Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #106
kitsunebi
kitsunebi began at the beginning.

Success

Please (continue to) ignore my two previous posts. I was able to install PDFrasterFarian successfully and am delighted by its effectiveness. I can finally read all my Google books! Outstanding program.
kitsunebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #107
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
Question Please fill me in!

What did you do to get the program to work? Thx, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #108
jthunt11
jthunt11 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You will want to move the folder that PDFrasterFarian is in to somewhere you are going to keep it. (I put it under c:\program files\ebook\ ). When you have it there, double click on the install.cmd, follow the prompts, and thats it.

Now just right click on the PDF file you want to convert and you will see a PDFrasterFarian option.
jthunt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #109
kitsunebi
kitsunebi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9
What did you do to get the program to work? Thx, Joe
I did two things: (a) I re-downloaded the program and (b) I temporarily turned off my computer's firewall and then reinstalled it. I hadn't turned off my firewall before.
kitsunebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #110
TND
TJ
TND began at the beginning.

Hangs after 2 pages

Humm.. I seem to be having a weird problem. Proggy hangs after the first 2 pages.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Any fixes?
TND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 AM   #111
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
ok, check out version 2.2.0

NEW:

+better image quality (sharper and higher contrast, but a bit less smooth)

+no more AutoImager (i wrote my own dilate filter)

+installation/right-click menu now not necessary. Just double-click "PDFrasterFarian.cmd" and use the regular Windows dialog box to choose a PDF to open and a filename to save.

+conversion is ~20% faster

+"promptless" support (can be called from a batch script without user input... post if you'd like more details)

I really hope this fixes the problems people had getting PDFrasterFarian to work and also offers good improvement for the older users. The interface in 2.2 is still text-based, but i'm working on 3.0 with a gui with layout manipulation, manual cropping, folders of images, batched conversions, etc.

Note: .NET Framework 2.0 is now required (hey... it's not as bad as Java)

Last edited by alex_d; 02-27-2007 at 12:21 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 AM   #112
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sweet! This is nice, I'll have to give it a whirl and compare it with previous runs in your earlier version. Must've been a bugger to write your own filter to apply (a friend of mine did one with a stego-detection program he wrote, but it was done it Java... I think). Thanks Alex!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #113
RTbar
RTbar began at the beginning.

Mine goes to pages into the process and then the dilater says it has an error and must close. when I try to use the right click, it works, but makes a 2kb file that is unreadable
RTbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #114
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTbar
Mine goes to pages into the process and then the dilater says it has an error and must close. when I try to use the right click, it works, but makes a 2kb file that is unreadable
When I run it, on a 16 page PDF, it gives no errors put produces the same size (2kb) file. The file, with .PDF extension, is not appealing to Acrobat. The first letters are "L R F è þ4 ", rather than the "%PDF-1.5 %âãÏÓ" you might expect.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #115
Dave Qua
Dave Qua began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500
I seem to have a similar problem. Appears to read in the pdf file OK but then tells me that Dilate has stopped working. I'm running Vista Ultimate and have gor .Net framework installed. The prog runs fine on my other computer running XP so I guess it is an operating system problem. I've included the infor that appears after the prog has stopped working in case it helps.
======================
...Creating EPS file from PDF page
...Performing autocropping (this step may take several minutes)
...Rastering PNG file from EPS file (this step may take several minutes)
...Running PNG file through Dilation and Shrink filters

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembl
y 'imageManip, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of
its dependencies. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side c
onfiguration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
File name: 'imageManip, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' -
--> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): The application ha
s failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please se
e the application event log for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1
)
at Dilate.Program.Dilate(Bitmap bitmap)
at Dilate.Program.Main(String[] args)

...Running PNG file through Sharpening filter
convert.exe: unable to open image `C:\PDFrasterFarian 2.2.0\\temp\stage6\0002':
No such file or directory.
convert.exe: missing an image filename `C:\PDFrasterFarian 2.2.0\\temp\stage7\00
02'.

ERROR!!! Post-Processing failed!

Please make sure you have .NET Framework 2.0 installed.

If the problem persists, please report it at the mobileread forums.
Dave Qua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #116
RTbar
RTbar began at the beginning.

Im running XP and I used 2.16 fine, but now 2.20 wont go past the dialter on page 2
RTbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #117
alex_d
Addict

Overwriting the original PDF and outputting another PDF is definately not what it is supposed to be doing. I've found and fixed the problem. And I think I've found how to fix the .net error, but Dave will let me know regarding that.

I've also deleted all the captions referencing the evil AutoImager.

PDFrasterfarian 2.2.1

"Sweet! This is nice, I'll have to give it a whirl and compare it with previous runs in your earlier version. Must've been a bugger to write your own filter to apply (a friend of mine did one with a stego-detection program he wrote, but it was done it Java... I think). Thanks Alex!"

Actually, the dilate filter turned out mind-numblingly easy. You just read in nine pixels and output the biggest of the bunch. I implemented it as a native C++/CLI library that I call from a .NET executable (in which i read the png into memory and get a pointer to the raw data). Implementing an image filter in Java must have given some horrible performance.

But anyway, please compare the new post-processing. It's easier to read but maybe not as nice to look at as the older fuzzier version. There's also some concern that the mode that i now run ghostscript in will render some fonts incorrectly. I think I'll restore the old processing as an option under Advance mode. If you'd like, you can also try tweaking kernel-processing.cmd/kernel-preview.cmd to see if maybe you can arrive at better settings.

Some notable lines:
line 73/74 which controls ghostscript (the new param -dGridFitTT=3 may give problems. Old behavior was =2)
line 82/83 which runs the contrast-enhancing filter. (new param is -unsharp 2x0.8+2.0, old is -unsharp 2x1+1)

Last edited by alex_d; 03-01-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #118
alex_d
Addict

by the lack of, "omg, pdfrasterfarian formatted my computer," i'm guessing 2.2.1 is working smoothly?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM   #119
TND
TJ
TND began at the beginning.

Just tried the new version. But it seems to be still generating a PDF and overwriting the original PDF file.

Cheers,
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
by the lack of, "omg, pdfrasterfarian formatted my computer," i'm guessing 2.2.1 is working smoothly?
TND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #120
alex_d
Addict

oops, that's because the link is wrong and was pointing back to 2.2.0 (the name of the rar file was also 2.2.0)

here's the right one:
http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...an%202.2.1.rar