Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
jayjellol
jayjellol began at the beginning.

Device: 2015 paper white
help needed kindle PW folder-collection conversion

Hello

if anyone can help me, ive just been given a 2015 PW, (firmware 5611) and im looking to transfer my books from my old KK via usb. I used Web Based Kindle Collection Maker to create a collections json based on the folder structure i have all my books in and put that on the old KK. this worked a treat, is there anyway to replicate a similar set up on my new PW? cheers for any help offered, ive spent an hour googling but cant seem to find a clear plan of action yet.

Happy christmas all!
jayjellol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You need to be jailbroken first. Then install the KUAL extension "LibrarianSync", which has an option to build collections based on folder structure. (It can also communicate with the calibre plugin Kindle Collections for fine-grained control.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #3
jayjellol
jayjellol began at the beginning.

Device: 2015 paper white
cheers. is it possible to jailbreak the paperwhite 2015? i think my fw may be to high to do it.

Is there no way to import my KK's collections to the paperwhite?
jayjellol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If I remember right the Kindle Keyboard was made before they had cloud collections. Unless there was some update that changed that (I sold my KK years ago) it's collections are just local. So you'll have to create the collections on your new Kindle and put the books you want into it.

And now's the time for my favorite sermon: don't put so many books on your Kindle and you'll find it a far more graceful device with far fewer complications.

That was fun.

In any case the Paperwhite is so much nicer for reading than the Kindle Keyboard that it's worth whatever trouble you have setting it up.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjellol View Post
cheers. is it possible to jailbreak the paperwhite 2015? i think my fw may be to high to do it.
If you are comfortable with manipulating a serial port you can still jailbreak, but there is currently no closed-Kindle jailbreak.

Quote:
Is there no way to import my KK's collections to the paperwhite?
You always used to be able to import synced collections from one Kindle to another, but I am not sure how you would go about converting those to the new Cloud Collections scheme.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote