Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
ballast
Enthusiast
ballast is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Request: some new 'editing' features

I love Calibre. But I am in the process of standardizing 3000+ Calibre entries from my ebook library and a couple of tools would make life much easier.

I am making all my titles & Authors mixed case... so I have to re-type many of them. Any chance of getting a button (for title & author) which does a 'convert to mixed case'? (i.e. First letter of each word in Caps, the rest in lower case)

Along the same line, when I convert the Author to mixed case and then hit the Author Sort entry button, it does not switch to lower case if the only change was in the Case. I fix it by adding a single new character to the author... do the author sort and then delete the extra character form both (a pain, but it works) It would be nice if the button worked even if the entries are the same except for case.

I have a lot of entries with author as LastName, FirstName. A function would be nice to reverse this.
ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
me too slthough I have fixed most of mine
The change case option is nice, but you do have to trick it a lot by adding a character, saving it and then redo it deleting the character as it does not change the filename on disk or even in memory. Just in the list box.
For example if I use change case on an author and then hit the little arrow for author sort the author sort is in the original case.
If I rename a file called WHAT to What when I save it and open the folder, the file is still named WHAT, where if I change the name by typing it is then renamed in the folder.

And ditto on the last name first name

Regards
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast View Post
I love Calibre. But I am in the process of standardizing 3000+ Calibre entries from my ebook library and a couple of tools would make life much easier.
It is already there
Right click. Change case, Select "Title case" (fix the "xyz'S" mess-up if apostrophe).
Hint the same works for Author, Series fields
Quote:
I am making all my titles & Authors mixed case... so I have to re-type many of them. Any chance of getting a button (for title & author) which does a 'convert to mixed case'? (i.e. First letter of each word in Caps, the rest in lower case)
Fix one, then highlight ALL that need to be the same.
Click "Edit Metadata" (now in bulk mode)
Select the correct author from the pull-down.
be sure to tick the author sort box.
OK

Quote:
Along the same line, when I convert the Author to mixed case and then hit the Author Sort entry button, it does not switch to lower case if the only change was in the Case. I fix it by adding a single new character to the author... do the author sort and then delete the extra character form both (a pain, but it works) It would be nice if the button worked even if the entries are the same except for case.

I have a lot of entries with author as LastName, FirstName. A function would be nice to reverse this.
That one is only available on import. See second answer solution

BTW The filename not changing case is a Windows/DOS thing... case insensitive file names. (but you are not supposed to be peeking under the skirts anyhow )

Last edited by theducks; 07-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@theducks

Quote:
BTW The filename not changing case is a Windows/DOS thing... case insensitive file names. (but you are not supposed to be peeking under the skirts anyhow )
I only peeked under the skirts whenI saw the book had the old upper case name in my ereader and I used the calibre function(s) provided to do it.

It may be a Dos/Windows function but why does Dos/Windows(if that is the case) rename the file name correctly when I type it in in either the edit metadata or GUI? I can't see Windows/DOS differentiating or even being aware. In my experience usually a variable is set (often called dirty) which tells the main program that a change has been made.

I admire Calibre and it's Developer and his co-developers and supporters(of which I am one) etc, but find a bit of disparity between the open source and multi function/open mindset attitude and the blackbox/condescending/don't peek approach.
It is like giving a chainsaw operator a fork and telling them not to use it in case they stab themselves in the chin. Why provide the functionality and belittle those who use it.

Calibre users are in one way a small community and discouraging learning an experimentation may make it easier for those who see the same old questions but does not necessarily return long term benefits and growth.

Not meaning to be offensive here and hopefully I wasn't
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
@theducks

I only peeked under the skirts whenI saw the book had the old upper case name in my ereader and I used the calibre function(s) provided to do it.

It may be a Dos/Windows function but why does Dos/Windows(if that is the case) rename the file name correctly when I type it in in either the edit metadata or GUI? I can't see Windows/DOS differentiating or even being aware. In my experience usually a variable is set (often called dirty) which tells the main program that a change has been made.

I admire Calibre and it's Developer and his co-developers and supporters(of which I am one) etc, but find a bit of disparity between the open source and multi function/open mindset attitude and the blackbox/condescending/don't peek approach.
It is like giving a chainsaw operator a fork and telling them not to use it in case they stab themselves in the chin. Why provide the functionality and belittle those who use it.

Calibre users are in one way a small community and discouraging learning an experimentation may make it easier for those who see the same old questions but does not necessarily return long term benefits and growth.

Not meaning to be offensive here and hopefully I wasn't
Helen
You half answered your own question
The Metadata is now correct, then it adjusts the file name , but nothing happens if all that changed is the case, Because there is no difference as far as Win/DOS is concerned .
Now, if you ran Linux, case is sensitive and changes (Beware, the Multi-boot. I really screwed the works checking the integrity of my WIN Calibre Library...The case was all wrong to Linux
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
If you physically change the name it will change the folder/file name. If you have a file name in all caps, after changing the case, dropping the last letter, then re-adding the the last letter will change the case of the file name under the hood.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote