellers. I can live with that (although, who knows if they are reselling my info? I suspect that DOES occur). BUT, I've been spammed plenty by authors. From my info at NetGalley, for example. I just had someone reach out to me, to request a review on a book I purportedly downloaded. (The purportedly is another story, but...) Lord, can you IMAGINE what would happen to those of us with hefty reading appetites?

Noooooooooooo, thank you.

Hitch

Tags
report content error, share