Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
emerson
emerson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen.)
Post Custom font doesn't work with KF8/AZW3 files

I use a custom font on my Kindle Keyboard. It works flawlessly with most content, but not all. Articles from the web (sent through Amazon’s and Readability’s Send to Kindle add-ons for Chrome) are always displayed with the default font (Caecilia) – even though the menu shows “alt” as the selected font.

Questions:

1. Why does it happen?

2. Is there any way to make the custom font work with articles from the web?

Thanks in advance. (I’m sorry if that question was already answered, but I’ve tried to search and I couldn’t find anything.)

Last edited by emerson; 09-19-2014 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Title
emerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Check if those files are in new KF8 format. If I'm remembering things correctly that alt "font hack" via reader.pref edit is in effect only for old mobi format and not for KF8/azw3 books. You can check if that is the case by copying one .azw3 book and opening the book.

So if that's the case the only way to use your custom font in both mobi and azw3 books is to install this font hack and and after install delete "nobrowser" file from linkfonts folder to activate the font override for browser font/font used for KF8/azw3 books. And then reboot your Kindle.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 AM   #3
emerson

Thank you for the answer.

You're right, the files are AZW3, and I was using the reader.pref way.

Now I installed the font hack and I deleted the nobrowser file, but it didn't work.

When I try to open any AZW3 file, a message box appears saying "The selected item could not be opened". (If I don't delete the nobrowser file, the file opens, but not with the custom font. Same with the reader.pref thing.)

I can still open MOBI files with no problem. They appear with the custom font.

Any other suggestion?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You rebooted your Kindle after deleting nobrowser file? That reboot shoul have taken long time to complete because it is rebuilding fontconfig cache. Are you using KUAL? If you are maybe try choosing the option to rebuild fontcongig cache. Maybe contact @NiLuJe via PM and ask him for help using his fonts hack. I don't have Kindle 3 anymore.

But it should all work after deleting nobrowser file... For those problematic books those changing font in Aa menu to san serif or monospace work, or is font stuck always on Caecilia/the default serif font?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
emerson

Yes, I rebooted the Kindle after deleting the nobrowser file. It really took a long time.

I'm not using KUAL.

When I open AZW3 files with the nobrowser file in the linkfonts folder, I can use the Aa menu to change the fonts (regular, condensed and sans serif) with no problems.

When I try to open AZW3 files after deleting the nobrowser file (and rebooting the device), the book doesn't even open. Its title appears for few seconds on the status bar at the top of the screen, then the message box with "The selected item could not be opened" pops up.

I'll try contacting NiLuJe or asking for more help in his hacks thread.

I'm also considering trying to come up with some method to automatically convert files sent via Send to Kindle to MOBI. (I tested sending an HTML file to my Kindle e-mail, and Amazon unfortunately converted it to AZW3.)

I don't mind manually converting AZW3 books to MOBI, one at a time, because I read slowly. But doing that with articles from the web would be annoying.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Tags
custom font, font, send to kindle