Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Scratched paperwhite screen

Basically is there any way to make the scratch go away or should I get a new one?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
maybe you vould try this
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Scratc...c-Lens-Glasses

I think you 've got nothing to loose
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1

I think you're SOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagnostis View Post
maybe you vould try this
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Scratc...c-Lens-Glasses

I think you 've got nothing to loose
That does not work. Most stuff like that takes scratches out by polishing the surface a fraction of a millimeter, to just below the scratch. If you do that to a Kindle, you'll destroy the screen. If you don't need that stuff for anything else, you'll just have wasted more money.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
What about the pencil eraser technique?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I don't know about that one.

Most scratch removing techniques polish the scratch out of the surface, but that is the one thing you can't do on a screen. All coating and top layers will be destroyed.

I think that replacing the screen would be the cheapest option that can actually work, short of buying a new device. You could contact Amazon: sometimes they give discounts or a gift card even if the damage is your own doing.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I do not know the exact construction but are you SURE the top layer of our PW screens is functional? Seems more likely to me the light guide is a lower layer and there should be at least a thin protection-only layer at the top, just as a general touch-device design rule.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Image showing the screen layers of the paperwhite:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazonpaperwhite-2.jpg
Views:	3456
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	119481  
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

So, the light guide is actually the top layer. Maybe it has some protective coating, but I'm quite sure that you'll damage both if you polish the surface.

I'm of the opinion that any screen that's scratched is basically gone if it doesn't have a glass plate as a protective cover.