Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
charmees
charmees began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
bootloop

I have Sony PRS-t1 and the opening book screen keeps flickering and keep rebooting it seems.

More details
  1. Not rooted
  2. Dont know firmware version
  3. The reader does not show up in my computer nor "Reader for PC" app
  4. Did soft and hard reset, still bootloop

I read that I can boot into some kind of recovery mode or flash it, but not really sure.

I don't care about the books on there, just want to get it working. Where should I start?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by charmees; 11-18-2018 at 02:31 PM.
charmees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Turn it Off Wait a few Mins..... then turn back on.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
If Barbara1955's suggestion doesn't work, you could try Porkupan's SD rescue package.
This can be complicated, check out this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...72&postcount=5
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
charmees

Thank you for responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Turn it Off Wait a few Mins..... then turn back on.
It can not be turned off I think, pressing/holding reset, nor turn off does nothing unfortunately. The openining book window is always on and the reader is blinking orange light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
If Barbara1955's suggestion doesn't work, you could try Porkupan's SD rescue package.
This can be complicated, check out this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...72&postcount=5

There are 2 steps on the guide.
  1. Press and hold HOME and MENU before pressing POWER on the Reader and keep HOME and MENU pressed (this is crucial!)
  2. Wait until the progress bar in the “Opening book" page has reached the right side (about 20 seconds). The message will change to “Updating”. Release buttons. From now on there should be no more visible activity except for the constant blinking of the orange light (within the power button).

Question
  1. I did and it and hold the buttons, good news is that this is the first time over long time I see something moving on the screen, the Opening book progress bar moved from 0 to 100. Problem is that, I hold the buttons for couple of minutes, but progress was 100%, but the updating message did not appear. Any suggestions?

EDIT:
After 15 minutes I see that the progress bar has moved back to 0, maybe it restarted itself, but still stuck at 0 now. Checked the sd card, the diag.log did not also appear

Last edited by charmees; 11-19-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take out the Battery. Wait about 5 mins then put it back in.

Last suggestion Buy a New eReader.
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
charmees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Take out the Battery. Wait about 5 mins then put it back in.

Last suggestion Buy a New eReader.
Any way to take it out without needing to solder it to place?
Old 11-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whenever one adds a ePub from an unknown source, one should have used the SD card not the main memory.
Because when this particular ePub is defective, one way or another, the Sony will do exactly as described.
1. Remove the SD card with the offending book.
2. Use the hard reset upon the Sony, instructions are in forum. All data is however lost.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
charmees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Whenever one adds a ePub from an unknown source, one should have used the SD card not the main memory.
Because when this particular ePub is defective, one way or another, the Sony will do exactly as described.
1. Remove the SD card with the offending book.
2. Use the hard reset upon the Sony, instructions are in forum. All data is however lost.
Yeah, it is on my main drive. So any suggestions, how to continue?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Well the battery Will Died on it own.... When it does Don't recharge for awhile.

Walmart is having a Sale NOW on Kobo Aura 2nd edition for $50
Old 11-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Before giving up, try my guide. It has worked for me on a couple PRS-T1's with different types of lock-ups/brickings. You must have a micro SD card and a way to access it directly from your computer. This can be a card reader, another Sony Reader or even a tablet/cell phone.

My guide
http://www.mediafire.com/file/uu8qai...de_v1.odt/file
Most sections are cut/pastes from other guides or forum posts. There is an appendix at the end for things you SHOULD know before starting, but if you are a beginner, may not.

Files you will need (mediafire links are mine):
Linux Serial USB Driver (for Windows): http://www.mediafire.com/file/aj77g0...c-acm.inf/file
HxD Hex Editor: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
PuTTY (assuming you're using Windows): https://putty.org/
Porkupan's SD Rescue Package: http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...ard-rescue.zip
Rupor Rescue (Recover Console): http://www.mediafire.com/file/8e5u4r...e%2529.7z/file
Latests Firmware for PRS-T1 (you can also go to 1.0.05 if you prefer): https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/W0009912
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote