Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #46
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard-mag
If this is true, it will be a true heaven. The device by it's parameters is almost exactly what I am looking for.

However, I would doubt the planned sales figure, because the target segment of the market is very unclear - particularly for the A4 version. They are definitely not aiming it at e-books since (in my opinion) majority of the readers would consider it too big for that purpose.

Then, as it was said previously, they could aim more at the business customers. But since I think the core selling point of this device is still going to be EInk display, which for most of the business people probably won't be a killer, that also does not quite add up to me.

Finally, I can think of the academic sector and students generally, which looks suitable to me, but the question here transforms to whether there is so much money to be made in this sector.
There's a lot of money bouncing around college campuses these days, iPods, laptops, PSPs, etc.

Don't forget the professors themselves -- my wife's finishing her PhD in English Lit. and she'd love to be able to accept papers, mark them up, and then return them -- all electronically. Among other things it'd allow her to keep copies of the papers along with her notes, should there ever be a question about anything.

Then there's the segment most folks seem to forget: Lawyers. They've got the bucks (and there are certainly enough of them out there), they handle absolutely enormous numbers of documents, most of which (according to a lawyer friend of mine) come to them over e-mail as PDF files in the first place. They don't need to keep most of them apparently, but they do have to read them -- they'd probably save the price of such a device in printing costs alone in a week or so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #47
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I guess I'd call it "smack" "head smack" or maybe "D'oh!"

If you add it to the list, I won't have to go hunting for it on web next time I want it.
Added... as : smack : (without the spaces after and before the colon).

Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sweet!

had to try it out you know
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 PM   #49
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
That A4 would be great for what I use it for. Sucks that it's Windows CE...I may be ready to move on from my iLiad within a year. That's a really good looking device.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #50
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
No way would I get a WinCE machine, but I'm hoping this will drive the market forward.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #51
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Phenominal price! Let's hope it actually sticks there, what a deal! Of course many of these devices tend to get absorbed into the economy and you never see them due to their scarcity; case in point, you cannot find a Librie anymore and not many people know what they are/were. That's the first thing I went looking for last year before the Reader came out, I even went to the tech-mecca of Akihabara and nobody had a clue as to what I was talking about (even showed them the Sony website). When I did find someone who had a clue, they said I'd probably need to go to Osaka to find one; which wasn't worth the trip.

Here's to hoping they deliver on their promises, I'll be first in line for one of those sweet A5's (grab an A4 if I have to)! Could do without all that jazz in it, as long as it can display PDF's properly or have a good convertor. With that 1600mAH battery, it's sure to have a decent life.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 AM   #52
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It´s the price of the prototype .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #53
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
No way would I get a WinCE machine, but I'm hoping this will drive the market forward.
I agree. I also fear that the system will be a closed one : reading between the lines it's probable that you'll download only content from the dedicated site....
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:41 AM   #54
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by clabot451
I agree. I also fear that the system will be a closed one : reading between the lines it's probable that you'll download only content from the dedicated site....
Well, that would be the same what Sony is doing right now, wouldn't it?
Actually, I don't think that a normal WindowsCE would be a problem. There are a lot of readers around for Windows Mobile for non-DRM books, and if Mobipocket will run on it, it will not really be closed either, will it? And there is the MS Lit reader for the DRM lit files. Well, one could consider ALL DRM books a closed system somehow...
Anyway, what would be the advantage of any other OS over Windos Mobile, in your opinion?

Just my 2 cents.

Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #55
clabot451
clabot451 began at the beginning.

Device: nintendods - motofonef3 - samsungz560
Yes you're right about drm ! As you may have suspected I'm totally against drm and closed systems because I see them as a serious limitation of freedom.
I want a device that allows to read a large variety of content from a large variety of sources.
About windows mobile os , well I work on a windows 2000 equipped pc, I'm writing on a windows xp system , my girlfriend uses a notebook and a smartphone both with that omnipresent branded os, so if I can use an electronic gadget windows free I feel a little better.
Linux os seems to be much more flexible and less closed than windows,just my opinion(I used to work on a linux system before management opted for windows). Bye
clabot451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 AM   #56
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack
It´s the price of the prototype .
Actually, I was referring to the quoted prices that are going to be targeted at us consumers, not the previously mentioned (and higher) prototype/sample pricing scheme (which wasn't really a good deal IMHO).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #57
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Windows (any flavor) is buggy and insecure, and I prefer not to use it. Just my personal preference.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #58
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimert
Well, that would be the same what Sony is doing right now, wouldn't it?
That's somewhat debatable -- the Sony Reader runs a Linux OS, but getting to the OS is evidently less than totally straightforward ....
Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #59
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
That's somewhat debatable -- the Sony Reader runs a Linux OS, but getting to the OS is evidently less than totally straightforward ....
... exactly, which is a pity. With envy I look over to the iLiad crowd who (mainly thanks to Adam B.) enjoys yummy working Linux ports making their device even more useful. When will the Reader open up?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist

I don't know if they're actively trying to stop us, exactly, but they're not exactly throwing the doors wide open either, are they?