Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Thunder007
Thunder007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Calibre 2.0 font rendering on Linux

After installing Calibre 2.0 I noticed a difference in font rendering between 2.0 and 1.48. Here is an example: https://i.imgur.com/hgZF9YL.png

My guess is that Qt 5 is the culprit. Is there any way to get the fonts to look the way they did in 1.48?

I'm using Linux (Debian Wheezy / Ubuntu 12.04).
Thunder007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I know of no way to get back the Qt 4 font rendering. And I agree with you the Qt 4 font rendering was better on linux.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One thing you can do is try changing the interface font in Preferences->Settings to something that looks nicer to your eyes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Thunder007
Thunder007 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Thanks for your reply, Kovid. At least now I know for sure it isn't a local problem.

I tried different fonts, but that didn't make much of a difference. Well, I guess I have to wait until the Qt 5 devs solve the rendering issue. In the meantime I can always use 1.48.
Thunder007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try a bold or semibold font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Supposedly, this should be fixed with QT v. 5.4.1.

Reference: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-41590
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 2.0, font, linux, rendering