Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #31
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
1 minute per page change? What is the real point then? Anything I could think of using this for an LCD would probably be just as good.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #32
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
oh, and wth is up with 1024x768 on the 12" screen??? half the point of eink is the crystal-clear sharpness. We should have 1600x1200 (ie, to keep it the same DPI as the Sony Reader)! xvga... bah, what a joke.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #33
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Actually, the dollar-to-yen rate roughly sticks around 115 yen to 1 dollar. Course even at this rate and for a lot of ten, that still puts it at ~$1,370 for the A5 and ~$2,283 for the A4. Still well outta my price range, but man they look super sweet! Can't wait to see these puppies in person, maybe I'll have to check their showroom and see if they have any demos.

Thanks for posting pics/details!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #34
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
And here some more photos (attached).

Official prices:
A5 type: 1,575,000 Yen
A4 type: 2,625,000 Yen
Hi everyone I'm a newcomer from Italy,pardon my english(I hope im writing readable stuff).

Just a few calculations : 1,575,00 yen = 10,000 euros for ten A5 prototypes . This gadget seems to me rather unconvincing : windows and refresh times, but the price outlook seems promising.
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think the one minute per page was an estimate at how long they think the battery will last, based on someone changing pages at once per minute, not a refresh rate. At least, that was how I interpreted what was written.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 AM   #36
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
I think the one minute per page was an estimate at how long they think the battery will last, based on someone changing pages at once per minute, not a refresh rate. At least, that was how I interpreted what was written.
Yes, I think this is correct. I found two more images via TechOn, who also said that the per minute spec refers to the battery life time. Screen redrawing takes in fact 2.3s for eight colors and 10s for 4096 colors, and they are working on improving it (commercial goal is 1s for eight colors). (Oops, I saw Alex had the information already in his first post).

Some more details:
  • Battery size: 1,600 mAh
  • Contrast ratio: 4:1 with a reflectivity of 30%.
  • Formats: JPG, PDF, Word, Excel, HTML (Webbrowser)
  • A dedicated website will be launched for the FLEPia to allow for content distribution of newspapers, magazines, books, etc.
  • Target price for the consumer (!) editions: A5: ¥39,800 ($335), A4: ¥60,000 ($505).
  • Planned sales: 1000 sample units in 2007 (launch in October 2007), 10000-20000 (including commercial models) in 2008
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flepia1.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	3274   Click image for larger version

Name:	flepia2a5.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	3275  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #37
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Wow. Those will be very competitive prices.

A friend of mine is in Japan right now working with Fujitsu on an unrelated technical problem (high-end servers, nothing to do with consumer electronics). We don't know yet if any of the people he'll be working with at Fujitsu will know anything about the FLEPia, but he's said he would ask around. I'll post if we hear anything interesting.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #38
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
10000-20000 in 2008? Maybe the prices will drop more with a higher production rate. Still at those prices, and if they can get the 8 color down to 1s, they might have something; though with the supported formats maybe they're gearing this more towards the corporate/business user? Then again, what options are their for MS Windows CE5?
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That is very good news, indeed!

Has anyone seen a mention of whether it will have any sort of stylus type input function?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #40
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A4, HTML, colo(u)r... Wow! $505.00 Great!
Where do I sign up!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #41
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
  • Features: Touch panel, scroll button, six function buttons
I assume it has stylus input given that it has a touch panel
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe someday I'll learn to read more carefully.

Thanks TadW.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #43
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Maybe someday I'll learn to read more carefully.
Nice smily, Nat I'd like to add it here. How would you call it? *smack* ?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #44
Wizard-mag
Enthusiast
Wizard-mag began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Some more details:
  • Battery size: 1,600 mAh
  • Contrast ratio: 4:1 with a reflectivity of 30%.
  • Formats: JPG, PDF, Word, Excel, HTML (Webbrowser)
  • A dedicated website will be launched for the FLEPia to allow for content distribution of newspapers, magazines, books, etc.
  • Target price for the consumer (!) editions: A5: ¥39,800 ($335), A4: ¥60,000 ($505).
  • Planned sales: 1000 sample units in 2007 (launch in October 2007), 10000-20000 (including commercial models) in 2008
If this is true, it will be a true heaven. The device by it's parameters is almost exactly what I am looking for.

However, I would doubt the planned sales figure, because the target segment of the market is very unclear - particularly for the A4 version. They are definitely not aiming it at e-books since (in my opinion) majority of the readers would consider it too big for that purpose.

Then, as it was said previously, they could aim more at the business customers. But since I think the core selling point of this device is still going to be EInk display, which for most of the business people probably won't be a killer, that also does not quite add up to me.

Finally, I can think of the academic sector and students generally, which looks suitable to me, but the question here transforms to whether there is so much money to be made in this sector.
Wizard-mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #45
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Nice smily, Nat I'd like to add it here. How would you call it? *smack* ?
I guess I'd call it "smack" "head smack" or maybe "D'oh!"

If you add it to the list, I won't have to go hunting for it on web next time I want it.